The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong Numbers on Uniforms

So here is the situation. Regular season high school tournament. Team A is the host team and plays the 1st game of the tournament. They also play the 3rd game (which I am umpiring). Team B wins the toss and elects to be home. Manager from Team A comes to the plate meeting and turns in his lineup card and exchanges with Team B and we start the game.

After the third hitter for Team A hits, Team B's manager calls time and comes over and tells me that Team A batted out of order. I pull out Team A's lineup card and none of the numbers match up for the first three hitters. Team A's manager then states that he forgot that his team switched uniforms from the first game that they played and that he accidentally wrote down the other uniform numbers.

Team A's manager makes a new lineup card with the appropriate numbers matching the appropriate names and gives a new copy to myself and Team B's manager. Team B's manager says that everything is alright and to play on so the game continues.

My question is, if Team B's manager would not have said play on, what would the appropriate ruling if any had been? Essentially every player on the lineup card had the wrong number listed for him.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
So here is the situation. Regular season high school tournament. Team A is the host team and plays the 1st game of the tournament. They also play the 3rd game (which I am umpiring). Team B wins the toss and elects to be home. Manager from Team A comes to the plate meeting and turns in his lineup card and exchanges with Team B and we start the game.

After the third hitter for Team A hits, Team B's manager calls time and comes over and tells me that Team A batted out of order. I pull out Team A's lineup card and none of the numbers match up for the first three hitters. Team A's manager then states that he forgot that his team switched uniforms from the first game that they played and that he accidentally wrote down the other uniform numbers.

Team A's manager makes a new lineup card with the appropriate numbers matching the appropriate names and gives a new copy to myself and Team B's manager. Team B's manager says that everything is alright and to play on so the game continues.

My question is, if Team B's manager would not have said play on, what would the appropriate ruling if any had been? Essentially every player on the lineup card had the wrong number listed for him.
Numbers help us match player to name, but it's the NAMES that matter on the lineup cards.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
GT gave the answer here. My worry is the implication that you went with it because Team B's coach said it was ok, rather than because of the rule.

Say the entire lineup was wrong (names too), but Team B's coach said it was ok... would you allow that? Hope not.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

The opposing coach had no problem with it so why should I have made it into a big deal? There is a big difference between the name and number being different than just the number being different.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-1-1

Casebook 1.1.3
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:49am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
GT gave the answer here. My worry is the implication that you went with it because Team B's coach said it was ok, rather than because of the rule.

Say the entire lineup was wrong (names too), but Team B's coach said it was ok... would you allow that? Hope not.
Team B coach would have to make a legal appeal each time. That's not the umpires job. Why would Team B coach want to be a dick if he is fine with it?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Team B coach would have to make a legal appeal each time. That's not the umpires job. Why would Team B coach want to be a dick if he is fine with it?
I don't know about anywhere else but in Texas, the regular season tournaments don't count towards whether a team goes to the playoffs or not (only district games do), so they're basically glorified scrimmages, so there's little incentive to be a dick.

Second, coaching is a tight circle. From what I've heard from my coaches, anyone who gets a reputation as a dick will get basically "black balled" from ever finding another job as no one will want to work with him and if he is a head coach, he will find it really hard to get quality assistants.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:21pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I don't know about anywhere else but in Texas, the regular season tournaments don't count towards whether a team goes to the playoffs or not (only district games do), so they're basically glorified scrimmages, so there's little incentive to be a dick.

Second, coaching is a tight circle. From what I've heard from my coaches, anyone who gets a reputation as a dick will get basically "black balled" from ever finding another job as no one will want to work with him and if he is a head coach, he will find it really hard to get quality assistants.
This I know from firsthand experience. I doubt even coaches who are in the same district would more than shrug their shoulders if this happened in a district game. I do believe FED goes by names not numbers anyhow.

In most districts, half the teams make the playoffs. It's mostly just seeding they worry about.