The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Back Again With More Equipment Questions

Just found out last night (Communication issues? What communication issues?) my son is expected to be behind the plate this year as well as working bases. We bought a good mask (thanks again for feedback), but now need advice on plate gear. He will only be doing up to age 12 recreation ball so, while there may be the odd kid throwing hard, the quality of ball is typical LL/Pony/Dizzy Dean.

Now me, I would prefer he get the best/greatest now and not have to worry about upgrading down the road. Based on what I've read on the forum here's what I would pick out:
  • Diamond iX3 Shin Guards
  • Wilson Westvest Platinum
  • New Balance 460 Plate Shoes
Would appreciate your feedback on the above and if you believe there are safe alternatives to any. He's paying for all of this out of future game checks so, while safety is a prime concern, cost is also a consideration if there is a "push" between two equal pieces of equipment that are priced differently.

Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:19am
Official & ***** Member

The items you listed are high-quality and should last a very long time, if properly cared for. I'd check out eBay, or ask other umpires in your area if they have any good used equipment for loan or sale.

FWIW, you can get hurt just as easily in a youth game as in a HS game. I've known several umpires that suffered broken collarbones, broken toes, etc. due to poor equipment.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply CT, your thoughts are like mine on price/quality and ability to get injured but it helps hearing it from someone who actually does this.

Follow-on question - How large a size of polo should he get to wear over the chest protector. He's a L in regular size so would XL work, or should he go up 2 sizes to XXL?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Champion CP and shins will offer a significant reduction in cost without a corresponding reduction in protection. As long as you are looking at NB shoes, you should also consider Reeboks. They are comparable in price.

If it is at all possible, I strongly advise you to travel to a dealer where your son can try everything on. There is no substitute for that. If you have no local dealer, the guy who owns this place is a good friend of mine. I can personally vouch for his honesty and integrity.

The Sports Loft: Home
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Thanks for the quick reply CT, your thoughts are like mine on price/quality and ability to get injured but it helps hearing it from someone who actually does this.

Follow-on question - How large a size of polo should he get to wear over the chest protector. He's a L in regular size so would XL work, or should he go up 2 sizes to XXL?
I would recommend only one size up for plate. XL should be fine. Two sizes up is a bit too baggy.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:56am
Archaic Power Monger

Also keep in mind depending what brand shirt he goes with, you may need to size down for the bases as the shirts are cut for the plate.

I second Dash's recommendation to try and find a way to try on the gear. I am 5'9" and bought a Platinum a few years back that turned out to be very short on me and left my bottom two ribs exposed yet there are folks taller than I for whom the Platinum fits just fine.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Just to reiterate: that dang ball is just as hard at lower levels, and the catchers don't always do their job.

I would also echo the "try stuff on" suggestion; I have oddly shaped feet, and I have a terrible time getting shoes that fit anyway, and plate shoes are worse.

I'm another West Vest fan. I've gotten comments because of wearing it to low-level softball games, but that ball ain't soft, and I've also seen a collarbone broken in those games.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

One of the bonuses of buying the WV and NB shoes is their resale value, down the road. That makes their overall cost less in the long run.

Good choices.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 11:35am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

Rufus,

Shoot me a PM. I have some very good equipment, and uniforms that I will sell at a great price. You won't be disappointed for sure.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I buy one size shirt, sized for plate. A little loose for bases, but not a big deal.