The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:33am
We don't rent pigs

Team A properly submits its team member list and designates its five starters. However, the number for each team member is erroneously indicated. The error is not detected until after the game has started. Ruling: Only one team technical foul is charged regardless of the number of players and substitutes not wearing the number indicated in the score book. Any substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the score book will not result in a penalty as the one maximum technical has already been charged to the team for an administrative infraction.

This was a question on our test. I put F then when I got home and was checking my test I marked that one wrong and now I'm not sure. 10-1-2 is the rule and it states: One foul only per team regardless of the number of infractions.
But it also states: (Arts. 2b, c, d) Penalized when they occur.

So, help me here. Does this mean one and you're covered for the game. "Here come another one. Change his number, too, Jack. Gotcha covered, coach." Or does it mean only that if all 5 starters numbers are wrong it is only one foul then, but each player that enters with a wrong number later is another infraction.

Thanks in advance for help.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Team A properly submits its team member list and designates its five starters. However, the number for each team member is erroneously indicated. The error is not detected until after the game has started. Ruling: Only one team technical foul is charged regardless of the number of players and substitutes not wearing the number indicated in the score book. Any substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the score book will not result in a penalty as the one maximum technical has already been charged to the team for an administrative infraction.

This was a question on our test. I put F then when I got home and was checking my test I marked that one wrong and now I'm not sure. 10-1-2 is the rule and it states: One foul only per team regardless of the number of infractions.
But it also states: (Arts. 2b, c, d) Penalized when they occur.

So, help me here. Does this mean one and you're covered for the game. "Here come another one. Change his number, too, Jack. Gotcha covered, coach." Or does it mean only that if all 5 starters numbers are wrong it is only one foul then, but each player that enters with a wrong number later is another infraction.

Thanks in advance for help.
3.2.2 situation A in the case book has your question's answer.

By when they occur it means when the first incorrect number is discovered.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You know, this brings up an interesting question for me. How the heck is the ref supposed to know if the players are wearing the wrong number? If a player gets her number changed part way through the game, I might notice. BUt if they all start off with the wrong number, and they keep them throughout the game, the only person who might figure it out would be the scorekeeper. If it's the visiting team, even the scorekeeper could miss it. So would it be such a tragedy to just not notice?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

If nobody notices, no call is necessary. If the table notifies you, or if the other team notices and notifies you, assess the penalty.

I've never seen a ref take the book, walk up to #10 and say, "are you Jane Smith?"
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

After the 10 minute situation is handled, you can only have one administrative scorebook T on a team, no matter who many changes are made.

2 could have the wrong jersey number, 4 arent in the book, it doesn't matter. It's one T.