The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Wrong Numbers on Uniforms (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/90169-wrong-numbers-uniforms.html)

tankmjg24 Thu Mar 22, 2012 02:05pm

Wrong Numbers on Uniforms

So here is the situation. Regular season high school tournament. Team A is the host team and plays the 1st game of the tournament. They also play the 3rd game (which I am umpiring). Team B wins the toss and elects to be home. Manager from Team A comes to the plate meeting and turns in his lineup card and exchanges with Team B and we start the game.

After the third hitter for Team A hits, Team B's manager calls time and comes over and tells me that Team A batted out of order. I pull out Team A's lineup card and none of the numbers match up for the first three hitters. Team A's manager then states that he forgot that his team switched uniforms from the first game that they played and that he accidentally wrote down the other uniform numbers.

Team A's manager makes a new lineup card with the appropriate numbers matching the appropriate names and gives a new copy to myself and Team B's manager. Team B's manager says that everything is alright and to play on so the game continues.

My question is, if Team B's manager would not have said play on, what would the appropriate ruling if any had been? Essentially every player on the lineup card had the wrong number listed for him.

Rich Thu Mar 22, 2012 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankmjg24 (Post 833658)
So here is the situation. Regular season high school tournament. Team A is the host team and plays the 1st game of the tournament. They also play the 3rd game (which I am umpiring). Team B wins the toss and elects to be home. Manager from Team A comes to the plate meeting and turns in his lineup card and exchanges with Team B and we start the game.

After the third hitter for Team A hits, Team B's manager calls time and comes over and tells me that Team A batted out of order. I pull out Team A's lineup card and none of the numbers match up for the first three hitters. Team A's manager then states that he forgot that his team switched uniforms from the first game that they played and that he accidentally wrote down the other uniform numbers.

Team A's manager makes a new lineup card with the appropriate numbers matching the appropriate names and gives a new copy to myself and Team B's manager. Team B's manager says that everything is alright and to play on so the game continues.

My question is, if Team B's manager would not have said play on, what would the appropriate ruling if any had been? Essentially every player on the lineup card had the wrong number listed for him.

Numbers help us match player to name, but it's the NAMES that matter on the lineup cards.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 22, 2012 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankmjg24 (Post 833658)

GT gave the answer here. My worry is the implication that you went with it because Team B's coach said it was ok, rather than because of the rule.

Say the entire lineup was wrong (names too), but Team B's coach said it was ok... would you allow that? Hope not.

tankmjg24 Thu Mar 22, 2012 04:13pm

The opposing coach had no problem with it so why should I have made it into a big deal? There is a big difference between the name and number being different than just the number being different.

Rich Ives Thu Mar 22, 2012 04:33pm

Rule 7-1-1

Casebook 1.1.3

Steven Tyler Fri Mar 23, 2012 02:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 833664)
GT gave the answer here. My worry is the implication that you went with it because Team B's coach said it was ok, rather than because of the rule.

Say the entire lineup was wrong (names too), but Team B's coach said it was ok... would you allow that? Hope not.

Team B coach would have to make a legal appeal each time. That's not the umpires job. Why would Team B coach want to be a dick if he is fine with it?

bniu Fri Mar 23, 2012 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 833820)
Team B coach would have to make a legal appeal each time. That's not the umpires job. Why would Team B coach want to be a dick if he is fine with it?

I don't know about anywhere else but in Texas, the regular season tournaments don't count towards whether a team goes to the playoffs or not (only district games do), so they're basically glorified scrimmages, so there's little incentive to be a dick.

Second, coaching is a tight circle. From what I've heard from my coaches, anyone who gets a reputation as a dick will get basically "black balled" from ever finding another job as no one will want to work with him and if he is a head coach, he will find it really hard to get quality assistants.

Steven Tyler Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bniu (Post 833971)
I don't know about anywhere else but in Texas, the regular season tournaments don't count towards whether a team goes to the playoffs or not (only district games do), so they're basically glorified scrimmages, so there's little incentive to be a dick.

Second, coaching is a tight circle. From what I've heard from my coaches, anyone who gets a reputation as a dick will get basically "black balled" from ever finding another job as no one will want to work with him and if he is a head coach, he will find it really hard to get quality assistants.

This I know from firsthand experience. I doubt even coaches who are in the same district would more than shrug their shoulders if this happened in a district game. I do believe FED goes by names not numbers anyhow.

In most districts, half the teams make the playoffs. It's mostly just seeding they worry about.