The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Yet another balk question

So I am just checking on my interpretation of the rule. FED rules if it matters.

In my game today we had R1 with LHP who picked his leg up and picked the runner off of first base. I am U1 and my partner who is in B position signals balk. From my vantage point everything looked good. Coach came out to my partner and almost as soon as he got there he went back to his dugout so no fireworks.

In our post game I mentioned that I did not see the balk and asked what the pitcher did. My partner said that while going to first that the pitchers free foot landed on the backside of the rubber. He did not cross back behind the rubber, just raised his leg and went to first and his free foot landed behind. Now I thought that this was a legal move as the pitcher is gaining ground towards the base he is throwing to and he is throwing directly to the base. I thought that the cross behind the rubber part of the balk rule came into play when the pitcher's free foot crossed behind then they attempted a pick off (other than second of course).

Thoughts?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

If he steps and throws to an occupied base, it doesn't matter that the foot lands a bit behind the rubber.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't sound like a balk to me...

(PS - you are U1 ... why is someone at B?)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:23am
Archaic Power Monger

It sounds to me like your partner misunderstands the the requirements to deliver the pitch (free foot passing completely back behind the rubber) with where his foot may land when attempting to throw to a base.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Doesn't sound like a balk to me...

(PS - you are U1 ... why is someone at B?)
Idiotic FED notation for the PU, I'm guessing. Next thing we'll see him post R1 at third base or something equally idiotic.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I am U1 and my partner who is in B position
Thoughts?
Tank,

For your future reference, in the 2-man system, the plate umpire is referred to as PU and the base umpire is referred to as BU.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:01am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Idiotic FED notation for the PU, I'm guessing. Next thing we'll see him post R1 at third base or something equally idiotic.

Of course R1 is at third base because NFHS Rules specifically state that B1 is the first batter and if he gets on base he becomes R1, and and downe the lineup we go for each inning. I work only games using NFHS Rules so when I post questions I am going to use NFHS nomenclature. I know that many here look down upon NFHS Rules, but some of us here only work NFHS Rules, and logically it makes sense: R1 on 3B, next two batters make outs, R4 on 1B, and B5 is the Batter.

I will admit that labeling the Umpires U1 for the P and U2, etc. for the Bases is stupid.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Idiotic FED notation for the PU, I'm guessing.
Ah. Was trying to picture U1 in A ... and U3 in B, then wondering if he was working 4 man for some reason - then wondering why U2 would call a Balk like this that U1 passed on.

PU=U1 didn't even occur to me.

Must have more coffee.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Of course R1 is at third base because NFHS Rules specifically state that B1 is the first batter and if he gets on base he becomes R1, and and downe the lineup we go for each inning.
That doesn't mean it isn't stupid.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Of course R1 is at third base because NFHS Rules specifically state that B1 is the first batter and if he gets on base he becomes R1, and and downe the lineup we go for each inning. I work only games using NFHS Rules so when I post questions I am going to use NFHS nomenclature. I know that many here look down upon NFHS Rules, but some of us here only work NFHS Rules, and logically it makes sense: R1 on 3B, next two batters make outs, R4 on 1B, and B5 is the Batter.

I will admit that labeling the Umpires U1 for the P and U2, etc. for the Bases is stupid.

MTD, Sr.
That's not the nomenclature, though. There would never be an R4. If your scenario happened, it would be R1 on third base, R2 on first base. I've never seen an R4 referenced in a case play.

(How would this ever be easier than saying: "R1, R3, 2 outs"? I get the softball-only umpires not liking the much better baseball nomenclature because they hate everything to do with baseball, but why would anyone use the FED way over the much easier "normal" way?)
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

This is the 2nd balk question where one of our brothers called a balk for a free foot landing "behind the rubber". Did someone "change " the rules?

Also, I was admonished in the last post because I stated that ..."it doesn't matter where the free foot lands as long as there is distance and direction...". Seems that this is exactly what everyone here is saying for this post.

Interesting.......
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Wording of FED rule 6-2-4f regarding infractions that result in a balk:

"...failing to pitch to the batter when the entire non-pivot foot passes behind the perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcher's plate, except when feinting or throwing to second base in attempt to put out a runner."

If the pitcher's foot landed "on the backside of the rubber" as described in the OP, then it did pass behind the "perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcher's plate". Remember your geometry: planes extend indefinitely, and the "perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcher's plate" would not be limited to just the 24" width of the pitcher's plate.

Having said all that, I doubt I would have been able to see enough to call a balk from either behind the plate or from the B position.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post

"...failing to pitch to the batter when the entire non-pivot foot passes behind the perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcher's plate, except when feinting or throwing to second base in attempt to put out a runner."

If the pitcher's foot landed "on the backside of the rubber" as described in the OP, then it did pass behind the "perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcher's plate". Remember your geometry: planes extend indefinitely, and the "perpendicular plane of the back edge of the pitcher's plate" would not be limited to just the 24" width of the pitcher's plate.

Having said all that, I doubt I would have been able to see enough to call a balk from either behind the plate or from the B position.
It would be pretty hard for that entire foot to come behind the rubber on the step to first base. Couldn't imagine I'd even be looking to pick that nit.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Couldn't imagine I'd even be looking to pick that nit.
Agreed.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post

See bolded, italized and underline portions... they contradict.

West Houston Mike