The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction or just baseball?

This must be the year for crazy plays for my games -

Quick question about two plays at plate ...

1) Base hit to center and R2 comes to plate. Throw moves F2 toward incoming runner and R2 tries to go head first but runs into moving catcher. It is not malicious, but coach asks about a slide and I told him F2 moved into his path - nothing malicious we keep the out no ejection.

2) Bases loaded and BR hits roller to F1. Should be easy DP, but F1 throws it low and F2 drops to knees on top of the plate and drops the ball. R3 is only two steps from home thinking he's out. Seeing the ball loose, R3 tries for the plate making a head first attempt and falls over F2 who is on the ground scrambling for the ball. R3 misses the plate and has to scramble back to home just as F1 gets the ball and tries to tag him out. I made the call of safe, coach asks about a slide and I told him nothing malicious, just baseball etc.,

In retrospect I probably could have called him out but the ball is loose and then I thought about obstruction from F2 since he was blocking the plate without the ball.

Anyway, just looking for some perspective.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 11:32pm

Both plays sound like baseball to me. Play on.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Under what rule set was this game being played (OBR, FED, LL)?
I don't do Little League, but if I'm not mistaken, head first slides while advancing are prohibited there. Other than that, it looks like "just baseball".

Last edited by rbmartin; Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 06:18am. Reason: added thought
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post

1) Base hit to center and R2 comes to plate. Throw moves F2 toward incoming runner and R2 tries to go head first but runs into moving catcher. It is not malicious, but coach asks about a slide and I told him F2 moved into his path - nothing malicious we keep the out no ejection.

2) Bases loaded and BR hits roller to F1. Should be easy DP, but F1 throws it low and F2 drops to knees on top of the plate and drops the ball. R3 is only two steps from home thinking he's out. Seeing the ball loose, R3 tries for the plate making a head first attempt and falls over F2 who is on the ground scrambling for the ball. R3 misses the plate and has to scramble back to home just as F1 gets the ball and tries to tag him out. I made the call of safe, coach asks about a slide and I told him nothing malicious, just baseball etc.,

In retrospect I probably could have called him out but the ball is loose and then I thought about obstruction from F2 since he was blocking the plate without the ball.

Thanks
David
On the surface they seem like baseball to me also however, in 1. (NFHS) I guess it could be one of those HTBT situations. Did F2 have the ball when he moved into the way of the runner? And did he deny access to the plate? Sometimes there is such a fine line there that it is not always obvious. NCAA and OBR it is just baseball.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

It's hard to be sure without seeing them, but it sounds to me as if both plays are OBS under FED rules (2.22.1 C, 8.3.2 C). Blocking access to the base without the ball is OBS, regardless of whether (1) the throw moves F2 into the runner's path (8.3.2 K), or (2) the runner pulls up, thinking he's going to be tagged (the OBS gives the defense an unfair advantage here).
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post

Thanks
David
Nothing wrong with your comments to defense about the slides. I do have OBS (if it ends up mattering) on both plays though.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 08:19am
Archaic Power Monger

In Fed, I'd have obstruction for both. A fielder must have possession of the ball in order to block the base.

In OBR, I'd have nothing for either play.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
In Fed, I'd have obstruction for both. A fielder must have possession of the ball in order to block the base.

In OBR, I'd have nothing for either play.
Agreed.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Since the runner scored eventually, I'd probably let this play go under any rule set. If it was an NFHS game, and he was eventually tagged out in a scenario decribed in situation 2, I'd have obstruction. As Welpe pointed out, you MUST have the ball if you're in the runners way.

By no means under any rule set do you reward the defense for screwing up the play (except for a malicious contact situation).
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Since the runner scored eventually, I'd probably let this play go under any rule set. If it was an NFHS game, and he was eventually tagged out in a scenario decribed in situation 2, I'd have obstruction. As Welpe pointed out, you MUST have the ball if you're in the runners way.

By no means under any rule set do you reward the defense for screwing up the play (except for a malicious contact situation).
For the record, you have obstruction when you have obstruction... you don't wait to see what happens... in a case like THIS play, the OBS is nearly instantaneously followed by a safe call (assuming he scored anyway), but for forms sake (and some TWP I don't want to get into here), call it anyway and then when they score, you don't have to DO anything with it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
....but for forms sake ..... call it anyway and then when they score, you don't have to DO anything with it.
Probably good advice...thanks.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Thanks for the perspective. It was NFHS game.

In re-reading my original post I didn't put in play 1 that F2 caught the ball just as the runner began his slide it was bang bang so we did not rule obstruction. Probably should have.

I think the coach wanted the ejection more than anything.

We did rule obstruction on the 2nd play.

Thanks for the help

David

Last edited by David B; Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 12:08pm. Reason: add comment