The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

I just thought of this one today.

Runners on first and second. Pitcher balks. Runner who was on second goes to third but runner on first does not want to go to second. Probally because they have a special first and third steal play or something like that they want to do. So my question is does he have to advance to second or can he stay at first. I know that awarded bases means the right to advance without being put out, so I would think he would be able to stay at first, but I don't know for sure.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

Runners on first and second. Pitcher balks. Runner who was on second goes to third but runner on first does not want to go to second. Probally because they have a special first and third steal play or something like that they want to do. So my question is does he have to advance to second or can he stay at first. I know that awarded bases means the right to advance without being put out, so I would think he would be able to stay at first, but I don't know for sure.
No. He advances. A base on balls is an award, too. He cannot refuse an award. If he continues to refuse after being ordered to take second, he would be ejected.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

What Rich said

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

No. He advances. A base on balls is an award, too. He cannot refuse an award. If he continues to refuse after being ordered to take second, he would be ejected.
And his replacement would be at second base.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

If a hitter is trying for the "cycle", can he stop on a base after hitting the ball out of the park?
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
If a hitter is trying for the "cycle", can he stop on a base after hitting the ball out of the park?
No, but I guess he might be able to "abandon" the bases (e.g., touch first, second, third and then head straight for the dugout).
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

We needed to open a 7-year-old thread to answer that burning issue?
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
He could always go back once he got there.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

No, he couldn't (legally).

edit: I just read mbyron's post about this being seven years old. closed.
Closed Thread