The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
...This is especially true if BU in A gives a clear and vocal declaration of that's a catch.
On a can of corn????? Really???
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:41pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
So, what is the penalty for your make believe rule?
You're slipping there. I accidently used A instead of B for the position of the BU in my post, also.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
On a can of corn????? Really???
And this wrong because...................?

Try this link. RID
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 12:14am

Quote:
And this wrong because...................?

Try this link. RID
That link is wrong on so many levels.

The statement that you would give a clear and vocal declaration of catch on a can of corn, i.e. an obvious catch situation, is only wrong on one level.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 01:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
That link is wrong on so many levels.

The statement that you would give a clear and vocal declaration of catch on a can of corn, i.e. an obvious catch situation, is only wrong on one level.
Pardon moi for not being anally retentively challenged. Is it just tooooo much trouble to give a clenched fist, with a simple, "That's a catch"?

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 01:31pm.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 01:38pm

Quote:
Pardon moi for not being anally retentively challenged. Is it just tooooo much trouble to give a clenched fist, with a simple, "That's a catch"?
You're not? Damn, you sure sound like it. Giving a big hearty "That's a catch" for a routine fly ball out to CF sounds about as anal as you can get on a baseball field. A simple arm signal is the proper mechanic. Sorry if that is too anal for you. Now, OTOH, if the CF is running for the ball, and the catch/no catch is in ANY way in question, then a verbal signal is not only a good idea, but also the proper mechanic. So it just boils down to the original play, which was described as a routine can of corn, in which all participants could readily see for themselves that a catch was imminent. Now, if the CF were to drop said can of corn, then the BU should holler "No catch." I do hope you see the difference here and that you are not too AR challenged to see it!
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 01:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
You're not? Damn, you sure sound like it. Giving a big hearty "That's a catch" for a routine fly ball out to CF sounds about as anal as you can get on a baseball field. A simple arm signal is the proper mechanic. Sorry if that is too anal for you. Now, OTOH, if the CF is running for the ball, and the catch/no catch is in ANY way in question, then a verbal signal is not only a good idea, but also the proper mechanic. So it just boils down to the original play, which was described as a routine can of corn, in which all participants could readily see for themselves that a catch was imminent. Now, if the CF were to drop said can of corn, then the BU should holler "No catch." I do hope you see the difference here and that you are not too AR challenged to see it!
When in the hell did you get the word hearty from? Nobody said anything about an over the top call of "That's a catch". It's just your imagination running away with you.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:45pm

Quote:
When in the hell did you get the word hearty from? Nobody said anything about an over the top call of "That's a catch". It's just your imagination running away with you.
Okay, leave out the word hearty (and big). Change it to audible. Rest of statement stands. Now, explain why it is necessary to tell ANYBODY on the field that you have a catch? Aren't they all seeing what you are?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I thought we had a no-quoting-the-troll policy around here! My ignore can't work if you keep it up, Steve.

That said, the quoted posts make me happy to have left the ignore on. Dumberer and Dumbererer. Someone should remind TB that there's a REASON for the mechanics we are supposed to use. There's no reason to make an audible call at all on an obvious play. Like the new guy in our association who likes to verbally call foul on every tap back to the screen or out of play. Might as well wear a hat that says ROOKIE instead of TASO (or whatever your local hats say). All you're doing by verbalizing the catch on a routine play is notifying coach that you are clueless, and that can't be conducive to having a good day out there.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 10:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

SDS and Steven Tyler arguing. Baseball season has arrived.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You do need to tell your partner. On a can of corn, it's an oral signal to your partner and no signal. But on a routine out at first (by more than a couple of steps) its a signal and no oral call.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 08:38am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
Huh...I actually forgot I had this team tonight, after discussing this today. And yes, they still do it...basically, they are coached to run everything out to (or at least past halfway) to second base on all balls, no matter how routine.

Didn't confuse the defense in tonight's game.
It would be interesting to see how the offense would react if the defense let the ball drop. I assume the BR who had passed R1 would be out anyway, this time for passing. But it might confuse a lesser experienced R1 into running and maybe getting picked off.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 08:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
You do need to tell your partner. On a can of corn, it's an oral signal to your partner and no signal. But on a routine out at first (by more than a couple of steps) its a signal and no oral call.
What? Oral signal to your partner? Never heard of this one. I hope my partner never feels the need to do anything orally with me.

Why on earth would your partner need a "verbal" signal when he is watching the same baseball that you are watching?

"Hey partner, he just caught the ball, in case you are looking at that woman in the stands and not the play."
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 12:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
It would be interesting to see how the offense would react if the defense let the ball drop. I assume the BR who had passed R1 would be out anyway, this time for passing. But it might confuse a lesser experienced R1 into running and maybe getting picked off.

VoiceOfLG:

Your situation is the ideal example of why it is idiotic for a HC to require "Charlie Hustle" actions by his players.

It has been my experience that on deep fly balls to the outfield, B/R almost always touches 1B before the ball is caught. Therefore, in the Original Play (OP), if B2 has passed R1 before F8 caught the Fly Ball he would already had been out.

That said, whether B2 is out before or after he passes R1, NFHS Casebook Play 8.3.3 Situation I allows B2 to act in a manner that could induce the defense to make a play on a Retired Runner. The B/R knows he is out and he should get off the field in the most direct manner that will not interfere with anyother defensive play being made.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why on earth would your partner need a "verbal" signal when he is watching the same baseball that you are watching?
It's my hope my partner isn't watching the same baseball I am. If I'm watching the baseball, I hope he's watching the runners. In any fly ball that I have catch/no catch responsibility, I'm letting my partner know the status: "That's a catch, Steve." or "It's down, Steve." On a tag-up chance, I might even say "Touch, Steve" when the ball is touched.