The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Batter Runner proceeds to second with R1 on first.

Fed Rules. Runner at first no outs. Batter hits a fly ball to CF (can of corn). Runner stays at 1st and the batter runner proceeds to 2nd. The 2nd baseman getting the throw from the center fielder turns and sees this runner and throws the ball toward 2nd. It is an overthrow to the right of home plate. Runner from first goes to 2nd.
Is this interference from a retired runner? Do I have to judge intent on this play or is it handled the same way whether intentional or not?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Can of corn on this one for me, since I've got that T-shirt. I don't have the reference, but the FED interp is essentially this: It's up to the defense to know what is going on, and the situation you've described is NOT interference on the offense.

We have a local HS team that routinely does this under the guise of "hustle" - we're convinced as umpires here that they do it to try to draw a throw, but there is nothing illegal about the B/R running, even passing another runner. I issued the coach a friendly warning (it was a preseason tournament game - a glorified scrimmage) when I first saw them do it about three years ago, but after looking it up afterwards, found that it was not illegal.

It certainly doesn't look good, and usually looks intentional. Intent, as I recall, does not matter, and is especially hard to prove in this case.

Last edited by scarolinablue; Tue Mar 13, 2012 at 12:54pm.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
We have a local HS team that routinely does this under the guise of "hustle" - we're convinced as umpires here that they do it to try to draw a throw, but there is nothing illegal about the B/R running, even passing another runner.
I'm sure you mean nothing illegal about a retired runner passing a teammate. Otherwise, the BR would be out.

I can't find it in the book, but if FED follows OBR on this point, it is explicitly legal to continue to run the bases after being put out.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, meant a retired runner passing a teammate. Thanks for clarifying!

I know I've read a case play in FED on this very topic, but don't have my books with me. I assume it is still in there.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know I've read a case play in FED on this very topic, but don't have my books with me. I assume it is still in there.
I looked and didn't see it. Of course it might be there nonetheless...
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 03:28pm
In Time Out

Defense should be telling F4 "no runner", but trying to deke a throw as a retired batter should come under the heading of "unsportsmanlike like conduct". This is especially true if BU in B gives a clear and vocal declaration of that's a catch. The goofy basstard should be pulling up by then.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 06:36pm. Reason: edited to say B instead of A.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Fed case play 8.3.3I explicitly says it's legal.

JM
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Left hand point, right hand hammer, "He's out!"

Whatever the defense does after that is on them.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Huh...I actually forgot I had this team tonight, after discussing this today. And yes, they still do it...basically, they are coached to run everything out to (or at least past halfway) to second base on all balls, no matter how routine.

Didn't confuse the defense in tonight's game.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Defense should be telling F4 "no runner", but trying to deke a throw as a retired batter should come under the heading of "unsportsmanlike like conduct". This is especially true if BU in A gives a clear and vocal declaration of that's a catch. The goofy basstard should be pulling up by then.

So, what is the penalty for your make believe rule?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Mr. Tyler umpires in Fantasy Land where anything is possible if you just believe and click your red base shoes 3 times.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 12:23pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I said *should* not *would*.

Are you trying to make a point, or trying to pick nits?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 12:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Mr. Tyler umpires in Fantasy Land where anything is possible if you just believe and click your red base shoes 3 times.
Your posts usually read like this to me: BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, etc.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 12:32pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Huh...I actually forgot I had this team tonight, after discussing this today. And yes, they still do it...basically, they are coached to run everything out to (or at least past halfway) to second base on all balls, no matter how routine.

Didn't confuse the defense in tonight's game.
This is more along the lines of what is common at the HS level. Just don't pass the runner if the ball isn't caught.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I've actually seen red base shoes.

Before people get too much in a tizzy, it was a youth game with a high-school age umpire using his game cleats for his umpire shoes.