The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
tag on batter/runner

Had a game last night in which I was the BU. Batter/runner in the 3' running lane and fielder fielded the ball and made what I thought looked like a tag even though the tag was made on the foul side of the batter/runner. I called her out. Then after the play was done I went and conferred with the PU if he had seen anything different. He stated that he didn't see anything because he was watching the girl from third touch home, so I stayed with my out call. Is that proper mechanics to go to my partner after I called her out or not? My thinking later made me wonder. If I called her out, I must have seen something that made me think she was out, similiar to if I am PU and I say the batter offered at a pitch and call a strike, I don't then go to the BU and ask if she went. How should this be handled? Dave
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Had a game last night in which I was the BU. Batter/runner in the 3' running lane and fielder fielded the ball and made what I thought looked like a tag even though the tag was made on the foul side of the batter/runner. I called her out. Then after the play was done I went and conferred with the PU if he had seen anything different. He stated that he didn't see anything because he was watching the girl from third touch home, so I stayed with my out call. Is that proper mechanics to go to my partner after I called her out or not? My thinking later made me wonder. If I called her out, I must have seen something that made me think she was out, similiar to if I am PU and I say the batter offered at a pitch and call a strike, I don't then go to the BU and ask if she went. How should this be handled? Dave
Dave, If you are 100% sure you saw an out in the running lane by all means call the out and make sure you sell it. It's obvious your partner wasn't quite doing his/her job because they they also have a responsibility on that batter-runner running in the shute, yes they must make sure of the touch at the plate, but there is more responsibility to look after.
If the coach comes to you and asks politely for you to check with your partner thinking maybe he/she had a better angle then by all means go ahead and check ( if you want) but make sure that they are 150% sure that there was no tag before you change your call.
Yes if you call a strike you don't check to see if it was a swing after the fact.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Remember that we don't guess outs. If you saw something that made you think it was an out, call it; but don't then suggest you were guessing by asking for help without being challenged. If asked by the offense, by all means ask; but not on your own after calling the out.

If you are so unsure you plan to ask for help, you need to call "safe"; then ask for help. You guess safe, not out. If you call out, stay with it unless asked to go for help from the other angle.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the offensive coach didnt complain about the out call. If you went to PU right after to ask an opinion, you are opening a can of worms. Everyone at that game now thinks you arent sure, and your next call might be interesting...
Wait under after the game, or in later innings to talk w/PU about what they saw...
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Rule of thumb, never guess an out. If you saw it, call it. No need for any more input from anyone else. If you didn't actually see the tag, then "safe" should have been the call, and then you can always get additional info from your partner if requested.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Couldn't agree more with my fellow Umpires. Never 2nd guess yourself unless your asked (and nicely too) by a coach. Otherwise your authority will be 2nd guest all game and future games as well.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Did I physically see the fielder's glove make contact with the runner? No I didn't because the tag was away from me and I was shielded from the play. The play happened so fast I couldn't get a better angle although I am not sure where I could have went to get a better look even if I would have had time. The proximity of the runner and the fielder and the glove going out to make the tag or tag attempt made me believe there was a tag. I am sure some of you have been the PU before and thought maybe the batter got hit by a pitch but didn't actually see or hear it hit her but know where the ball was heading and used her reaction to getting hit to determine if she did in fact get hit. Dave
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I'd say if you didn't actually see a tag you'd have to call safe. Anything else would be speculation. We have to call what we see - even on a HBP. If I don't see it hit them, I don't award them first. If the offense questions that, I'll check with my partner. I call what I see not what I think I saw.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

In a situation like this, I let the runner help me make the call. 99% of the time, you can tell by body language if the tag is made. If the tag isn't made, the offended player will most certainly let you know about it.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, NDblue. That's is exactly what I was talking about. My only question was if I saw something other than an actual tag that made me think there was a tag, and I called her out, and the coach came out and asked me if I would ask my partner, should I since I already called her out? Dave
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Thanks, NDblue. That's is exactly what I was talking about. My only question was if I saw something other than an actual tag that made me think there was a tag, and I called her out, and the coach came out and asked me if I would ask my partner, should I since I already called her out? Dave
If you had any inkling that your partner may have more information to add, absolutely.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If you had any inkling that your partner may have more information to add, absolutely.
Mike, if you had already called her out, you would go to your partner without any prompting from the coaches?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Mike, if you had already called her out, you would go to your partner without any prompting from the coaches?
No, but the post to which I was responding specifically stated that the coach asked Shipwreck to go for help.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Assume you are the BU not 100% sure of the tag, but if you had to make the call, you would call the out. You glance at your partner and it appears that he has a good look at the play. What is the best way to handle this?

a) Make the call (OUT). If the coach requests, you go to your parter for help.
b) Make the call (SAFE), and then check with your partner on your own.
c) Point to your partner (giving up the call).
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

How about d) Make the call (SAFE). If the coach requests, you go to your partner for help. Dave