The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:48pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Has anyone read an umpire manual? That's usually a good place to start when it comes to proper mechanics. Virtually every manual has the plate umpire take a position on the side of the team going onto defense. There are two main reasons for that. First, most substitutions that occur between innings are defensive changes. Offensive changes tend to occur when that player is actually coming to bat. Second, that puts the umpire in a better position to "encourage" the defense to take the field without wasting a lot of time.

The position can change if you think you're going to get an earful from the defensive team, but umpires should be careful not to hide from trouble either.

Umpires should not regularly talk between innings unless you're working with a new umpire and find it beneficial to point things out each half inning. If you wonder why your games take so long, ask yourself how much time you waste talking to your partner.

While not all codes have time limits between innings, umpires should establish a good pace for the game. That's part of your game management. Consider this for a 7 inning game: if you allow 60 seconds between innings (including to start the game) thats 14 minutes per game; 90 seconds = 21 minutes per game; 120 seconds = 28 minutes.

MLB usually allows 2:30 between innings (depending on the channel.) That's 45 minutes per game, not including pitching changes!

Encourage the defense to take the field without unnecessary delay. Don't talk to your partner unless there's a good reason for it. Never make the teams wait for the umpires.
*gasp...read the manual? :-) How dare you make so much sense!
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Has anyone read an umpire manual? That's usually a good place to start when it comes to proper mechanics. Virtually every manual has the plate umpire take a position on the side of the team going onto defense.
I don't recall it being in the CCA manual (but I admit I haven't cracked it open yet thisyear)
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

The PBUC two-man mechanics manual I have says to go to the side away from any potential trouble.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Normally, you go to the side going on defense. The idea is not to have the pitcher coming off cross your path. It's not in the CCA or in FED or in NCAA. It's just something that was taught many years ago.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 12:16pm.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Go to the baseline near the team coming to bat. Alert next batter when 2 pitches are left.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Do you think he won't know that it's his time to bat when the catcher throws the ball down to second base?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump View Post
Alert next batter when 2 pitches are left.
Ah, no. Not even in a Little League would I do that. No alerts, attentions, or fire alarms needed for this one. He can figure it out by himself.

Although I do know a guy who gets off by bellowing "BATTER!" for some odd reason.

Last edited by kylejt; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 10:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I always go to side of defensive team coming OFF the field, unless there is good reason not to do so, based on the half inning just ended. I don't think it really matters, just avoid trouble.

Publius is pulling our chain or a troll.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Ah, no. Not even in a Little League would I do that. No alerts, attentions, or fire alarms needed for this one. He can figure it out by himself.

Although I do know a guy who gets off by bellowing "BATTER!" for some odd reason.
The NCAA requires us to summon the leadoff batter to the plate with 30 seconds to go on the between-innings pitch clock.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
The NCAA requires us to summon the leadoff batter to the plate with 30 seconds to go on the between-innings pitch clock.
Yep, and the CCA manual a couple years ago said to go to the side of the team coming to bat. It wasn't required, but was mentioned in the front of the book when they were talking about keeping the game moving between innings.

I tell the pitcher when he has two pitches left and the batter when one is left.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
MiLB umpires also advise the lead off batter when there is one pitch remaining and usually they do this from the offense side. I use the same procedure in my college games. time It does help keep the flow of the game moving.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you think he won't know that it's his time to bat when the catcher throws the ball down to second base?
No, I don't.

Advice. Get the batters in the box and keep them in the box until their at-bat is complete. It will help shorten your games.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

"summon" and "alert". Got it, fellas.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Has anyone read an umpire manual?
There is no such manual at High School where I am. At the college level I do not see anywhere where it says specifically. And honestly these are guides anyway as many things like these people have opinions about and people do what they believe is best.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I sincerely hope that which side to stand on is the most significant issue that anyone on the forum confronts all season long.