The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Between Innings

Working with Fed, 2-man mechanics, as the BU, do you walk down to the plate between innings to converse with the PU, unless it was about a situation in a previous inning?

When I first started this spring, not knowing any better I'd just walk down the line between innings to chat with the PU, but was then told by our association president it doesn't look good, and I haven't since. And I don't really mind just waiting out in short right field for the next half-inning, but was just wondering what others do, and what their reason is.

I briefly looked through the umpires manual tonight, but couldn't find anything.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Your association is correct. Stay in short right-field between innings. Does not look professional if you are chatting between innings.

Also, do not talk with your partner the half inning following a controversial call. Wait a few, then talk about it if you need to.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Working with Fed, 2-man mechanics, as the BU, do you walk down to the plate between innings to converse with the PU, unless it was about a situation in a previous inning?

When I first started this spring, not knowing any better I'd just walk down the line between innings to chat with the PU, but was then told by our association president it doesn't look good, and I haven't since. And I don't really mind just waiting out in short right field for the next half-inning, but was just wondering what others do, and what their reason is.

I briefly looked through the umpires manual tonight, but couldn't find anything.
You have to listen to every bit of advice you get as you umpire...rookie or solid veteran..digest and decide what to do from there..

This is a case where it is a good idea to never, I repeat, never go have a talk with your PU unless you are not communicating well, and you are called in by the PU to discuss mechanics (possibly not covered in a pregame, or a fluke play that you need to get on the same page)

Stay out in short right field...hands on hips, behind the back..whatever...just have an aura of confidence without being cocky..

It gives the impression that both of you know your shinola and are in total control of the game...
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Just as an aside, you would be surprised at how much time you can shave off a game if you continue to manage the game between innings.

Refrain from idle chatter with your partner or game participants, monitor the number of warm-up pitches, and encourage the teams to hustle in and out.

3 hour games suck for everyone involved.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

I talk with my partner before the game, and after the game, and during an innning if we need to get together on something and he calls me to discuss something, a rules interp perhaps.

Never between innings. I have been called to discussions between innings but I would rather not have them. If I am working the plate I will not call my partner to a between inning discussion.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Just as an aside, you would be surprised at how much time you can shave off a game if you continue to manage the game between innings.

Refrain from idle chatter with your partner or game participants, monitor the number of warm-up pitches, and encourage the teams to hustle in and out.

3 hour games suck for everyone involved.
And I've noticed that alot of time gets wasted when this happens. The plate umpire usually will lose count of the warm up pitches being thrown, and just give a count of how many the pitcher has left.

Also, after I've started just waiting in right field, I notice how irritating it is when the BU comes by me between innings. I'm like everyone else, I love fast baseball games, as an ump and as a spectator.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
It gives off an impression that you are bored and need some in between inning entertainment. Like you want a 2 minute break every 10 minutes because you don't enjoy what you are doing or don't care about the quality of your work.

Don't do it, unless absolutely neccessary, and never after a controversial call, as somebody else mentioned.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Your best bet as the BU is to head for right field between innings. When I am a BU, I might come in once or twice a game if at all. It may be to go over a mechanics issue, it may be to settle my partner down a little if he is too quick or I am working with a young guy in a training mode, or if something is up between the two teams and I want my partner to know about it. Again, these are rarely used but I won't say never.

I was working with a very respected umpire in our association for the first time in 2007 during an American Legion game. I was the BU. I didn't come in until the 6th or 7th and it was because the legionaires that operate the concession stand at that field always bring 2 bottles of water over to the BU and he takes 1 down to the plate guy between innings. My partner, who I assumed wanted me to keep my rear end in short RF as much as possible, said "I was beginning to think you didn't like me or had an issue with me because you hadn't come in yet". I was a little befuddled but the point is you never know what some guys are thinking. Still, it's best to limit the between innings visits among umpires.

Lawrence
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Many umpires in my association want to chat between innings. This has a couple of consequences: by "doing it right," I sometimes seem stand-offish by comparison. Also, coaches expect the umpires to be accessible.

More than once an inning has ended with a banger, and I've had a base coach say, "yeah, you'd better run away" as I headed out to right field. His status for the remainder of the game depended on whether anyone but me could hear him.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I talk with my partner before the game, and after the game, and during an innning if we need to get together on something and he calls me to discuss something, a rules interp perhaps.

Never between innings. I have been called to discussions between innings but I would rather not have them. If I am working the plate I will not call my partner to a between inning discussion.
I agree, though I personally see no difference between " during an inning", and "between innings" when determining if I need to converse with a pard or not.....
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I'm with the consensus. Lawrence nailed it pretty well: zero to once per game and never after a questionable call or incident. Trot out to short right and enjoy the breeze.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

In the Fall we are more likely to chat, in the spring it's a no-no.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
I agree, though I personally see no difference between " during an inning", and "between innings" when determining if I need to converse with a pard or not.....
During an inning means there is a decision to be made and a discussion will help with making the right call. Between innings is just chit-chat.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Many umpires in my association want to chat between innings.

More than once an inning has ended with a banger, and I've had a base coach say, "yeah, you'd better run away" as I headed out to right field. His status for the remainder of the game depended on whether anyone but me could hear him.
I cover after completion of the pre-game conference; if I am working bases I typically say "I will see you after the game".

I never run after an inning ending banger. I do turn and walk briskly away.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 09:01pm
Veteran College Umpire

Here's another reason to stay in the outfield between innings. If the inning ends on a whacker at first and you head IN to talk to your partner, you're a much easier target for that irate coach AND everyone on his side of the field. If you stay in the outfield and that coach comes out to you, HE looks like an aggressor and it's much easier to deal with him.

JJ