The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

betweeb innings

I work with this guy (rookie) now & then who insists on talking between innings. i normally don't do this because i think i gives the look of rookies questioning what just happened in the previous 1/2 inning. Should i just ignore him and walk back to my usual postion in rt field and wait or tell this guy we shouldn't talk every 1/2 inning. i might hurt his feelings.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Take the opportunity to educate him. You shouldn't make a habit of talking between innings - it slows down the game.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

if that is happening I will move my waterbottle to the 3B side of the fence and then go over to it at the end of the 1/2, kind of sends a message without me saying anything.. usually they will be coming from 1B side and are less inclined to walk all the way over to 3B side fence.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

TELL him .............
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastump
I work with this guy (rookie) now & then who insists on talking between innings.
I don't care for the present mechanics and have never hidden my feelings. I have never had, nor witnessed any other umpire, experience a problem which was brought on by standing on the foul line between innings.

Quote:
i normally don't do this because i think i gives the look of rookies questioning what just happened in the previous 1/2 inning.
If there is ANYONE a partner should be counselling, should it not be a rookie? Remember, rookie or 20 year veteran, s/he is still your ONLY teammate on the field. BTW, there are plenty of 20 year veterans that I wouldn't mind knowing what they saw on the last play . I have yet to hear a valid reason why teammates should not communicate between innings. If you are so worried about appearances, when you have a serious issue that could cause a problem, what is going to draw more attention? Would it be a routine meeting between innings for a short chat, ignoring the issue and hope it will not affect the game or one of your calls, or have a rare meeting of partners that is going to stand out in everyone's mind?

Quote:
Should i just ignore him and walk back to my usual postion in rt field and wait or tell this guy we shouldn't talk every 1/2 inning. i might hurt his feelings.
In the case of a rookie, I'm going to give him his time. After the game, tell him you made an exception to the standing mechanics to help him/her. Inform the rookie of the between inning mechanics and explain that is what you will expect in the future.

Of course, this is JMHO
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I have yet to hear a valid reason why teammates should not communicate between innings. If you are so worried about appearances, when you have a serious issue that could cause a problem, what is going to draw more attention? Would it be a routine meeting between innings for a short chat, ignoring the issue and hope it will not affect the game or one of your calls, or have a rare meeting of partners that is going to stand out in everyone's mind?
This is a very good point... because some times I do like to talk between innings about an issue that occurred. Mostly I dont because I dont feel like talking between every inning and usually its nonsense and a waste of my "zen" ... but a few times a game I do like to know whats up on something.

You made good points there mike! Especially with a rookie (a point of the OP I didnt catch) who is open to learning.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
This is a very good point... because some times I do like to talk between innings about an issue that occurred. Mostly I dont because I dont feel like talking between every inning and usually its nonsense and a waste of my "zen" ... but a few times a game I do like to know whats up on something.

You made good points there mike! Especially with a rookie (a point of the OP I didnt catch) who is open to learning.
And remember, it is every inning, not every three outs. IOW, 6-7 times, less than 10 minutes a game.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I don't care for the present mechanics and have never hidden my feelings. I have never had, nor witnessed any other umpire, experience a problem which was brought on by standing on the foul line between innings.

If there is ANYONE a partner should be counselling, should it not be a rookie? Remember, rookie or 20 year veteran, s/he is still your ONLY teammate on the field. BTW, there are plenty of 20 year veterans that I wouldn't mind knowing what they saw on the last play . I have yet to hear a valid reason why teammates should not communicate between innings. If you are so worried about appearances, when you have a serious issue that could cause a problem, what is going to draw more attention? Would it be a routine meeting between innings for a short chat, ignoring the issue and hope it will not affect the game or one of your calls, or have a rare meeting of partners that is going to stand out in everyone's mind?

In the case of a rookie, I'm going to give him his time. After the game, tell him you made an exception to the standing mechanics to help him/her. Inform the rookie of the between inning mechanics and explain that is what you will expect in the future.

Of course, this is JMHO
I've had partners wanting to converse between innings about women they've seen in the stands or about something else unrelated to the game. I feel this is unprofessional.

When I'm paired with a rookie my pre-game becomes more extensive and during the game I will tolerate game or rule related questions from my partner. As Irish mentioned earlier there have been times when I've wondered what the thought process was behind a partner's call that a quick between innings chat would clear up.

Just be cognizant of not pointing or making gestures and don't delay the game.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
If you are discrete, I don't think it matters what you talk about. But usually it's about the game, or getting to know each other (where we are from, the ball we do, etc.).
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I've had partners wanting to converse between innings about women they've seen in the stands or about something else unrelated to the game. I feel this is unprofessional.
Well this is the only reason that I will accept a meeting inbetween innings. Like Mike already said your partner is the only one there on your team, if he doesn't point out the scenery then what good is he?

Ok, ok I am just kidding, kinda....I prefer my partner uses the other unapproved mechanic, finger points to eye (look) hand up then down (over) hand scratching left or right shoulder(your right or left shoulder). Now there is communication!!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

A good umpire that I occasionally work with will offer a handshake after the pre-game conference breaks up and say, "See ya after the game, partner." Then he heads for RF and we meet again going off the field to the parking lot.

I've had some that I have worked with in summer tournaments that always camp on the 1B line, wanting to talk. For them, it is mostly social.

My regular partner and I generally stay separated, though we will make eye contact and meet on the 1B line when we have something to say. (And that, sometimes, is just social.) One thing we never do is meet after a half inning in which we had a tough or controversial call. Never want to give the impression to coaches or fans that we are still discussing the call. But we will get together an inning later to do just that - discuss that previous call.

WMB
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I understand the argument that having the umpires get together between innings delays the game... I've had partners where you had to absolutely be rude to cut off the conversation when the teams were ready.

However, as a recommended mechanic, if that is the reasoning behind it, it is somewhat insulting. (Only "somewhat" since, as I said, it does apply sometimes.)

There are definite advantages to meeting between every inning, including the ability to discuss things without making it appear to be anything unusual or out of the ordinary.

I agree with WMB - if you are NOT meeting regularly between innings, then for sure do NOT get together right after anything controversial.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I agree with WMB - if you are NOT meeting regularly between innings, then for sure do NOT get together right after anything controversial.
That's the most important point.