The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball question from a football/basketball ref.

Hello, my baseball brethren!!!

Was at the ballpark last night watching my local minor league baseball team. Here's the scenario- Home up 4-0, 7th inning, very smooth game. Home team starting pitcher was pitching a masterful game, one hitter at that point. Anyway, one of his pitches got away from him, and went a few inches behind the batter. Clearly did not hit the batter- nothing untoward had happened in the game. The homeplate ump awarded the batter first base. The batter actually argued just a bit, saying the pitch didn't hit him, and he want to stay in the box. The ump insisted he take first base. My question is, is first base awarded automatically for pitches that go behind the batter, regardless of the scenario?

Thanks!!!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Hello, my baseball brethren!!!

Was at the ballpark last night watching my local minor league baseball team. Here's the scenario- Home up 4-0, 7th inning, very smooth game. Home team starting pitcher was pitching a masterful game, one hitter at that point. Anyway, one of his pitches got away from him, and went a few inches behind the batter. Clearly did not hit the batter- nothing untoward had happened in the game. The homeplate ump awarded the batter first base. The batter actually argued just a bit, saying the pitch didn't hit him, and he want to stay in the box. The ump insisted he take first base. My question is, is first base awarded automatically for pitches that go behind the batter, regardless of the scenario?

Thanks!!!
No.

The umpire must have judged it hit him (or it was ball 4).
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No.

The umpire must have judged it hit him (or it was ball 4).
Many thanks!!!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

It is not uncommon for a pitch to barely touch the uniform and the batter not feel it or wishes to get a chance to swing the bat. Any touch of the person or uniform is a HBP.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

I was doing some college wood bat this summer and the the count was 3 and 0. The batter stepped out of the box and asked me to open up the zone. I said OK. Next pitch was high and I called it a strike. The 3 and 1 pitch was higher and I call ball 4. He looks at me and I tell him sorry no way that I can call that a strike. A first for me a batter complaining about balls.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Gordon, don't tell his coach.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my question for a basketball ref:

Why do you let coaches yell at you from point blank range? On a baseball field, I'd eject those same coaches within the first few minutes of most basketball games. The first "you" that came flying out of their mouths would get them a trip to the showers, yet BB guys take it all game long.

Why?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post

Why do you let coaches yell at you from point blank range?
It's different in HS and NCAA. For HS, we don't take it: it's a technical foul for the first offense, and ejection for the second.

I don't work NCAA, but I gather that the powers that be want head coaches, especially in televised D1 games, to remain on the floor. So officials have to listen to them. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Why do you let coaches yell at you from point blank range? On a baseball field, I'd eject those same coaches within the first few minutes of most basketball games. The first "you" that came flying out of their mouths would get them a trip to the showers, yet BB guys take it all game long.

Why?
Basketball is a much more confined area so the conversations are going to be much closer. Also we can say things to them that we would have to yell at a coach on a baseball field. And if you think basketball officials are just taking crap from coaches, you have not heard enough basketball officials’ stories about coaches. I can tell you these are sometimes much more colorful than I ever hear from baseball umpires. Bottom line this is a different sport with different standards. If you are throwing guys out of every basketball game you will not be around very long. It is really that simple.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why?
Most of the time, coaches aren't yelling at you point blank. If a coach is truly yelling at you point blank, you're going to be T'd up quick (save for maybe NCAA D-I...HS/Pro allow a lot less crap from their coaches IMO)...which is a tool we have unlike baseball which is all or nothing. And most of the time, coach's aren't getting personal...there are just a lot more plays in a basketball game meaning a lot more plays that are close meaning more questions.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just the local HS guys. Honestly, nobody, NOBODY would yell at me like these guys get away with. If you wouldn't take in line at the Costco, why would allow it when you're supposed be in charge?

I'd be a lousey BB ref becuase there wouldn't be local coach after 10 minutes on most games.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe it's just the local HS guys. Honestly, nobody, NOBODY would yell at me like these guys get away with. If you wouldn't take in line at the Costco, why would allow it when you're supposed be in charge?

I'd be a lousey BB ref becuase there wouldn't be local coach after 10 minutes on most games.
Not many here can speak for your local guys and what they tolerate or should tolerate. I will just say that guys that take the baseball mentality to other sports often end up not doing very well in basketball or football for that matter in my experience. And you said something interesting. You said we are supposed to be in charge. That is true, but that cannot be what you reflect on the basketball court. Your presence and your behavior are supposed to show you are in charge, not you dumping someone. I will put it this way, as a basketball official you have to learn how to tell someone to STFU rather than actually using those words. No big deal, but it is just a different reality than baseball that is really all.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't take a sport official, of any sport, mentality with me. If you have something to say, say it in a reasonable fashion. I'm just a guy, doin' a job. Don't do anything to me that you wouldn't expect in return. And don't talk to me on a baseball diamond in a way that you wouldn't in a grocery store.

And I'm not the ejecting sort in baseball. Once every three or four years. I just don't let it get to that point. Which is why it mystifies me that other officials allow themselves to be hollered at for the duration of a game.

Actually, I enjoy watching basketball with my baseball pals. They always look to me when some loudmouth coach starts at it. I'll make an ejection motion from the bleachers, just for a laugh. And usually within the first two minutes of a game.

Honestly zebras, it's time to man up.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 07:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What level of basketball are you used to watching and where? Definitely not anywhere near where I watch.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't take a sport official, of any sport, mentality with me. If you have something to say, say it in a reasonable fashion. I'm just a guy, doin' a job. Don't do anything to me that you wouldn't expect in return. And don't talk to me on a baseball diamond in a way that you wouldn't in a grocery store.

And I'm not the ejecting sort in baseball. Once every three or four years. I just don't let it get to that point. Which is why it mystifies me that other officials allow themselves to be hollered at for the duration of a game.

Actually, I enjoy watching basketball with my baseball pals. They always look to me when some loudmouth coach starts at it. I'll make an ejection motion from the bleachers, just for a laugh. And usually within the first two minutes of a game.

Must be some poor coaching that you are used to watching. In our area, coaches most of the time don't yell at officials, they are simply "begging" for a call to go their way.

If a coach does start "yelling", then we have several options on how to deal with them, whereas in baseball, your hands are tied, you only have one option.

Many things have helped basketball, mainly the "coaching box" rules which require the coach to stay confined etc.,

Thanks
David