The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question Another Basketball Question from a Baseball Guy

I have seen this more than once now, so it's clear that I probably don't understand the rule. Player A fakes a shot so Player B jumps up to block the shot and lands on Player A. Player A then immediately takes a shot and it goes in. Ref counts the basket. Why? The foul occurred before the shot; I don't understand why the shot would count. I'm not arguing the foul, it is obvious, but if the foul occurs before the shot, no basket, or so I think....

Please help me better understand this situation.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker991
I have seen this more than once now, so it's clear that I probably don't understand the rule. Player A fakes a shot so Player B jumps up to block the shot and lands on Player A. Player A then immediately takes a shot and it goes in. Ref counts the basket. Why? The foul occurred before the shot; I don't understand why the shot would count. I'm not arguing the foul, it is obvious, but if the foul occurs before the shot, no basket, or so I think....

Please help me better understand this situation.
If player A begins his/her "habitual shooting motion" before the foul, then s/he is allowed to finish the motion and the try counts.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, as always

You guys continue to be extremely helpful as my son has moved from baseball (of which I am very familiar) to basketball (which I know nothing about, but I am learning...).
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bob gave the rulebook answer I will give you the real world answer (which come to the same conclusion). If a ball handler has picked up the ball, that is the beginning of their motion to the basket if the official judges they where attempting a shot. So a player does not have to even get off the floor and you still should properly award a shooting foul if contact prevented a complete motion to the basket.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Bob gave the rulebook answer I will give you the real world answer (which come to the same conclusion). If a ball handler has picked up the ball, that is the beginning of their motion to the basket if the official judges they where attempting a shot. So a player does not have to even get off the floor and you still should properly award a shooting foul if contact prevented a complete motion to the basket.

Peace
I concur, Rut. But don't those opposing coaches just HATE that call?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
No question about it.

This weekend's game the Coach was calling for fouls and the offense was smart enough that as soon as the defense closed in and started to swarm (trap) their talented guard would start a shot.

That put an end to the deliberate fouling pretty quick - at least on the Point guard!

No question it was the right call, and no question coach's get real aggrivated about it.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I just worked a game on Saturday morning and my partner made a call and continued to the basket. The comment I heard over and over, "This is not the NBA." While my partner was explaining the rule to the coach before the FT, I was explaining the rule to the kids. Little do most know the rule is basically the same at the NBA level to the HS level.

Peace