The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

As noted earlier: who could possibly care on an umpire board.

I guess any idiot can post. I prove that every time I post.

T
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Out of curiousity: Is it a rule enforced by umpires, or is it an "administrative" rule enforced by others? Are LL umpires really expected to have the knowledge and records to handle this issue?
It's administrative. But it's also a question about the eligibility of the player to participate in a game.

Yes - a good LL umpire should know the all rules.

The umpires won't have the records - but in this case there are no records involved. FYI, in the tournament the team manager carries the records and the TD at the site (no one else) can examine them if there's an issue.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

T
This is an officiating board. Since when are the only officials at a game umpires?

I don't have an answer to this question and I simply don't care what the answer is. But why do I have to tell everyone that? Someone (such as Rich Ives) can answer the question and the thread dies a natural death. Instead, some unnecessary vitriol is thrown towards the OP and the forum proves, once again, that we're not a welcoming place.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Again, thanks.

Again to both Richs, I thank you.

mb- i totally get where you're coming from on some people's memories of LL parents etc., and our league is not perfect by any means, but I ask you: are the leagues above LL immune to the same issues? When my son played Babe Ruth level and tried out for his HS team we found those too to contain politics, bad parent behavior and coaches with pre-conceived ideas of who played when/where and not based on tryouts and practices. I submit to you that until you get to the college level "daddyball" and politics still play an integral part in the those leagues above LL and until you get to college.

Also, just as a note; I would stack up our LL's umpires with the Legion and HS umpires in our area any day of the week.

(Sorry if this post to "mb's" comment doesn't meet some purist's standards.)
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It's administrative. But it's also a question about the eligibility of the player to participate in a game.

Yes - a good LL umpire should know the all rules.
About whether a team can play travel ball and all stars? There's no way I'd possibly have to deal with this situation, so what's the point in an umpire knowing this?

After doing the coaches meetings for our district tournaments last night, I wish the coaches knew some basic playing rules. Doesn't a good coach know these?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

T
In a good many LL organizations, the UIC is a board member also.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In a good many LL organizations, the UIC is a board member also.
Then he knows the eligibility rules in his role as the board member, not in his role as an umpire. Your statement that "a good umpire knows all the rules" is, in the context of eligibility rules, absurd. You've categorically implied that any umpire who does not know the eligibility rules for any game he works is simply not "a good umpire."
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMike1973 View Post
This is a question asked & answered on active.com's forum but I'd like to thrwo this out here too.

Can a LL All Star participate in a travel team at the same time as being on the LL All Star team?

The answer on active.com was before 2008- no, but now (2009 forward)- yes.

Agreed?
This is an umpires site however, I did fine a rule that pertains to this.

LL Rule 13.21 Specifically states that travel players are only allowed to participate on their affiliated local LL All Star team if the cost of Nachos and a soda are the same at both fields where they participate. Equitable monetary reimbursement is not an acceptable bartering method for price differentials, and is also not an acceptable method to obtain favorable slection to become a All Star participant. However, should the parents of the interested participant or the participant theirself have the ability to produce mass amounts of currency to the umpires that officiate their games, then by all means possible the participant should be allowed to play on any or all the teams they feel like. Also broadcasting of any of these games without the consent of the NFL, NBA, NHL and T-Ball should only be allowed if the umpires are very, very, very well compensated. This compensation, is above and beyond the initiation fee specifically mentioned above.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again to both Richs, I thank you.
Also, just as a note; I would stack up our LL's umpires with the Legion and HS umpires in our area any day of the week.
Yea, and the rule I quoted above is real too.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I am often amazed that people will pose a question on a non relevant web site rather than go straight to the source. In this case contact Little League directly:
Travel Teams
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

As noted before...

This site is about officiating, not just on-the-field umpiring, as several posters have pointed out to you purists. Officiating includes rule admin questions whether you like it or not. I repeat, look at several threads on today's list and you will see several that do NOT pertain to strictly on-the-field issues.

If you do not have anything on topic to add to this thread, then DO NOT COMMENT-just ignore it. There are people on this site that can answer admin questions, so that's why I asked originally.

Don't like it- don't read it, or add snide/insulting comments. This is not an umpiring sandbox.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrope22 View Post
I am often amazed that people will pose a question on a non relevant web site rather than go straight to the source. In this case contact Little League directly:
Travel Teams
Thanks for the link "frozenrope22". Since I can rarely find anything on the LL website w/o spending hours looking, I appreciate the link.

And, this is a relevant site to ask RULE questions. Sorry.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is a rules question.
And when is the last time you saw an umpire rule on this problem?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This site is about officiating, not just on-the-field umpiring, as several posters have pointed out to you purists. Officiating includes rule admin questions whether you like it or not. I repeat, look at several threads on today's list and you will see several that do NOT pertain to strictly on-the-field issues.

If you do not have anything on topic to add to this thread, then DO NOT COMMENT-just ignore it. There are people on this site that can answer admin questions, so that's why I asked originally.

Don't like it- don't read it, or add snide/insulting comments. This is not an umpiring sandbox.
Dear Parent,
It's pretty, um, difficult, to use one breath to suggest no one can tell you what not to post and follow it up by telling people how not to respond to your post.

Sincerely,
A concerned parent
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
And when is the last time you saw an umpire rule on this problem?
Well - if you followed any of the LL boards or participated in LL instead of bashing it you'd see a LOT of LL umpires who are also LL officials and who rule on such issues.