The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   LL All Stars & Travel Team Question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/74428-ll-all-stars-travel-team-question.html)

PirateMike1973 Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16pm

LL All Stars & Travel Team Question

This is a question asked & answered on active.com's forum but I'd like to thrwo this out here too.

Can a LL All Star participate in a travel team at the same time as being on the LL All Star team?

The answer on active.com was before 2008- no, but now (2009 forward)- yes.

Agreed?

Tim C Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18pm

ô!

Who the phock cares? You really don't get this site.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:35pm

Yeah, not so much an umpire question.

PirateMike1973 Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:36pm

What?

Tim C - if that's the most appropriate comment you can add, please be advised that it wasn't constructive and insulting.

PirateMike1973 Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38pm

And

Not everything is an "umpire" question on this forum (in case you haven't noticed).

There are rule interpretation questions asked/answered all the time here.

UmpJM Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:48pm

Aaaarrrgghhhh!

JM

Larry1953 Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:07pm

MrUmpire, paging MrUmpire :-)

Rich Ives Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateMike1973 (Post 771891)
This is a question asked & answered on active.com's forum but I'd like to thrwo this out here too.

Can a LL All Star participate in a travel team at the same time as being on the LL All Star team?

The answer on active.com was before 2008- no, but now (2009 forward)- yes.

Agreed?

Correct.

And don't go looking for a specific rule. It's legal because it isn't banned.

BTW, it was only banned for 2-3 years. It wasn't "always" before 2008.

Rich Ives Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 771892)
Who the phock cares? You really don't get this site.

The poster cares. If you don't just don't participate in the thread.

Rich Ives Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 771895)
Yeah, not so much an umpire question.

It is a rules question.

Rich Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 771905)
The poster cares. If you don't just don't participate in the thread.

I'm guessing that this vitriol was because it is a LL question. If it was a similar question about NFHS baseball, the response wouldn't have been as strong.

Ump153 Tue Jul 12, 2011 01:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 771906)
It is a rules question.

Out of curiousity: Is it a rule enforced by umpires, or is it an "administrative" rule enforced by others? Are LL umpires really expected to have the knowledge and records to handle this issue?

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 12, 2011 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 771917)
Out of curiousity: Is it a rule enforced by umpires, or is it an "administrative" rule enforced by others? Are LL umpires really expected to have the knowledge and records to handle this issue?

It is a rules question, only in the sense that it isn't in the playing rules, and has everything to do with a league president or tournament director's job, and nothing at all to do with an umpire's job. I believe that is the reason for the so-called "vitriol."

Let me ask this then (to all): Is this the proper forum in which to table and discuss subjects that are completely unrelated to umpiring?

PirateMike1973 Tue Jul 12, 2011 08:39am

Thanks Rich..

First, thank you Rich for "coming to my defense", so to speak.
Second, you only need to look at today's thread list to see that that are several posts NOT related to just umpiring (in the purest sense).
Third, I'm not sure why some people felt the need to respond in the manner that they did, simply because I was asking for the community's opinion/consensus/knowledge on what is a RULES question, maybe an admin one, but a rules question, none the less. (Again, thank you Rich for your input)
And lastly, if this forum is a "just for umpires" exclusive club, than I will only ask this type of question other places & limit questions here to "on the field" questions.

I have volunteered in our LL for over 15 years as a coach and now, as an official game scorekeeper and announcer. I not sure why someone would think a question related to LL is an area for "derision".

mbyron Tue Jul 12, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateMike1973 (Post 771968)
I have volunteered in our LL for over 15 years as a coach and now, as an official game scorekeeper and announcer. I not sure why someone would think a question related to LL is an area for "derision".

I can answer that. The collective memory here is of LL parents/fans/scorekeepers coming to the forum to ask questions that have nothing to do with umpiring or officiating a game. Over the years, that breeds frustration and impatience. The new guy who shows up with what he thinks is a great question for umpires gets dumped on and can't understand why.

Not many folks here work LL or indeed much baseball at all with players who don't shave. The few who do are quite knowledgeable and can provide answers to most questions, as you've seen.