The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

2 little league rule questions

Using little league rules for 9-10 year old baseball all star tourney play:

1. Can a fielder use a first baseman's glove in the field (excluding pitcher/catcher) provided it meets the measurments given in rule 1.13? They use the word "mitt" and "glove" in rule 1.12-1.15.

2. Is it legal for a batter to show bunt then pull back and hit the ball? Rule book, at least what I can find, does not specify if this is allowed or not, at any age level.

thanks!
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

A glove and a mitt are the same thing - interchangeable terms depending on where you live. The size must meet the specs, that's all.

2 - sure. I've worked local leagues that outlaw this for very little players (7 or 7-8), but I don't believe this one's in the LL book itself.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

1. Mitts and gloves are differnet. So no, you can't use a first basemans mitt at any other position (other than in softball, then you can catch with it).

2. Yes, it's legel. Some locals ban it, though.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
1. Mitts and gloves are differnet. So no, you can't use a first basemans mitt at any other position (other than in softball, then you can catch with it).

Please give rule/insite on this please.

Rule 1.13 says the first baseman must wear a glove or mitt of any weight .........{it givs the specifications}

Rule 1.14 says, each defensive player (other than first baseman and catcher) must wear a glove of any weight with the same maximum specifications as stated in rule 1.13.

SO, if a first baseman's glove is with in the specification given, and he is moved to an outfield position, why can't he use that same glove?????

Thanks
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Got a rule citation for that? (PS - generalizing that you can do ANYthing in softball is problematical, given at least 5 different very prominent rulesets which vary greatly in some areas).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

In HS a glove and a mitt for the field are the same. OBR, its different. Don't remember NCAA and guessing that LL is based upon OBR with twists. Glove and mitt are probably different. No books with me.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
In HS a glove and a mitt for the field are the same. OBR, its different. Don't remember NCAA and guessing that LL is based upon OBR with twists. Glove and mitt are probably different. No books with me.
Book sitting in front of me. No definition other than the specs mentioned above. No "official" difference that I can find other than both words are used in 1 rule, and just 1 word in the other... but no verbiage defining what makes one thing a glove and another a mitt.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

OBR has always been understood that there is a difference between a mitt and a glove. The main difference between gloves and mitts is that gloves have fingers and mitts don't. Mitts tend to do a better job of controlling balls that don't hit in the pocket and can aid scooping ground balls and short hops. 1st base and catcher are the only positions which use mitts.

OBR does not allow mitts at any positions other than F2 & F3 - FED allows players to pretty much wear what they want (F6 with a catcher's mitt?).
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Book sitting in front of me. No definition other than the specs mentioned above. No "official" difference that I can find other than both words are used in 1 rule, and just 1 word in the other... but no verbiage defining what makes one thing a glove and another a mitt.
So, Then do I take this to LL or umpire in chief of the tourney? I could not find anything either.

Thanks
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 11:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
OBR has always been understood that there is a difference between a mitt and a glove. The main difference between gloves and mitts is that gloves have fingers and mitts don't. Mitts tend to do a better job of controlling balls that don't hit in the pocket and can aid scooping ground balls and short hops. 1st base and catcher are the only positions which use mitts.

OBR does not allow mitts at any positions other than F2 & F3 - FED allows players to pretty much wear what they want (F6 with a catcher's mitt?).
Winner, winner, etc.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbbcoach99 View Post
So, Then do I take this to LL or umpire in chief of the tourney? I could not find anything either.

Thanks
You might try posting this on eteamz -- if it still exists. Lots of umpires well versed in LL rules there.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Straight from the LL UIM

This is what the Little League Umpires Manual says. Hope that it helps.

1.13 -- The first baseman may wear a glove or mitt not more than 12 inches long from top to bottom and
not more than eight inches wide across the palm, measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the outer edge
of the mitt. The glove may be of any weight.

1.14 -- Each fielder, other than the first baseman and the catcher, may wear a glove not more than 12 inches
long nor more than 7-3/4 inches wide , measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the
outer edge of the glove. The glove may be of any weight.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
⇒ In Baseball, only the first baseman may wear a first baseman’s mitt.
⇒ In Softball, the first baseman and the catcher may wear a first baseman’s mitt.

Last edited by ToolinFool; Fri Jul 01, 2011 at 07:53am.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolinFool View Post
This is what the Little League Umpires Manual says. Hope that it helps.

1.13 -- The first baseman may wear a glove or mitt not more than 12 inches long from top to bottom and
not more than eight inches wide across the palm, measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the outer edge
of the mitt. The glove may be of any weight.

1.14 -- Each fielder, other than the first baseman and the catcher, may wear a glove not more than 12 inches
long nor more than 7-3/4 inches wide , measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the
outer edge of the glove. The glove may be of any weight.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
⇒ In Baseball, only the first baseman may wear a first baseman’s mitt.
⇒ In Softball, the first baseman and the catcher may wear a first baseman’s mitt.
Been awhile since I did LL but, this is what I remember about it also. Of course trying to find LL rules online is next to impossible because of LL Inc.'s sacred cash cow mentality. That for sure, has never changed
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You might try posting this on eteamz -- if it still exists. Lots of umpires well versed in LL rules there.
Or the Little League Facebook page. Apparently, you can get answers straight from the sources there.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
A glove and a mitt are the same thing - interchangeable terms depending on where you live. The size must meet the specs, that's all.

2 - sure. I've worked local leagues that outlaw this for very little players (7 or 7-8), but I don't believe this one's in the LL book itself.

Mittt and glove are not the same thing.

Think mitten and glove and the light bulb should light.