The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Little League Questions?

1. Is there courtesy runners in little league?

2. If so how many times can the same person run for the pitcher or catcher and can they still come into the game as a batter or fielder after being a courtesy runner?

3. Let's say you are pinch runner. You come into the game for the batter that just got on base. The batter re-enters the game. What are pinch runners options now? How many times can you pinch run before you are not aloud to re-enter the game as a fulltime player?

4. Do you have to slide at Home Plate in Little League?

5. What is the correct call when a pitch lodges into a fence after a pass ball from the catcher with a runner on first base? Count is 1-0.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

*chuckles*

www.eteamz.com
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthyref
No, in regular season league play courtesy runners are not permitted in Little League.

Rule 3.04 – Courtesy Runners
A player whose name is on the team’s batting order may not become a substitute runner for another member of the team. “Courtesy runner” not permitted.

COMMENTS

This rule is intended to eliminate the practice of using so called courtesy runners. No player in the game shall be permitted to act as a courtesy runner for a teammate. No player who has been in the game and has been taken out for a substitute shall return as a courtesy runner. Any player not in the lineup, if used as a runner, shall be considered as a special pinch runner. (See Rule 7.14) Otherwise, treat it as a substitution and the previous batter must stay on the bench until the sub play six (6) defensive outs and bats once.

Quote:
2. If so how many times can the same person run for the pitcher or catcher and can they still come into the game as a batter or fielder after being a courtesy runner?
See above.

Quote:
3. Let's say you are pinch runner. You come into the game for the batter that just got on base. The batter re-enters the game. What are pinch runners options now? How many times can you pinch run before you are not aloud to re-enter the game as a fulltime player?
This can get confusing. If the pinch runner was a substitute then the starter he entered for cannot re-enter until the substitute has met MPR. However, if the pinch runner was a starter who had been previously removed he can re-enter once for another starter, or a sub who has met MPR. If he enters for another starter he then must fullfill the MPR of a sub.

Rule 3.03 – Substitutions

A player in the starting line-up who has been removed for a substitute may re-enter the game once, in any position in the batting order, provided:

1. His substitute has completed one time at bat and;
2. Has played defensively for a minimum of six (6) consecutive outs.
3. Pitchers once removed from the mound may not return as pitchers.

JR/SR/BL: A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher any time in the remainder of the game, but only once in the same inning as he was removed.

4. Only a player in the starting line-up may re-enter the game.
5. A starter, (Sl) re-entering the game as a substitute for another starter (S2) must then fulfill all conditions of a substitute (one at-bat and six defensive outs) before starter (S2) can re-enter the game.

Quote:
No, a runner is never required to slide. There is no such thing as a "must slide rule" in Little League baseball. They have the option of either sliding or attempting to go around the fielder. Notice that I said attempt to go around. One of the common myths is that they have to avoid contact with the fielder if they choose not to slide. That's another myth. All they have to do is make an attempt to go around the fielder to be removed from a possible interference call.

7.08 A runner is out when

(a)(3)The runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag;

COMMENTS

This rule is easily the most misunderstood rule in the book. It is easily broken down as follows:

1. The fielder must have the ball in his possession; AND
2. The fielder must be WAITING to make the tag;

If BOTH of those criteria are satisfied, then the runner must EITHER
1. Slide; OR
2. ATTEMPT to get around the fielder.

Notice that the rule says, “attempt to get around,” not “avoid.” Contact may occur with no penalty assessed.

Hurdling or going over the defensive player that has the ball and is waiting to make a tag is a legal maneuver. Rule 7.08(a)(3) does not prevent hurdling nor makes it illegal.

There is no “Must Slide” rule and no league may create one. No league may modify Rule 7.08(a)(3).

Quote:
5. What is the correct call when a pitch lodges into a fence after a pass ball from the catcher with a runner on first base? Count is 1-0.
Dead ball, one base award for all runners, pitch is called on it's own merits.

(h) One base, if a ball, pitched to the batter, or thrown by the pitcher from the position on the pitcher’s plate to a base to catch a runner goes into a stand or a bench, or over or through a field fence or backstop. The ball is dead.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
*chuckles*

www.eteamz.com
That's right. Laugh at the guy and try to send him elsewhere. I didn't realize Brad had set this forum up for all officiating questions except Little League.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

There is a "Special Pinch Runner" rule.

7.14 Once each inning a team may utilize a player who is not in the batting order as a special pinch-runner for any offensive player. A player may only be removed for a special pinch runner one time during a game. The player for whom the pinch-runner runs is not subject to removal from the lineup. If the pinch runner remains in the game as a substitute defensive or offensive player, the player may not be used again as a pinch runner while in the batting order. However, if removed for another substitute that player or any player not in the line up, is again eligible to be used as a pinch runner.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

7.17 Note

Does not apply if the local league adopts the continuous batting order. See rule 4.04.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Good answers, Tim and Rich.

Some of us were lucky enough to start in the LL program, we were well trained, and now have moved on. To disrespect a fellow blue because we perceive the program he works to be "inferior" is not fair.

Welcome to the forum, Jack.

Bob P.
CA D57 Ump
SRUA UIC
D57 Staff

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for answering those questions for me..And screw mr. chuckles there...I'm a umpire in a little league that isn't really part of the little league organization but goes by their rules and they make the kids slide no matter what at home. Then when the ball lodges in the fence they call it a dead ball and they make the runner stay at first...They just really screw everything up so I was going to have an umpires meeting and correct them on some things.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Jack, it sounds like you have experienced the dreaded "house rules". This is where well meaning but ignorant coach's and board members attempt to fix rules that they don't agree with. Most organizations frowns upon this, and your league should avoid trying to make the rules better by changing them locally.

What is your league going to do when a player slides at home because he was forced to by the league rules and breaks his leg?

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

You should consider asking them why they feel the need to punish the offense when the defense messes up. After all it's not the offenses fault there was a WP/PB in the first place, so why should their runners be returned. On a small diamond the runner will almost always get at least one advance base on a passed ball that doesn't become lodged anyway. It's extremely rare to see a catcher throw out a runner on a WP/PB in Little League. The basepath's are too short.

Bob's comment on the "must slide rule" is right on the money. Such a rule is not only stupid, it can be dangerous.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tim and Rich have given you good responses and I will ad this.

I too started in LL but the one thing that drove me crazy and I still do not like is that in LL there is one set of rules for the regular season and then another set come Tournament time.

Depending upon your league, if you umpire many games, the LL rules during the regular season start to become second nature and then the tournament comes and without thinking you might apply a regular season rule to the tournament.

Here's an example of what I am talking about.

Tim quoted you the substitution rule. Notice in the regular season a player can re-enter IN ANY POSITION IN THE BATTING ORDER. Come tournament time, the batting order remains IN TACT meaning you can only re-enter in the same spot in the batting order.

The pitching regs also change come tournament time.

Dave Hensley who I haven't seen post in quite sometime was a major contributor to this as well as other Forums. Every-year around LL tournament time, he posted in a PDF Format a Chart which showed the rules for the Tournament by LL Division. Hopefully Dave will return and you can download that file when All Star Time approaches. In any event, pay close attention to the tournament rule changes because without thinking you might apply a regular season rule which is not applicable come tournament time.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
That's right. Laugh at the guy and try to send him elsewhere. I didn't realize Brad had set this forum up for all officiating questions except Little League.

Tim.
*chuckles again* Wrong, Tim, the level of ball has nothing to do with it. The point was, all these questions can be answered in a few minutes in the rulebook, they are black-and-white. Umpires are supposed to be beyond asking "See Dick run" questions, so I assumed he was a fan/dad/whatever....and eteamz is a useful resource for these questions.

...but, of course, I attempt to send no one anywhere, 'twas but a suggestion for additional information. I was confident you would be following shortly in the thread Thank goodness you are here to cut n' paste the rulebook for such hapless souls.

Last edited by LMan; Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 01:58pm.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I love doing LL, its alot of fun. In general the atmosphere is much more intense than a Freshman HS game, perhaps because of the closeness of the field. Something is lost when you move to the big diamond for sure. The kids that are mediocre players just seem to stop caring from age 13 on, which is very sad.

And don't anybody go ragging on LL umpires who do just LL. Those guys umpire in front of thousands come tournament time. And its just as difficult as doing a state HS playoff game, if not more difficult because everything is so much faster.

Just a pet peeve of mine, I love the big diamond as well because its more real baseball strategy (no more running to 2nd on a walk with a man on 3rd).
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

By the way I just dont have little league expierence. I have done high school and college before but I got out of it because of the politics...I will give you an example of what I was dealing with at the time...I had this big Triple A school rival game my first year umpiring high school...I got to be in that postition so quick because I was good at what I did..But anyways the situation was I had pitcher that was chewing tobacco...I learned that he was chewing tobacco from the other teams coach that came up to me in the middle of the inning..He asked me if I would check the pitcher for tobacco in his mouth..So I told the pitcher to come here and open his mouth and what do you know he was chewing it..So I ended up tossing the pitcher who was of course the star player on the team..He ended up getting suspended for a couple of games and got a huge fine from the board of ed...

Well the moral of the story is that when I got home that night the umpire that was in charge of all the umpires called me and told me I should have handled the situation differently..He said I should of just want up to the pitcher and seen what he was chewing and told him to spit it out and tell the other coach he was just chewing beef jerky...Well I thought about it and I got pissed so I quit umpiring in the higher levels...I beleive if you cant follow the rules then you dont need to be out on that field playing...That is why they hire us to adminstrate the rules and I just thought I was doing my job out there...

The real kicker to this story is that the next summer I was reading the newspaper and I was reading about this same player playing for a summer league team..And his coach was the man in charge of all the umpires..I was furious...

It is also why I kept on umpiring at the Little League level..I like what I do and I have fun doing it...I dont have bosses or anything..I just goto the field and do my job..If they dont like me then they dont call me back...I havent had many problems though..There has been a few problems with those rule questions from last year..But they were house rules that were made up...And I knew what was in the rule book by the way..I was just making sure I was reading it right..Im trying to help fix this little league in the same sense....
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Spit Wad or Swallow

So much for trying to save a kids life. Chewing tobacco rules have been in place for a number of years. Just hope the kid gets help and stops chewing tobacco before its too late.