The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2 little league rule questions (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/73692-2-little-league-rule-questions.html)

smbbcoach99 Thu Jun 30, 2011 02:40pm

2 little league rule questions

Using little league rules for 9-10 year old baseball all star tourney play:

1. Can a fielder use a first baseman's glove in the field (excluding pitcher/catcher) provided it meets the measurments given in rule 1.13? They use the word "mitt" and "glove" in rule 1.12-1.15.

2. Is it legal for a batter to show bunt then pull back and hit the ball? Rule book, at least what I can find, does not specify if this is allowed or not, at any age level.

thanks!

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 30, 2011 02:52pm

A glove and a mitt are the same thing - interchangeable terms depending on where you live. The size must meet the specs, that's all.

2 - sure. I've worked local leagues that outlaw this for very little players (7 or 7-8), but I don't believe this one's in the LL book itself.

kylejt Thu Jun 30, 2011 03:02pm

1. Mitts and gloves are differnet. So no, you can't use a first basemans mitt at any other position (other than in softball, then you can catch with it).

2. Yes, it's legel. Some locals ban it, though.

smbbcoach99 Thu Jun 30, 2011 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 769677)
1. Mitts and gloves are differnet. So no, you can't use a first basemans mitt at any other position (other than in softball, then you can catch with it).

Please give rule/insite on this please.

Rule 1.13 says the first baseman must wear a glove or mitt of any weight .........{it givs the specifications}

Rule 1.14 says, each defensive player (other than first baseman and catcher) must wear a glove of any weight with the same maximum specifications as stated in rule 1.13.

SO, if a first baseman's glove is with in the specification given, and he is moved to an outfield position, why can't he use that same glove?????

Thanks

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 30, 2011 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 769677)

Got a rule citation for that? (PS - generalizing that you can do ANYthing in softball is problematical, given at least 5 different very prominent rulesets which vary greatly in some areas).

jicecone Thu Jun 30, 2011 04:12pm

In HS a glove and a mitt for the field are the same. OBR, its different. Don't remember NCAA and guessing that LL is based upon OBR with twists. Glove and mitt are probably different. No books with me.

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 30, 2011 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 769690)
In HS a glove and a mitt for the field are the same. OBR, its different. Don't remember NCAA and guessing that LL is based upon OBR with twists. Glove and mitt are probably different. No books with me.

Book sitting in front of me. No definition other than the specs mentioned above. No "official" difference that I can find other than both words are used in 1 rule, and just 1 word in the other... but no verbiage defining what makes one thing a glove and another a mitt.

ozzy6900 Thu Jun 30, 2011 07:04pm

OBR has always been understood that there is a difference between a mitt and a glove. The main difference between gloves and mitts is that gloves have fingers and mitts don't. Mitts tend to do a better job of controlling balls that don't hit in the pocket and can aid scooping ground balls and short hops. 1st base and catcher are the only positions which use mitts.

OBR does not allow mitts at any positions other than F2 & F3 - FED allows players to pretty much wear what they want (F6 with a catcher's mitt?).

smbbcoach99 Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 769693)
Book sitting in front of me. No definition other than the specs mentioned above. No "official" difference that I can find other than both words are used in 1 rule, and just 1 word in the other... but no verbiage defining what makes one thing a glove and another a mitt.

So, Then do I take this to LL or umpire in chief of the tourney? I could not find anything either.

Thanks

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 769720)
OBR has always been understood that there is a difference between a mitt and a glove. The main difference between gloves and mitts is that gloves have fingers and mitts don't. Mitts tend to do a better job of controlling balls that don't hit in the pocket and can aid scooping ground balls and short hops. 1st base and catcher are the only positions which use mitts.

OBR does not allow mitts at any positions other than F2 & F3 - FED allows players to pretty much wear what they want (F6 with a catcher's mitt?).

Winner, winner, etc.

bob jenkins Fri Jul 01, 2011 07:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbbcoach99 (Post 769741)
So, Then do I take this to LL or umpire in chief of the tourney? I could not find anything either.

Thanks

You might try posting this on eteamz -- if it still exists. Lots of umpires well versed in LL rules there.

ToolinFool Fri Jul 01, 2011 07:36am

Straight from the LL UIM

This is what the Little League Umpires Manual says. Hope that it helps.

1.13 -- The first baseman may wear a glove or mitt not more than 12 inches long from top to bottom and
not more than eight inches wide across the palm, measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the outer edge
of the mitt. The glove may be of any weight.

1.14 -- Each fielder, other than the first baseman and the catcher, may wear a glove not more than 12 inches
long nor more than 7-3/4 inches wide , measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the
outer edge of the glove. The glove may be of any weight.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
⇒ In Baseball, only the first baseman may wear a first baseman’s mitt.
⇒ In Softball, the first baseman and the catcher may wear a first baseman’s mitt.

jicecone Fri Jul 01, 2011 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolinFool (Post 769805)
This is what the Little League Umpires Manual says. Hope that it helps.

1.13 -- The first baseman may wear a glove or mitt not more than 12 inches long from top to bottom and
not more than eight inches wide across the palm, measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the outer edge
of the mitt. The glove may be of any weight.

1.14 -- Each fielder, other than the first baseman and the catcher, may wear a glove not more than 12 inches
long nor more than 7-3/4 inches wide , measured from the base of the thumb crotch to the
outer edge of the glove. The glove may be of any weight.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
⇒ In Baseball, only the first baseman may wear a first baseman’s mitt.
⇒ In Softball, the first baseman and the catcher may wear a first baseman’s mitt.

Been awhile since I did LL but, this is what I remember about it also. Of course trying to find LL rules online is next to impossible because of LL Inc.'s sacred cash cow mentality. That for sure, has never changed

yawetag Fri Jul 01, 2011 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 769803)
You might try posting this on eteamz -- if it still exists. Lots of umpires well versed in LL rules there.

Or the Little League Facebook page. Apparently, you can get answers straight from the sources there.

Rich Ives Fri Jul 01, 2011 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 769676)
A glove and a mitt are the same thing - interchangeable terms depending on where you live. The size must meet the specs, that's all.

2 - sure. I've worked local leagues that outlaw this for very little players (7 or 7-8), but I don't believe this one's in the LL book itself.

Mittt and glove are not the same thing.

Think mitten and glove and the light bulb should light.