Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
LOL! The few here who think that it is okay to tell a catcher to correct the mistakes his pitcher is doing or you will be forced to umpire are not close to matching his resume.
Um ... WHAT does that have to do with telling the players to take off their jewelry?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really?
Yes, really.

Quote:
Again, this is not what was offered. Everyone I read on this has stated, if the pitcher balks, they'll call it. What was said is, as the pitcher's movements get closer to a balk, but before they cross the line, they've been known to give a quiet warning. Now I'm back to questioning whether you're even reading the posts you're so fired up about.
Either you don't know what a balk is or you are simply looking to quarrel. It is either a balk or it isn't. You DO NOT warn pitchers for almost balking. End of story. Stop the nonsense. Only OOOs behave like you suggest.

Do I need to quote them again? I did it once and you seem to have a problem understanding that Tim and RichMSN both stated that it is acceptable to prevent a pitcher from balking by alerting him to his rule breaking mechanics. Geesh.

Quote:
As for your insistence that other sports aren't relevant; the NFHS doesn't do just baseball. Are you saying that I'm cheating when I remind a player to get out of the lane, or tell a coach that his assistant coach is about to earn a technical foul? Isn't the code of ethics the same for basketball and baseball?
I confine my baseball talk to the baseball forum. If you want to know what those sports tolerate, ask there.

I have never told a HC that his AC is about to be ejected. I also don't warn coaches that if they keep it up they will be tossed. I call what I see or hear. Impartiality begins with the ability to make tough calls.

Watch the CWS and you will see umpires who know how to officiate the game. Go to your local MiLB field and watch crews operate almost roboticly. Watch a MLB contest and see the guys now call games. They no longer engage in what was taught moons and moons ago. Umpiring is evolving and coaching is not part of it.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Um ... WHAT does that have to do with telling the players to take off their jewelry?
I don't know. What?

I already stated that I will enforce the jewelry rules during the game (as the rule book states) but not go picking nits pre-game. If you tell them to take it off prior, good for you. I can't wait for your post about what you do when they ignore you. A pre-game warning for this is useless. But, feel free to issue it.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer View Post
I'll agree that Tim's response may have been ambiguous. But RichMSN pretty clearly is saying (I've put it in italics) that he'll warn a pitcher only when he is pitching legally. Are you going to continue to characterize this as warning pitchers instead of calling balks?
I don't warn a pitcher (directly or through an intermediary) who 'is close to balking'. That is being an OOO. If he balks, call it. If he didn't then it is a legal pitch.

This thread has wandered far from the original post. It seems some of you think it as acceptable to prevent players from breaking rules. This is certainly old school and has been a way of officiating for a long time. Contemporary umpiring at the highest levels is predicated upon removing oneself from the game and merely being an observer/rule enforcer. Umpire as you see fit and what your assignor/league demands. I'm through trying to convince anyone here that our craft is evolving. Watch the CWS tonight and enjoy the skill those guys bring to the field. I have a feeling my beloved Cubs will grab their ankles tonight, so the CWS is a safer bet. I wish all of you who disagree with my opinion well. God bless America and long live the favorite person of your choosing. Amen and hallelujah. This concludes the entertainment segment of the show.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 04:52pm.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Or should I just ignore on the offense?

Quote:
I don't warn a pitcher (directly or through an intermediary) who 'is close to balking'. That is being an OOO. If he balks, call it. If he didn't then it is a legal pitch.
I am quite sure that I understand your position. You've stated it often enough, and my parents got their money's worth. I am now more interested now in how you will respond after admitting that you have been mischaracerizing RichMSN's position in this thread.

At the risk of being an OOOFR*, I'll warn you that you are close to appearing unethical at this point. Call it preventive posting.

* Overly Officious Official Forum Reader
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I am just a little ole' HS official, but I am happy to send a catcher out to talk to a pitcher (I'll call a balk when the pitcher balks, but when he's close but not balking, it hurts nobody to have the catcher remind him that he's close) or talk to post players to let them know I'm there. What I'm saying is that I agree completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Sometimes Mike you're just wrong in how officiating is done in the modern age.

I have been taught for many, many moons that preventive officiating is not only accepted but it clearly defines the top officials from the "almost" top officials.

Quietly reminding a pitcher that he needs to "pause better" when you are a base umpire, telling post men in basketball to quit pushing on each other while trying to gain position, or assiting a wide reciever to line up legally in a football game are not coaching.

Telling players to stay back on the grass as a runner scores is not coaching it is asking that the players respect you in doing your job.

T
Quote:
Do I need to quote them again?
Nah, I'll do it.

Quote:
I did it once and you seem to have a problem understanding that Tim and RichMSN both stated that it is acceptable to prevent a pitcher from balking by alerting him to his rule breaking mechanics. Geesh.
I have a problem understanding that they stated that because they haven't. It's pretty clear, actually, especially with Rich's statement above. I even used crayon on it so you could spot it more easily.

Quote:
I confine my baseball talk to the baseball forum. If you want to know what those sports tolerate, ask there.
Your insistence that other sports arent' relevant is comical, but sticktoit.

Quote:
I have never told a HC that his AC is about to be ejected. I also don't warn coaches that if they keep it up they will be tossed. I call what I see or hear. Impartiality begins with the ability to make tough calls.
When an AC starts getting chippy in a basketball game, I'll normally give the HC the courtesy of a warning. It's not in the rules, but it's expected. Sometimes, they simply go too far too quickly and a warning isn't possible.[/QUOTE]

I'm approaching this from a different perspective. A baseball fan who officiates basketball. I don't ump, haven't since I was in high school. But your insistence that preventive officiating is "cheating" and against the NFHS code of ethics is just laughable.

It apparently violates your personal moral code, and like Jeff, I have no problem with that. Just keep on keeping on, and hold on tight to that high road, it's windy.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

It apparently violates your personal moral code, and like Jeff, I have no problem with that. Just keep on keeping on, and hold on tight to that high road, it's windy.
I think we have done quite well without Mike's opinion about officiating, I think I can continue to do those things that work for me and that has worked for others for years.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

This has, once again, spiraled way out of control.
Closed Thread