The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Live ball appeal - missed home plate

I'm confusing myself.
I could use an answer for ASA, NFHS and NCAA fastpitch.

BR beats the throw to home (by several steps - in fact there is no tag attempt) but misses home plate.
F2 mis handles ball and goes to fence to retrieve it as BR (unaware that she missed plate) heads to her dugout.
F2 tosses ball to F1 in the circle area as defence fans start shouting "throw it home", she missed the plate", etc.
By now BR is in the crowd of congratulations at her dugout.
Ball reaches F2 who has foot on plate (it is clear to me that she is appealing the missed base) and (accidentally) tags BR before she can re-touch home plate.

Question, at what point (if any) can this live ball missed base appeal be accomplished by tagging the base only (and making the appeal known).

Is it actually entering dead ball territory?

Where is it described in each of the books?

Thanks
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question...

Speaking ASA:
A live ball appeal can be made at any time the ball is live. If the defense tags the proper base and clearly appeals a specific runner missing that base, the call can be made at any time (8-7-G and RS #1). You should hesitate slightly to see if the runner will realize their mistake, then make the call. Just don't make it too obvious.

However, it should be noted that in this situation, make sure the team does not push her back towards the plate to tag it. At that point, it's a dead ball, out, run is removed (8-7-E).

There are also circumstances under which the runner may not return to touch HP if they missed it. If they've left the field of play (entering the dugout) or if a runner behind them scores, they're out of luck (RS #1).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:39pm.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I'm confusing myself.

BR beats the throw to home (by several steps - in fact there is no tag attempt) but misses home plate.
F2 mis handles ball and goes to fence to retrieve it as BR (unaware that she missed plate) heads to her dugout.
F2 tosses ball to F1 in the circle area as defence fans start shouting "throw it home", she missed the plate", etc.
Ball reaches F2 who has foot on plate (it is clear to me that she is appealing the missed base)
Then you rule on the appeal.

Quote:
and (accidentally) tags BR before she can re-touch home plate.
Who cares, runner is already out.

Quote:
Question, at what point (if any) can this live ball missed base appeal be accomplished by tagging the base only (and making the appeal known).
At any time until the ball is declared dead or the next pitch occurs. And, of course, before the runner comes back to touch the plate.

Quote:

Has no affect on the appeal play.

Quote:
ASA RS #1
Quote:

Thanks
You're welcome
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Live Ball Appeal

Is it correct that the infielder can appeal verbally, without the ball, by telling the Umpire that the runner missed the base?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding your question...

Because in baseball you have to tag the runner unless he has progressed a distance from home and is making no effort to return.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
Is it correct that the infielder can appeal verbally, without the ball, by telling the Umpire that the runner missed the base?
Only for a dead ball appeal. If the ball's live, the fielder (ANY fielder) with the ball may make the appeal by touching the proper base or runner.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Because in baseball you have to tag the runner unless he has progressed a distance from home and is making no effort to return.
Ahhh... The sport I've never called.

Wasn't sure why he was going there, but thanks for the clarification.

Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Similar situation

I had this happen on what would have been a winning run. (Time and innings expired, pool game that counted towards seeding, so it mattered). Proper appeal was made and runner was the third out. My veteran partner said the only problem was that I had not made a safe signal. However there had been no play on the runner when she crossed the plate. Should I have signaled safe, even with no play. I don't routinely give the safe signal on runs scored when they do touch the plate. Am I wrong.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFPBlue View Post
I had this happen on what would have been a winning run. (Time and innings expired, pool game that counted towards seeding, so it mattered). Proper appeal was made and runner was the third out. My veteran partner said the only problem was that I had not made a safe signal. However there had been no play on the runner when she crossed the plate. Should I have signaled safe, even with no play. I don't routinely give the safe signal on runs scored when they do touch the plate. Am I wrong.
Speaking ASA:
You've sort of answered your own question there. If you don't normally make a "safe" call when a runner crosses (and touches) the plate, why should you do things any differently? Anything different may tip off the defense (or offense) that the plate was missed.

What's been stressed repeatedly at NUS was no play, no call. If no play is being made on a runner, there's no reason to give a safe call.

Can't speak for NFHS or NCAA, though. If you're looking for their mechanics, someone else will have to chime in.

Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I'm confusing myself.

Ball reaches F2 who has foot on plate (it is clear to me that she is appealing the missed base) and (accidentally) tags BR before she can re-touch home plate.

Thanks
NCAA:
12.22 Missing a Base
12.22.2.1 If a runner misses home plate and the fielder misses or makes no attempt to tag the runner, the umpire should make a safe signal and declare "No tag." If an appeal play is made (that is by tagging either the runner or home plate), the umpire should then make a decision on the appeal.
7.1.2.1 Live Ball Appeal
A live-ball appeal is made by touching the base the runner missed or left before a fly ball was first touched or by tagging the runner who committed the violation, provided she is still on the playing field, and indicating to the umpire what is being appealed (if necessary).
2010 CCA Softball Umpires Manual:
6.1 Appeal Plays (Pg.68-70)
LIVE BALL or DEAD BALL-appeals that can be made during either a live ball or dead ball
> Missing a base
> Leaving a base on a caught fly ball before the ball is first touched
live ball appeals may be made by bringing the ball to the base missed or left too soon or by tagging the runner with the ball.....

Based on your sitch...under NCAA rules you have an out.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
NCAA:
12.22 Missing a Base
12.22.2.1 If a runner misses home plate and the fielder misses or makes no attempt to tag the runner, the umpire should make a safe signal and declare "No tag." If an appeal play is made (that is by tagging either the runner or home plate), the umpire should then make a decision on the appeal.
7.1.2.1 Live Ball Appeal
A live-ball appeal is made by touching the base the runner missed or left before a fly ball was first touched or by tagging the runner who committed the violation, provided she is still on the playing field, and indicating to the umpire what is being appealed (if necessary).
2010 CCA Softball Umpires Manual:
6.1 Appeal Plays (Pg.68-70)
LIVE BALL or DEAD BALL-appeals that can be made during either a live ball or dead ball
> Missing a base
> Leaving a base on a caught fly ball before the ball is first touched
live ball appeals may be made by bringing the ball to the base missed or left too soon or by tagging the runner with the ball.....

Based on your sitch...under NCAA rules you have an out.
Thank you...
Your reference is what I was looking for.

Thanks to others for the responses.

Rich Ives was on the track as to what prompted my question.
In my particular situation, we had the out no matter what, but I was prompted to think about what (if any restrictions) there were on the live ball, missed base appeal.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

RULE 7
Appeals and Protests

7.1 Appeals

7.1.1 An appeal is a play or rule violation on which the umpire does not make a ruling until requested by a coach or player. The following may be appealed:

7.1.1.2.5 A runner is assumed to have touched the base and if a

proper appeal is not made, the runner is safe.

(a) If a runner misses home plate and the catcher misses or makes
no attempt to tag the runner, the umpire shall make a safe
signal and declare “No tag.” If a proper appeal is made, by
tagging the plate or runner before the runner returns to the
plate, the runner shall be declared out.

Here is the problem I have with the NCAA ruling. I understand this is what they want and that is the way it should be handled when working their game.

If, by rule, the runner is assumed to have touched the base and the umpire is not to make a ruling until requested, what do they call an umpire verbalizing "No tag"? Casual conversation? IMO, this is dictated coaching.

I fully expect a few people to attempt to justify it. Don't waste your time or keystrokes, it's not worth the trouble. It is just my opinion, which I believe we are still permitted at least for now.

However, I feel this as ludicrous as pointing foul on a ball near the line.

Do they think that "no tag" is going to just be overlooked and the player and coaches are going to just say, "oh well, I missed the tag"? GMAFB!!

You know damn well this is an indicator which the catcher has been told by the coach to continue playing and block any access to the plate immediately upon hearing the umpire say anything other than safe or out.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Mar 03, 2010 at 12:21am.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

declaring "no tag" is a huge poker tell, and far more message than a simple safe call, so I am in agreement with you. but as you'll recall in a previous thread, ump tom asked what a simple safe call communicates to everyone, coaches, players and possibly fans. in this situation, does safe = runner touched home plate? imagine a viewer watching that on TV w/ instant replay.

Appeal a turn toward second.

it appears that as one moves up the umpiring food chain, higher level softball expects more "lines" from umpires than simple safe/out calls, or simply "doing nothing". ASA & NFHS games will most likely never be broadcast on ESPN (ESPN36 in the future perhaps, who knows?) , but the trend seems to be calls tailored to be more palatable for a wider audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
RULE 7
Appeals and Protests

7.1 Appeals

7.1.1 An appeal is a play or rule violation on which the umpire does not make a ruling until requested by a coach or player. The following may be appealed:

signal and declare “No tag.” If a proper appeal is made, by

Here is the problem I have with the NCAA ruling. I understand this is what they want and that is the way it should be handled when working their game.

If, by rule, the runner is assumed to have touched the base and the umpire is not to make a ruling until requested, what do they call an umpire verbalizing "No tag"? Casual conversation? IMO, this is dictated coaching.

I fully expect a few people to attempt to justify it. Don't waste your time or keystrokes, it's not worth the trouble. It is just my opinion, which I believe we are still permitted at least for now.

Do they think that "no tag" is going to just be overlooked and the player and coaches are going to just say, "oh well, I missed the tag"? GMAFB!!

You know damn well this is an indicator which the catcher has been told by the coach to continue playing and block any access to the plate immediately upon hearing the umpire say anything other than safe or out.

Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
RULE 7
Appeals and Protests

7.1 Appeals

signal and declare ?No tag.? If a proper appeal is made, by

An easy way around this would be to simply call no tag whether they miss the base or not. I had to read this a couple of times because of assuming thta is what they'd do, to get what you were saying.
________
Live sex

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:15pm.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
An easy way around this would be to simply call no tag whether they miss the base or not. I had to read this a couple of times because of assuming thta is what they'd do, to get what you were saying.
But would not comply with the (stupid) rule. Only if the runner misses the plate, and there is no tag (attempted or not) does the rule state the umpire is make a declaration.

I promise I pissed off many the year they made this a rule by asking why we didn't just tell the defense "SHE MISSED THE PLATE!!!".

So much for an appeal for a missed base being a play where the umpire does not make a ruling unless asked. In the NCAA, that is only true for 3 of the 4 bases; on the fourth, we tell them to appeal!!. Because they say so!!

Not a mechanic (which you could ignore without penalty, but at your own peril). By rule, so your failure to comply is protestable.