The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Foul Ball/Dead Ball

Was working a FED game the other day, Batter swings and hits the ball, a few steps out of the batters box the ball bounces up and hits him. I mistakenly yell "Foul Ball" and before I have the chance to correct myself the Defensive Coach comes out to talk to me about the play. I explained to him that I kicked it, and it was a Dead Ball and the batter is out. I explain this to the Offensive Coach, who proceeds to tell me that you can't change a foul ball to a fair ball, and he tried to relate it to a ball down the line that I call foul then change my mind and call fair (which I know cannot be done). I explained that this is different because the ball is dead at contact, and there is no play to be made by the defense. Anyone have this happen to them? If so, how did you handle it? Also, how do you feel I handled the situation AFTER I made the incorrect call? Should I have let the foul ball stand and brought him back to bat? Or did I rule correctly?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, it just came out of my mouth wrong. I should have said "Time!, that's interference, the batter is out" "

Not much he could say, that wouldn't get him ejected, after that.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

This is the era of "get it right." For judgment calls, I would not change it (just eat it and slow down next time); but the OP is a case of a misapplied rule and should be fixed. kylejt's remedy works for me.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 04:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
"Coach, it just came out of my mouth wrong. I should have said "Time!, that's interference, the batter is out" "

Not much he could say, that wouldn't get him ejected, after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This is the era of "get it right." For judgment calls, I would not change it (just eat it and slow down next time); but the OP is a case of a misapplied rule and should be fixed. kylejt's remedy works for me.
+1. Very correctable situation.

Don't let coaches tell you how to umpire. Even that coach knew he was grasping at straws. Once you admit your mistake, be firm in your changed call.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
The O-coach was incorrect. NFHS Umpire Manual states when a fair/foul call could be reversed, specifically whether or not a homerun is fair or foul. It is an example wherein the status of the ball is dead regardless of what final decision is rendered. The same could be used to strengthen your justification to reverse your decision from foul (dead ball) to interference (also a dead ball.)

Perhaps someday your play will be in the NFHS casebook.

Re: NFHS rule 2-16-1, 10-1-4, 10-2-3l, CB situations 2.16.1B, 2.16.1D, 5.1.1C, and Umpires Manual, I. 13. p. 6.