The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Dash, if it happened, would you balk him for starting and stopping? I guess if the ball fell out of his glove and didn't cross the foul line, that would work, too.
=====

MLB RULEBOOK

8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when—

(k) The pitcher, while touching his plate, accidentally or intentionally drops the ball;

=====

You can not drop the ball while you are on the mound. The foul line has nothing to do with this rule.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff View Post
=====

MLB RULEBOOK

(k) The pitcher, while touching his plate, accidentally or intentionally drops the ball;

=====

You can not drop the ball while you are on the mound. The foul line has nothing to do with this rule.
Yes it does - if you read the interpretations you will find that if it crosses the foul line it's ruled a ball, not a balk.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Yes it does - if you read the interpretations you will find that if it crosses the foul line it's ruled a ball, not a balk.
That interpretation is specifically cited when the ball is dropped during a pitch, not a throw to first. And, if I recall, since I don't have my book with me, JEA makes a distinction between the two.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
That interpretation is specifically cited when the ball is dropped during a pitch, not a throw to first. And, if I recall, since I don't have my book with me, JEA makes a distinction between the two.
Actually the MLBUM says if a pitched ball slips .. .

So Andy Pettitte starts his delivery from set and drops the ball. Given his "move" how do you distinguish whether it was a pitch or not?

Or a pitcher does a "swing back" toward 2B, from which he can either pitch or go to 2B, and drops the ball - how do you distinguish?

Ball hits the ground and rolls obver the line - ball.

That;s my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

If he drops the ball while he is on the rubber it is a balk.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Actually the MLBUM says if a pitched ball slips .. .

So Andy Pettitte starts his delivery from set and drops the ball. Given his "move" how do you distinguish whether it was a pitch or not?

Or a pitcher does a "swing back" toward 2B, from which he can either pitch or go to 2B, and drops the ball - how do you distinguish?

Ball hits the ground and rolls obver the line - ball.

That;s my story and I'm sticking to it.

That's okay. I understand you and many others feel that way. I'm just saying that the interps you referred to do not back you up. They specifically mention a "pitched" ball, not a ball dropped when the pitcher is not in the process of delivering a pitch.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

YouTube - Pitching from the Stretch Basics

1:16

Youtube - Balk Rules

1:19

Last edited by Coach Dykhoff; Tue May 03, 2011 at 03:01pm.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
youtube isn't exactly the prime source for this.

Try getting the Evans balk video from his web site.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

I will use another rule citation then.

=====

MLB RULE 8.01

(d) If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.

Rule 8.01(d) Comment: A ball which slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would be a balk with men on base.

=====
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Coach read 801d comment again slowly this time.....

Rule 8.01(d) Comment: A ball which slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would be a balk with men on base.

So, if a dropped ball doesn't cross the line, it's a balk, with runners on. If it crosses the line, it's a ball. Can't make it any clearer than that. That said, chances are if a pitcher drops the ball while on the rubber it's not going to cross the foul lines. Therefore you'll have your balk.

Last edited by justanotherblue; Tue May 03, 2011 at 08:16pm. Reason: clarity....hopefully
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Coach read 801d comment again slowly this time.....

So, if a dropped ball doesn't cross the line, it's a balk, with runners on. If it crosses the line, it's a ball. Can't make it any clearer than that.
The second sentence is classifying "both" of the scenerios listed in the first sentence (The ball and no pitch). Instead of it being called a no pitch if it doesn't cross the line it is called a balk.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You might want to read it slowly. The second sentence is classifying "both" of the scenerios listed in the first sentence (The ball and no pitch). Instead of it being called a no pitch if it doesn't cross the line it is called a balk.
Let me try this one more time. The second ISN'T classifying "both". It's telling you that a ball that slips out of a pitcher's hand and crosses the foul line is a ball, not a balk. It is also telling you that a pitch/slip out of a pitchers hand with no runners on base is a no pitch, should it not cross a foul line. The last portion is telling you that if the ball doesn't cross the foul lines and there are runners on base, it's a balk. Just as Rich and other's have tried to tell you. But were just umpires here, not coaches, so also check out the MLBUM, JEA, Jaksa/Roder as well as BRD, all cover this particular play. Because to fully comprehend the rules of baseball, you need to reference the above mentioned manuals, in order to be a competent umpire and or understand the rules of baseball.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 08:44pm

Quote:
You might want to read it slowly. The second sentence is classifying "both" of the scenerios listed in the first sentence (The ball and no pitch). Instead of it being called a no pitch if it doesn't cross the line it is called a balk.
This is a grammatical error in the rules. With runners on, if the dropped ball crosses the foul line, it is a ball, not a balk. Otherwise, it's a balk. With no runners, it is a ball if it crosses the foul line, and No Pitch if it doesn't. That's the rule.

Jim Evans has identified over 235 errors in the rulebook, and not all of them have been fixed yet.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

So this rule has nothing to do with it?

=====

MLB RULEBOOK

=====
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 09:03pm

Quote:
So this rule has nothing to do with it?

=====

MLB RULEBOOK

=====
If you can produce one single piece of documented evidence of a dropped, not thrown, ball rolling into foul territory from the pitching rubber, I will continue this ridiculous discussion. Perhaps the rule needs to be rewritten so it matches 8.01(d), the other poorly worded rule.

As was stated, we don't just go by the rule book for decisions. This is at all levels of baseball, including professional. We as umpires use all the alphabet soup-named manuals that were already mentioned, which include casebook plays and official interpretations by the governing powers at each level of baseball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25