The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguy View Post
I disagree that this is interference in baseball. (NFHS) The most current rule book I have with me is 2007, but I cite 8-4-2g, note 1: "If two fielders try and field a batted ball and the runner contacts one or both, the umpire shall decide which one is entitled to field the ball and that fielder only is entitled to protection."

I am leery of calling runner interference on a misplayed ball.
The rule you're citing concerns a play where 2 fielders have a play on the ball. For instance, if the batter hits the ball in the hole, and both F5 and F6 have a play on it. In that case, only one fielder is protected. This provision is quite irrelevant to the case under consideration.

This is not a misplayed ball, it's a deflected ball. And even if you call it misplayed, what provision of the rule shows that it's not interference? The fielder has the right of way unless HE, not a teammate, misplays the ball.

And if you're not going to call INT here, do you realize that you probably have to call obstruction? Not in my game.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree that this is interference in baseball. (NFHS) The most current rule book I have with me is 2007, but I cite 8-4-2g, note 1: "If two fielders try and field a batted ball and the runner contacts one or both, the umpire shall decide which one is entitled to field the ball and that fielder only is entitled to protection."

It is absolutely positively interference in OBR.

MLBUM:

After a batted ball has been touched (deflected) by an infielder, if the ball then strikes a runner (unintentionally on the part of the runner), it is alive and in play despite the fact that another infielder may be in position to field the ball. This is not the case if a fielder is making a play on the ball. Specifically, if a batted ball is deflected by an infielder and another infielder has a play on the ball, the runner must avoid the fielder. If the runner interferes with the fielder making a play — even though the ball has been touched by another fielder — the runner is declared out.
Under the rules, a fielder making a play on a batted ball takes priority.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You're being facetious, but why would we? You wouldn't distinguish a topical thread in the wrong forum from an off-topic thread in the right one?
I was just fascinated with how quickly y'all policed that off-sport question.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was just fascinated with how quickly y'all policed that off-sport question.
Oh, not just any off-sport.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There's a huge difference between a misplayed ball and a deflected ball... this one was not misplayed.

Also, the case you describe refers to two fielders fielding the same ball at the same time (think a popup between 2 fielders).

West Houston Mike