The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Bob, kick this one around:

No one on, one out. Batter swings at the pitch and the ball goes down, rolling fifteen feet or so to where the F5 (playing in) grabs it in fair territory. PU IMMEDIATELY signals fair and takes a step or two towards the ball. F5 makes the throw to F3. The batter is hopping up and down on one foot and the HC is declaring that the ball was foul, off the batter's foot while in the box. You see the batter's reaction and had watched the ball hit the his foot, or at least the best you could see from 100+ feet away. Your PU gave an adamant signal IMMEDIATELY. Do you kill the play? Do you wait for him to ask your help? Agree with him or give what you had?
Been there, done that. Both ways. Bob is exactly correct here.

Seen the ball clearly go off of Batter, I take two steps in, wait for partner to react and kill the play. You kill it quick, loudly and confidently and never, not once, has it been questioned.

Also, did not clearly see the ball hit the batter and neither did PU but you immeadiately have a dancing batter in front of you. Use some judgement man. Only seen Derek Jeter last year fake getting hit by the ball and he makes a living trying to get on base. Your average ballplayer is not going to jump around like a kangaroo unless he gets hit. And yes, I have even seen batters get hit and take off for first, theres an easy out on a dumb ball player.

In a perfect game if you have to go to your partner 2-3 times during the game, your going to take crap. There is no carte blanc method that works perfectly. Just look at MLB. There is a fine line between knowing when to act like an arrogant arse and when to act like a well groomed team. If you both work to get your own calls right and communicate only when necessary your going to look like the latter. There is no black and whte answer here.

Just remember though, when you, or your partner screw up, you both look bad.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:16pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You said in so many words, "Get it right forget procedures."
http://forum.officiating.com/750056-post55.html Now get it right Rut.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:19pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Refusing to "correct" your partner is absolutely not a lack of integrity.
Refusing to tell your partner he was wrong on a play call that can be corrected, and should be corrected, when you know he is most assuredly is. It is a lie and fraud by omission.
Quote:
STB ... let me ask this. Say a pitch is a good foot outside, but your partner calls it a strike. Are you going to stop play and go correct him?
http://forum.officiating.com/750056-post55.html
Balls and strikes are not play calls, did you not know that?

Last edited by Simply The Best; Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 08:22pm.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Refusing to tell your partner he was wrong on a play call that can be corrected, and should be corrected, when you know he is most assuredly is. It is a lie and fraud by omission.
Okie dokie...then, how about enlightening us poor uneducated folk with YOUR list of those calls that can be corrected without invitation by one's partner.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You must not remember this post.

Quote:
I hate when umpires play with words instead of centering on getting the call right regardless.

Screw proper. Get the call right. Properly if possible, or not.
BTW, this was post #10 if you want to dispute my comments.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool Psa ii

Apparently, my first PSA was a little too "opaque" for some of you. Quite a few of whom should just "know better", if I may say so.

So, I'll just try to "net it out".

Simply, a troll is one who participates in a "discussion forum" for the sole purpose of fomenting argument for his self-gratification.

Some trolls demonstrate some "knowledge" of the subject, and use it to both establish some minimal level of credibility and provoke argument, by making statements he knows will be considered "outrageous" - and, so, sure to provoke argument.

The argument inevitably proves as pointless as it is contentious.

Trolls are a form of "pollution" of a board. It is up to the participants to "clean it up".

When a troll does not receive the "attention" he craves, he gets bored and leaves. Any response to or discussion of a troll only encourages and gratifies him.

Please, do not feed the trolls.

Give a hoot, don't pollute!

That is all.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 11:41pm.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 11:30pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Okie dokie...then, how about enlightening us poor uneducated folk with YOUR list of those calls that can be corrected without invitation by one's partner.
http://forum.officiating.com/750056-post55.html
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, of course, UmpJM. It's just that it was kind of nostalgic to have InterestedUmp, Deej, Fitump56 and the rest of the gang back with us again.

Fortunately there's enough room for STB on the ignore list along with his other nom de plumes.

Hey Frick, say hello to Frack for me.

Buh Bye.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

MrUmpire,

Personally, I feel more nostalgic for drumbumb, gruberted, and, yes, even cc6.

At least they were entertaining.

JM
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's bull Bob and you know it. It is not what I said over and over again at all.
I didn't quote you when I made my post. I was just offering a generic opinion to the thread and the OP.

But, if the shoe fits, ...

And, FWIW, your strident repeating of your absolute position is wearing thin. You could save a lot of time by just changing you sig to "If you see something other than what your partner called, jsut go in and get it right, always" and post it once a day.

Hmm, I wonder if the user name "Johnny One-Note" is taken?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:01am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, FWIW, your strident repeating of your absolute position is wearing thin. You could save a lot of time by just changing you sig to "If you see something other than what your partner called, jsut go in and get it right, always" and post it once a day.
Which isn't what I said. http://forum.officiating.com/750056-post55.html so there's no use putting it in a sig, is there. Folks are going to twist posts as they see fit.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

And to think, after all these years I have attributed the phrase "I never said what I said" to Yogi Berra.