The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

FED Plate Conference

FED RULES

1) If the head coach is at the game site, is he allowed to miss the plate conference for any reason?

2) Are captains REQUIRED to be at the plate conference, or is it at the option of the head coach?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a rule book to cite but if the HC is on site he is required to attend the plate meeting. If he fails to do so, the penalty is restriction to the dugout.

Team captains can come to the plate meeting. They are not required. I have seen PU's call for managers and team captains. I personally do not. I would be interested to hear if others call for team captains at plate meetings.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

1. In general, no, FED wants the head coach present. But there might be rare exceptions: an injured player, etc. Some of those will be a reason to delay the plate meeting rather than excusing the head coach from it.

2. No.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
FED RULES

1) If the head coach is at the game site, is he allowed to miss the plate conference for any reason?
The HC is supposed to be at the plate meeting. Discression should be used before restricting the HC. Example: he missed the bus and he called to say he is 5 minutes away - hold off.

If, however, the coach is "busy and can't attend", restrict him.

Quote:
2) Are captains REQUIRED to be at the plate conference, or is it at the option of the head coach?
No, there are not required to attend.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Locally, whom ever comes out to the plate meeting is accepted for that game as the head coach. If I think I possibly have as assistant instead of the head coach I will double check and confirm that the person at the plate meeting will be doing the talking for that team, and no one else. I don't know if the "real" head coach has been fired, suspended and will be leaving before the first pitch (what he is doing there when he probably shouldn't be is not my business) or, if the team is training a new guy to be a head coach (summer league). In the FED book we don't care if the coach changes every game, our state associations may care but that is above my head as an official, if you say you're the head coach who am I to say any different.
Oh, and captains, I don't ask for them, have never seen any come out but if they did I'm not going to shoo them away in a FED game, and they definitely not required to attend.

Jasper
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
have never seen any come out
I've seen it twice in two years. Both games were the last home game of the year for the team. Why? Don't know.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
I've seen it twice in two years. Both games were the last home game of the year for the team. Why? Don't know.
Senior recognition game.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FED RULES

Note that states / local areas might deviate from this somewhat.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Senior recognition game.
I think one was a JV game. :P
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Radio Interview

I have allowed a head coach to send his assistant due to a radio station broadcasting the game wanted to interview the coach at 10 mins til. I make sure he tells me that his team is legally and properly equipped and sportsmanship is a priority.

I have had more jewelry warnings this year. What's up with that?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
I have allowed a head coach to violate a rule that is important enough to FED that they've made it a POE in the past.
There, fixed that for you.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Now that this is answered and obvious, I ask simply for information only:

Our state requires that umpires check bats and hats together. In other words, both umpires check HT and then head over to VT to conduct the check. I have heard conflicting rationale. One said that it prevents one guy from getting entangled in an ugly situation, another cited the need to get it done faster and yet one more said that it is because of liability (i.e. two sets of eyes and ears to ensure that no one can say we didn't do our checks. Before I moved away, the PU checked one and the BU checked the other. if you had three man working, the BUs handled the chores. It's not that I mind, heck my season gets underway in a couple days, but it is different.

Is this the way your association/league/group handles the pregame equipment check? Any problems with a pregame equipment removal that necessitated this mechanic for you?

Thank you!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Is this the way your association/league/group handles the pregame equipment check? Any problems with a pregame equipment removal that necessitated this mechanic for you?
Yes, for two reasons: 1) You have an extra set of eyes for any questions; 2) You look like a team by working together.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:29am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Our state requires that umpires check bats and hats together. In other words, both umpires check HT and then head over to VT to conduct the check. I have heard conflicting rationale. One said that it prevents one guy from getting entangled in an ugly situation, another cited the need to get it done faster and yet one more said that it is because of liability (i.e. two sets of eyes and ears to ensure that no one can say we didn't do our checks.
It is all about liability since pre game checks are a complete and total ruse.
Quote:
I teach go through with the association mandated ritual then get on to tasks and duties that are of real importance.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:31am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
I have allowed a head coach to send his assistant due to a radio station broadcasting the game wanted to interview the coach at 10 mins til. I make sure he tells me that his team is legally and properly equipped and sportsmanship is a priority.
Association mandated? Because if not, it is a waste of time asking these questions.
Quote:
I have had more jewelry warnings this year. What's up with that?
Gold has escalated in value.