The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Association Mandated

We are required to ask the questions and work with media requests that we feel are reasonable. I still have them draw a media box for cameramen if they want to be on the field.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 07:52am
In Time Out

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
We are required to ask the questions and work with media requests that we feel are reasonable. I still have them draw a media box for cameramen if they want to be on the field.
Is the media box in or out of play?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Out of play, by rule.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Media Box

We had a big bru ha (sp?) over a media box several years back. A local photographer wanted on the field for action shots and the umps told him the media box needed to be drawn before the game started. The local paper went to the state association to voice its concerns about covering the games. The state backed the umps, but a lot of ill will resulted.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had a big bru ha (sp?) over a media box several years back. A local photographer wanted on the field for action shots and the umps told him the media box needed to be drawn before the game started. The local paper went to the state association to voice its concerns about covering the games. The state backed the umps, but a lot of ill will resulted.
Of course the state backed the umps. Rule 1-2-8:
ART. 8 . . . Media shall be prohibited from being in live-ball area. If a designated
media area is to be used, it shall be established before the game begins.
The home team or game management shall designate a lined area for the media,
which shall be considered dead-ball area.
The umpires were absolutely correct by rule. Poor media babies, didn't get their way.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:50am
In Time Out

Originally Posted by Simply The Best
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Out of play, by rule.
I'll restate. Robert Harrison: Are your media boxes always on the field?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best I'll restate. Robert Harrison: Are your media boxes always on the field?
From his statement:
Quote:
I still have them draw a media box for cameramen if they want to be on the field.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Here, if there is media, and they want to be on (what would normally be) the field, we draw boxes (or designate an area). If they aren't on what would normally be the field, we don't care where they are or what is drawn.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Media Box

Normally, the media box is just beyond the dugout, inside the fence, lined up close to first base (It could be near third base dugout as well). The chalk line defines the box and a ball that hits anything in it is dead. If a ball goes through the box without touching anything it is still live and play on. Photographers are supposed to stay in the box during play.

Last edited by Robert E. Harrison; Tue Mar 22, 2011 at 01:28pm.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 02:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Normally, the media box is just beyond the dugout, inside the fence, lined up close to first base (It could be near third base dugout as well). The chalk line defines the box and a ball that hits anything in it is dead. If a ball goes through the box without touching anything it is still live and play on. Photographers are supposed to stay in the box during play.
I'm trying to remember where (it could be in The Netherlands not the US) media boxes have been moved off the playing field, no option like they are in professional ball. A "box" is setup for parents, media, whomever and they stay there.

The rule was modified to include anyone or thing that is struck that is inside the playing field (usually an overzealous photographer) to be a dead ball and players are not allowed to reach inside the "box" to make a catch or play.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Association mandated? Because if not, it is a waste of time asking these questions.Gold has escalated in value.
Mandated by Rule and common sense.

2-10-2: "Umpires shall also ask the head coaches of the two opposing teams if their players are legally and properly equipped."

Also, I can tell you that if anyone gets hurt in a game and as a result a lawsuit is filed, this will be one of the questions asked of you - "Did you inquire of the coaches, as the rules require you do, and if so, what did they respond." If you can't answer that question properly, you may have just added your name to the list of defendants.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

You bring up a good point, the head coach must be made available and it is good practice to receive their confirmation of proper equipment and sportsmanship. Maybe things have changed while I was out of the country for the past few years but I recall great debate on the site about umpire liability. I believe most felt it was urban legend for baseball umpires to be found liable for negligence while working a game. If that opinion has changed I would love to read more. Anyone know of a baseball umpire who was successfully sued for being negligent during a game?

Thanks and have a great season.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Historically, the chance of actually being found negligent is very low. There is a greater chance (and I do not know what that is) of being sued and that still costs time and money. One would be wise to try and reasonably reduce that risk whenever possible.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
You bring up a good point, the head coach must be made available and it is good practice to receive their confirmation of proper equipment and sportsmanship. Maybe things have changed while I was out of the country for the past few years but I recall great debate on the site about umpire liability. I believe most felt it was urban legend for baseball umpires to be found liable for negligence while working a game. If that opinion has changed I would love to read more. Anyone know of a baseball umpire who was successfully sued for being negligent during a game?

Thanks and have a great season.
Quick Google search gave me this:

Sports officiating: a legal guide - Google Books

The book cites several lawsuits against umpires. And the fact that the lawsuit was not "successful" against the umpires doesn't mean that it wasn't costly. The legal fees and court costs of defending such a lawsuit (whether it has any merit or not) is the real problem,

By taking the time to recite this one quick sentence from the rulebook (and getting the appropriate response from the coaches), you have given your defense a big boost and have Covered Your Assets.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:14pm
In Time Out

Originally Posted by Simply The Best
Association mandated? Because if not, it is a waste of time asking these questions. It is all about liability since pre game checks are a complete and total ruse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Mandated by Rule and common sense.

2-10-2: "Umpires shall also ask the head coaches of the two opposing teams if their players are legally and properly equipped."

Also, I can tell you that if anyone gets hurt in a game and as a result a lawsuit is filed, this will be one of the questions asked of you - "Did you inquire of the coaches, as the rules require you do, and if so, what did they respond." If you can't answer that question properly, you may have just added your name to the list of defendants.
We agree, the asking of coaches if their players are properly equipped blah blah is all about liability and nothing about enforcing safety. Ever see a coach cup check a catcher? Have you cup checked a catcher? Same with checking bats. Total BS, the bats they show, are they the bats they use?

Umpires have been burdened with these ridiculous tasks because they are insured for liability (payable money in lawsuits) and coaches, parents and players refuse to adhere to the most common of safety and sportsmanship practices.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:16pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
You bring up a good point, the head coach must be made available and it is good practice to receive their confirmation of proper equipment and sportsmanship. Maybe things have changed while I was out of the country for the past few years but I recall great debate on the site about umpire liability. I believe most felt it was urban legend for baseball umpires to be found liable for negligence while working a game.
As more umpires have liability insurance, the more we will see these lawsuits.