The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

In my earlier career I used to be "Mr. Nice Guy" meaning I would start the game without getting my FEE and was told "Blue it's coming"

As the game went along, you would then have a problem with the coach (who was responsible for the FEE), meaning on the verge of tossing him and then you have to ask him for your FEE - Not a good idea.

In addition, at least this summer thunder storms have been the norm at least in the East. Some leagues play by FED rules and here in NY we have a lightening rule that states every-time we see it (no matter how far away), the game will stop for 30 minutes. In addition the clock ticks with each strike meaning suppose there was only 5 minutes left from the original 30 and we saw lightening again, then the 30 minutes starts over again.

What the aforementioned means is that if you didn't get your FEE "up front" you now have to go "chasing" a coach to get it.

Therefore, the plate conference goes something like this.

1. Coach what rules are we playing by today
2. Take us around
3. Teams properly equipped
4. Pay or No Play - simple as that

From my experience trying to be Mr. Nice guy as Leo Derosher once said means you finish last.

I have gone to games in which it was evident that the conditions were unplayable, told the Home Coach or TD, that they can save 1/2 FEE by calling the game now or once we take the field it becomes a Full Game FEE. They declined and as soon as the line-up cards were exchanged and we got our FEE - Game Over and then you start hearing it. Now I say nothing.

Therefore, in Summary, Do not be Mr. Nice Guy when it comes to getting your FEE or trying to save the teams money.

Pete Booth

Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Except for tournaments, I can't remember the last time I was paid before working. Usually, it's a check in the mail in about 10 days.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by mcrowder

it's a check in the mail in about 10 days.

What happens if it bounces? 10 days, the coach would be on his way to Tahitti.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Well,

That is the advantage of working for a formal association.

We do not send an umpire to any school, summer team or tournamant until 100% of the umpires fees have been collected by our assigning secretary.

The days of being paid at the "job site" ended about 10 to 12 years ago after an IRS audit. Of course some complained (mostly those that did not report the income) but it is now real simple and secure.

The receive a check from the association every two weeks for the games you have worked.

You always get paid AND the assigner is in control of those awkward moments when a game has been rained out during the contest or if for some other reason the games ends "early" -- the assigner alone decides the amount of payment payment for the umpires.

Of course we are 1099'd at the end of year.

Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Funny you should ask that. I have made it a habit to always ask at the pregame conference, who do I see about payment.

Just two nights ago it was the same scenario and I got the answer, "Joe the manager takes care of that, he never forgets, don't worry." At the end of the first of two, I visit Joe and he says, "don't worry about I'll get your checks to you during the second game, I never forget."

At the end of the second game (approx 5 hrs later), 10:45pm, 1hr drive home), we look for Joe. He is in the concession stand cleaning up. The one at the front of the stadium. "Hi Joe, we need to get our checks." "Oh, sorry, they are in my book on the bench, in the dugout, one second and I will get them."

Back to the dugout.

At the dugout. "Joe, please don't take this the wrong way, but could you have the checks ready at the begining of the game 1 next time." Joe says, "Oh sorry you feel that way about it, we usually have them......blah, blah, blah, yaddi yaddi yadda."

"Have a good night Joe." 11:07pm

I agree with Tee, pre-payment is the best scenario.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

A myriad of ways

I've been paid so many different ways it's not funny...

I've "worked" for three different HS assignors in NC. Here's their method and philosophy:

1) Get paid at the site. If they don't have a check for you, don't work the game.

2) Don't get paid at the site. Money is sent to assignor who deducts a one-time per season booking fee and sends you a check every two weeks.

3) Current assignor- Get paid at site. If they have a problem getting you the check, work the game and he will handle it. This worked great until this year when several schools changed finance secretaries and on three occasions there wasn't a check at game site. Eventually collected the money but it took a while.

AAU and Summer Ball

They typically write a check to you after the tournament or in the case of summer leagues every 1-2 weeks for games you have worked. If a City sanctions the league, then payment is made by check from the government and you can always expect a 1099.

Legion and travel teams

The athletic officer or head coach typically pays you and it can be by check or cash. In case it's cash, they will usually wait until they get enough at the gate to make the fee. In one instance this year, we had to get paid after the game and my partner had made an OOO type call. We had to hear about it while the coach wrote our checks.

A lot of small ball leagues and post season tourneys will pay cash on site. I hate working with someone who has been conditioned under that system. All they want to do is complain if they're not getting cash at the site. I came up in the early days under the get paid by check every two weeks system. Also, as a state employee, I only get paid once a month, so I am used to "check is in the mail" philosophy

Lawrence
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm very glad to deal with this the way we do, even if I do get my money 10 days later than you guys. It is not the coach writing us a check from his personal account (one we would have to worry about bouncing, as Pete alluded to --- sidenote Pete - if a coach can go to Tahiti on the check he's paying you for a game, you're being paid WAY more than me).

It's the school districts that send out the checks. If I happen to work more than one night in the same district, it's one check for all of those game. Most districts wait until Friday and send out checks for all the games the past week. Football does it exactly the same way.

All I have to do is fill out a tax form the first time I work in a new district, and then a brief form when I show up to the game - the concessions lady always has the form ready when we get there.

Youth ball is slightly different. I track all of my umpires games, and tell the commish who to make out checks for and for how much (she double checks them against her records - we sign in before each game). We get hand-delivered checks each week for the prior week's games.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

My (summer ball) assoc president says: "if you don't get paid at the game for whatever reason, don't worry about it. You'll get paid. If you toss the coach, or if you go to get the money and the coach gives you a bunch of bull$h!t or throws the money at your feet or something, just walk away. You'll get paid, and let me deal with the coach."

So far, i've had no problems, but generally the coaches are pretty good about paying us beforehand.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Normally, summer games are a DH, so I tell the coach at the pregame meeting that we expect to be paid between games, immediately after the first game as we're heading to the car to change.

During the high school season, we get a check every week at the meeting (sure helps in getting bodies to the meetings). During summer tournaments we get a check at the end of our last game for all games worked.

It looks so bad to have a coach hand you a $100 bill in the middle of a game as he's going to the coaches box, but I'll take it if that's the way they want to do it.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
That is the advantage of working for a formal association.

We do not send an umpire to any school, summer team or tournamant until 100% of the umpires fees have been collected by our assigning secretary.

The days of being paid at the "job site" ended about 10 to 12 years ago after an IRS audit. Of course some complained (mostly those that did not report the income) but it is now real simple and secure.

The receive a check from the association every two weeks for the games you have worked.

You always get paid AND the assigner is in control of those awkward moments when a game has been rained out during the contest or if for some other reason the games ends "early" -- the assigner alone decides the amount of payment payment for the umpires.

Of course we are 1099'd at the end of year.

We are independent contractors and are paid cash on the field for all summer ball. For high school games, we are paid by check in the mail and the high schools pay the assignor a portion. We are not considered "employees" of our association, although we all know better than that.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
HS we get paid at the end of Feb, March and Playoffs. Annual Association Dues come out of the last check.

Legion--cash at the plate. For DH, between games. One coach bounced a check to someone a couple of years ago and he was shocked nobody showed up to his next game. Umpire did get paid.

AAU--Cash at the plate. For DH, between games.

LL-- If through association, one week lead time. If through league or district, sometime this year if you hound them enough. Next year if you are a nice guy. (I'm not a nice guy if it is specifically a pay game).

Rec leagues Vary--Some fields cash at plate, others cash after game from coach (don't like this one at all) and others cash at concession stand after game. Still others cut checks once a week.

Our association prefers Tee's route because we were stiffed by local NABA teams a few years back. The guys did the games, league assured they would make good, and I don't know if National office of NABA has settled yet. We don't do NABA anymore, so I assume it did not get settled. That league has folded. It was approximately $1300 in game fees.

We allow Legion to still pay cash because they are tied in pretty tight with the schools, and the Legion Posts in the area are all very reputable.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

I have been paid all kinds of ways, cash or check on site, before or after game, check in the mail, 2 days to 4 weeks later, etc. Once this year, I had to call the school, left a message with AD, and then called assignor because it had been 4 weeks. Two days later the check arrived. I don't work where it is a wonder if I will be paid, and I work with assignors who will make sure I get paid. I have never not been paid so I don't worry about it.