The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever come up with a checklist of things to always cover in the plate conferenc? If so, what are they.
I was thinking about making a list and putting it in my lineup card holder. Sometime during the season you are bound to miss something and it will come up in a game situation. What things would you guys add, or what are the most important things to cover in the conference? Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Email me at [email protected] and I will send you a printed format.

GB
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Smile pregame

PAblue87, have a short and to the point pregame i have used for years. email me at [email protected] and i will send it to you. it can be printed and laminated for easy use.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Point of Order However

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
Has anyone ever come up with a checklist of things to always cover in the plate conferenc
PA: You are to be commended for wanting to improve your plate meeting. TAke advantage of the offers you've been given by others.

Laminate it, Bronze it, TAtoo in on your rear if you want..

BUT DO NOT pull it out at a plate meeting!!

Practice practice practice, do some JV games so you can screw up, but to repeat: DO NOT PULL OUT YOUR HOLY LIST at the plate meeting!

It looks dum, its unprofessional, you would "appear" to not know what you are doing. (And of course you do).

Nothing irritates me more than the PU partner who pulls the dead sea scrolls from his pocket and starts to read ("Item 1 of 37.. Bats not made of wood are permitted!" as the two managers look astonished and I just think about England. They wanna hear, "Slide or avoid" and that's it.

Of course we give them more, but remember.. LESS IS MORE!

Also, since you gotta "wing" it, the last thing you say, to your partner who has REMAINED SILENT throughout is, "Bobo, anything else we need to cover?" So Bobo can now SAVE you by reminding you that you need to cover the TIME LIMIT and COURTESY RUNNERS!.

Mike Branch
Member, Founder
EWS
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Re: Point of Order However

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
PA: You are to be commended for wanting to improve your plate meeting. TAke advantage of the offers you've been given by others.

Laminate it, Bronze it, TAtoo in on your rear if you want..

Practice practice practice, do some JV games so you can screw up, but to repeat: DO NOT PULL OUT YOUR HOLY LIST at the plate meeting!

It looks dum, its unprofessional, you would "appear" to not know what you are doing. (And of course you do).

Nothing irritates me more than the PU partner who pulls the dead sea scrolls from his pocket and starts to read ("Item 1 of 37.. Bats not made of wood are permitted!" as the two managers look astonished and I just think about England. They wanna hear, "Slide or avoid" and that's it.

Of course we give them more, but remember.. LESS IS MORE!

Also, since you gotta "wing" it, the last thing you say, to your partner who has REMAINED SILENT throughout is, "Bobo, anything else we need to cover?" So Bobo can now SAVE you by reminding you that you need to cover the TIME LIMIT and COURTESY RUNNERS!.
[/B]
Wise words from the antlered one. Bravo!
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

That would be DUMB! And of course I am not going to pull it out. I was just looking for some input as to what other umps include or don't even mention. Are certain things more important and need to be mentioned, or are some items better left unsaid. Thanks for the replies and the input.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Plate Conference 201

As the level of ball goes up.. the plate conferences get shorter and shorter. So much is assumed, all the stuff about, If you want to talk to us, call time, or you can't argue judgment, etc.. They know that.

If you work a bunch of different kinds of ball and leagues, then YOU need to ask questions at the meeting.

Is there a time limit, what is it?

Do you allow Courtesy Runners, for who and when?

Do you allow subbed starters to reenter? Where?

Does your rules allow play to continue of less than 9 players are available? (I like to cover this one in case a team is playing with 9!... I always then say that this assures me of their BEST behavior!)

Then Ground Rules of course. And here is a QUESTION on protocol.

Who conducts this part? It can be either (manager or ump). For example, I'm working Varsity at Home Field and the Varsity Coach has been there for 30 years. You better defer to him, "Bosco, please take us around your field."

Now I may have a summer league game at this same field 2 months later, here come 2 Legion coaches I may have seen once or twice. I know this field.. so I will take them around.

Mike Branch
Brainless in Seattle
EWS
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

baseball prgame at the plate

during the plate pre game the mot common mistake I have found is the explanation of if the ball goes through or under the fence have your outfielders setp back and raise thier hands. do not do this-----have your partner or you
huslte to were the ball lies or if had gone under the fence. there may be a ground rule double or other posture that needs to be ruled on.... thanks
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 08:14pm
Veteran College Umpire

With regard to covering ground rules - I ALWAYS ask the home coach to "take us around". If he knows that I know the rules, he may say, "You've been here and you know them - go ahead", at which time I will cover them. I also will cover them if the game is at a neutral site and neither team has been there before, or if we're in a tournament situation. I also go over them with my partner(s) BEFORE we hit the field - if I've been there before or if a partner has but I'm the plate man that day. It helps if the crew knows them before the home plate conference, so any questions the coaches raise can be clearly explained. Sometimes my explanation may not be as clear as one my partner may give. It's also VERY valuable to walk the field, preferrably with your crew but alone if necessary. And yes, the conferences get shorter the higher you go!