The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   FED Plate Conference (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/65303-fed-plate-conference.html)

bossman72 Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36am

FED Plate Conference

FED RULES

1) If the head coach is at the game site, is he allowed to miss the plate conference for any reason?

2) Are captains REQUIRED to be at the plate conference, or is it at the option of the head coach?

Forest Ump Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46am

I don't have a rule book to cite but if the HC is on site he is required to attend the plate meeting. If he fails to do so, the penalty is restriction to the dugout.

Team captains can come to the plate meeting. They are not required. I have seen PU's call for managers and team captains. I personally do not. I would be interested to hear if others call for team captains at plate meetings.

mbyron Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57am

1. In general, no, FED wants the head coach present. But there might be rare exceptions: an injured player, etc. Some of those will be a reason to delay the plate meeting rather than excusing the head coach from it.

2. No.

ozzy6900 Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 741960)
FED RULES

1) If the head coach is at the game site, is he allowed to miss the plate conference for any reason?

The HC is supposed to be at the plate meeting. Discression should be used before restricting the HC. Example: he missed the bus and he called to say he is 5 minutes away - hold off.

If, however, the coach is "busy and can't attend", restrict him.

Quote:

2) Are captains REQUIRED to be at the plate conference, or is it at the option of the head coach?

No, there are not required to attend.

stratref Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23am

Locally, whom ever comes out to the plate meeting is accepted for that game as the head coach. If I think I possibly have as assistant instead of the head coach I will double check and confirm that the person at the plate meeting will be doing the talking for that team, and no one else. I don't know if the "real" head coach has been fired, suspended and will be leaving before the first pitch (what he is doing there when he probably shouldn't be is not my business) or, if the team is training a new guy to be a head coach (summer league). In the FED book we don't care if the coach changes every game, our state associations may care but that is above my head as an official, if you say you're the head coach who am I to say any different.
Oh, and captains, I don't ask for them, have never seen any come out but if they did I'm not going to shoo them away in a FED game, and they definitely not required to attend.

Jasper

yawetag Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratref (Post 741975)
have never seen any come out

I've seen it twice in two years. Both games were the last home game of the year for the team. Why? Don't know.

Rich Ives Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 741977)
I've seen it twice in two years. Both games were the last home game of the year for the team. Why? Don't know.

Senior recognition game.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09pm

Quote:

FED RULES

Note that states / local areas might deviate from this somewhat.

yawetag Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 741996)
Senior recognition game.

I think one was a JV game. :P

Robert E. Harrison Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37pm

Radio Interview

I have allowed a head coach to send his assistant due to a radio station broadcasting the game wanted to interview the coach at 10 mins til. I make sure he tells me that his team is legally and properly equipped and sportsmanship is a priority.

I have had more jewelry warnings this year. What's up with that?

MrUmpire Mon Mar 21, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 742019)
I have allowed a head coach to violate a rule that is important enough to FED that they've made it a POE in the past.

There, fixed that for you.

MikeStrybel Mon Mar 21, 2011 02:18pm

Now that this is answered and obvious, I ask simply for information only:

Our state requires that umpires check bats and hats together. In other words, both umpires check HT and then head over to VT to conduct the check. I have heard conflicting rationale. One said that it prevents one guy from getting entangled in an ugly situation, another cited the need to get it done faster and yet one more said that it is because of liability (i.e. two sets of eyes and ears to ensure that no one can say we didn't do our checks. Before I moved away, the PU checked one and the BU checked the other. if you had three man working, the BUs handled the chores. It's not that I mind, heck my season gets underway in a couple days, but it is different.

Is this the way your association/league/group handles the pregame equipment check? Any problems with a pregame equipment removal that necessitated this mechanic for you?

Thank you!

yawetag Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 742084)
Is this the way your association/league/group handles the pregame equipment check? Any problems with a pregame equipment removal that necessitated this mechanic for you?

Yes, for two reasons: 1) You have an extra set of eyes for any questions; 2) You look like a team by working together.

Simply The Best Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 742084)
Our state requires that umpires check bats and hats together. In other words, both umpires check HT and then head over to VT to conduct the check. I have heard conflicting rationale. One said that it prevents one guy from getting entangled in an ugly situation, another cited the need to get it done faster and yet one more said that it is because of liability (i.e. two sets of eyes and ears to ensure that no one can say we didn't do our checks.

It is all about liability since pre game checks are a complete and total ruse.
Quote:

I teach go through with the association mandated ritual then get on to tasks and duties that are of real importance.

Simply The Best Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 742019)
I have allowed a head coach to send his assistant due to a radio station broadcasting the game wanted to interview the coach at 10 mins til. I make sure he tells me that his team is legally and properly equipped and sportsmanship is a priority.

Association mandated? Because if not, it is a waste of time asking these questions.
Quote:

I have had more jewelry warnings this year. What's up with that?
Gold has escalated in value. :p