The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

MLB style shirts

I've been away from U.S. baseball for a while and am restocking my gear and uniforms now. The new black shirts that are being worn by MLB umpires are out and the few preseason games I have seen clips of show them being worn. They are mostly black with white piping on the side and a small detail at the sleeve.

I am not one of those umpires who needs to have the newest stuff each year - my gear is an investment that lasts a while. I do not want to get several shirts now and see them obsolete in a year. I began umpiring in Elbeco shirts and saw the switch happen faster than many of us figured it would. NCAA changed almost immediately and then the local ball followed in what seemed like a sprint to look more professional.

Is anyone planning to use the new light blue or black shirts this season? Did your organization switch over or is it just personal preference? Do you think that they will be the standard next year? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I've been away from U.S. baseball for a while and am restocking my gear and uniforms now. The new black shirts that are being worn by MLB umpires are out and the few preseason games I have seen clips of show them being worn. They are mostly black with white piping on the side and a small detail at the sleeve.

I am not one of those umpires who needs to have the newest stuff each year - my gear is an investment that lasts a while. I do not want to get several shirts now and see them obsolete in a year. I began umpiring in Elbeco shirts and saw the switch happen faster than many of us figured it would. NCAA changed almost immediately and then the local ball followed in what seemed like a sprint to look more professional.

Is anyone planning to use the new light blue or black shirts this season? Did your organization switch over or is it just personal preference? Do you think that they will be the standard next year? Thanks for your thoughts.
The shirts were out last year, and very few (around here at least) used them. I don't see a groundswell of support for them this year, either.

By next year? Who knows.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The shirts were out last year, and very few (around here at least) used them. I don't see a groundswell of support for them this year, either.

By next year? Who knows.
I think they're fugly. JMO. :shrug:
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Most folks think they're awful. I haven't seen one in use, aside from on MLB games.

I wouldn't buy one.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

They'l be with us for awhile.

The fashion philosophy being implemented is to reduce the amount or adornment (trim) on umpire shirts and jackets and make the umpire, visually, more a part of the backgound.

I doubt if that will change soon.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think that the majestic shirts will be the standard next year. I also wore the majestic jacket this weekend in the cold, 30's and 40's and in the rain, it was awesome. I would have paid double for it it worked so well. I stayed warm and dry, something previous jackets lacked. Have a great season.

Edit: I am sorry that you midwest and northeast guys have to deal with this weather all the time. When I was putting on all those layers this weekend, I kept saying to myself, at least I don't have to do this until may like some guys.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 01:30am
In Time Out

Quote:

We have an association rule which allows new unis only between partners who have been assigned together for a season. If you are floating, then there are guidelines on what you can wear. Given that these guidelines are broad (several colors for shirts, heather pants, association hats, etc), old gear is always acceptable as is new gear as long as you match up with your partner(s).

Several partners have chosen the new light blue due to the heat and sun coming soon. The new black for night games.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
State association mandates Navy for all HS games. The light blues I have only get out for summer ball, day games mostly, when it is warm/hot. I have one Cream, same thing, hot day game in summer. I don't have a black. For night games in summer I can go Navy.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Mike,

I haven't seen anyone around here (also NW suburbs of Chicago) wear the new style MLB shirts at any level (HS, College, Travel/Rec ball).

In Illinois, the IHSA has decided to allow "any color" shirt, as long as you match your partner.

The biggest "trend" I'm seeing is with pants, moving away from heather to "charcoal", with the Honigs poly-wools emerging as the "go to" color for serious umpires.

JM