Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Maybe, but the commute is a b!tch.

Working remotely is a must.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then again there are many officials that do not claim their money, so I would see your point.

At the Senate confirmation hearings, it was revealed that Geithner had not paid $35,000 in self-employment taxes for the years 2001–2004.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I'm biased, but why wouldn't you want to live in San Diego?
I lived there for over 6 years. Have always regretted moving back to the midwest. Every part of the country has its pros and cons, but there are a lot of great reasons to live in San Diego. Sure would be nice to umpire in weather that is 76 degrees and sunny nearly every day, vice the 90 degree and up high humidity days here in Iowa.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You could pick up a different sport for the fall / winter. I find it keeps me "fresher" for spring / summer baseball than when I also did fall baseball.
Be careful what you wish for! I did that with football and totally fell in love with it. So instead of being a "Baseball guy who also does football," I am now a "Football guy who also does baseball." It's where I belong
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Jeff:

Your post doesn't really make sense.

How could you jump to a conclusion that because something is considered a hobby you wouldn't pay taxes?

I have paid taxes on all my "hobby money" for the last 41 years. I paid taxes on Baseball Umpiring, Basketball Officiating, caddying, and now my new hobby.

I really don't even get your post to be honest.

T
Your point is absolutely true. If there is any documentation regarding the "hobby money", (1099, W2, etc.) and it is not reported, it will start raising flags. If someone gets audited and it is determined that any of the past three years worth of returns had omitted income, then the previous seven years can be investigated. They won't (likely) drill you for missing a couple hundred dollars worth of 1099's. Guys working strictly seasonally, who are almost exclusively paid in cash with no or few records, are often told by their tax pro's to just not worry about it. But when records are made that link your SSN to your work, it's a good idea to just suck it up and report your income. You can do it on Schedule C, and keep track of your expenses so that you can deduct a lot of your business expenses.