The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 18, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Moving Up

An official emailed me about moving up and I figure his question can be better answered on the forum. Any advice for him?

Here is his inquiry:

I have never really looked into moving up in the officiating ranks because of family, etc. but if I wanted to do that what route would you suggest I take. My goal obviously would be eventually to get to the men's D1 level but I know there is a process and a lot of competition. I have been a basketball official for 20 years and I am 38 years old. I have been exclusive to Boys varsity for over 10 years and my ratings under the Illinois High School Association's rating system is in the 98th percentile of all officials in the state of Illinois. Thanks.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Go to camps, go to camps, and after that go to camps. That's the only way anyone is going to get into the college ranks. If anyone has made it into the
D2 and D1 ranks without going to a camp let me know how you did it. It woudl save some money. You have to get your name out there. Go to camps, get to know the clinicians and get to know a copule of them really well and let them kind of guide you along the way. Your going to go to camp and the first thing I will say is you must look the part. Once your in the looking the part doesn't matter, just have to tug on your pants all the time Some can be costly, exspecially to a guy who has a family with little ones. Kind of hard to go to a 5 camps in the summer and spend 2 grand, explain that to the mrs.

I'm a young officials who is breaking into the ranks and I go to camps knowing that I have to do something to stand out above the rest of the officials. At the big camps, every single person can ref their a$$ off, you have to have something that makes you stand out.

Another thing: I'm sure some of your fellow officials you do high school ball with also do some college ball, ask them what it takes.

Best of luck!!!
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja

...My goal obviously would be eventually to get to the men's D1 level ...
Obviously your friend doesn't read this forum.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 07:41am
Do not give a damn!!

I can only say one thing for sure. Division 1 college assignors do not give a damn what you do in HS or what your ratings are.

To better your chances to work D1, you better have some experience at the lower level college ranks. It is not a guarantee, but people will ask you what other levels you do before they hire you. And if you have no experience you are competing against other officials that likely have extensive lower level college experience.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Obviously your friend doesn't read this forum.
I received the inquiry from someone who I don't know but who is on a mailing list that I maintain. I'll point him to the forum to take a look at the responses and hopefully come on board.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:54am
In Memoriam

Hell, all he has to do is move to SoCal. He'll do 1000 games a year and be a D1 official by his fourth year.

Location, location, location.......
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I can only say one thing for sure. Division 1 college assignors do not give a damn what you do in HS or what your ratings are.

To better your chances to work D1, you better have some experience at the lower level college ranks. It is not a guarantee, but people will ask you what other levels you do before they hire you. And if you have no experience you are competing against other officials that likely have extensive lower level college experience.

Peace
Ive been to a bunch and every one of them ask on paper about your experience. If all you have to write down is HS varsity, you better be at a JUCO camp or NAIA camp.