The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

4 Balks in 1 at bat

Tonite, game 2 WS, intentional walk to I can't remember who and DVR messed up. Catcher is well outside before release of pitch. Anyway, it wasn't called and it shouldn't be called.
Point being; Don't be looking for that nitpick.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.
It's the 234 (or whatever) "rules in error" in JEA.

iirc, this particular rule (a) was written when the catcher's box was formed by the foul lines extended, so was much bigger than it is today, (b) is read as "in the catcher's box when F1 commits to pitch"
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 08:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Tonite, game 2 WS, intentional walk to I can't remember who and DVR messed up. Catcher is well outside before release of pitch. Anyway, it wasn't called and it shouldn't be called.
Point being; Don't be looking for that nitpick.
Who cares about the release of the ball? This has *always* been interpreted as "when the pitcher commits to pitch" which is well before the release of the ball.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1 is wearing a 2 tone glove(OBR). Are you going to call time and make him change it? There are several technicallity's most of us ignore. Of course if the other team complains, you have to do something.
"Don't look for trouble"
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You mean like forcing a runner to retouch a base after a foul ball? It's in the rules, but it's not something anyone enforces as long as the runner returns to the vicinity of the base.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Very appropriate moniker.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have to actually touch 2nd base when turning a double play That one is usually ignored.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
You have to actually touch 2nd base when turning a double play That one is usually ignored.
Not in my games.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Very appropriate moniker.
OK - I appreciate the responses and perhaps my initial post was a little too officious. However, the BS in my "moniker" are my first and last name initials. My Irish mother is very fond of that name (and initials). So although I think its just silly when you make comments like this, she may feel different
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK - I appreciate the responses and perhaps my initial post was a little too officious. However, the BS in my "moniker" are my first and last name initials. My Irish mother is very fond of that name (and initials). So although I think its just silly when you make comments like this, she may feel different
If she read your post, she probably would.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.
I do. Learned from experience in a bad-blood game.

It's much easier to toss a pitcher for throwing at the next batter instead of tossing a pitcher and the batter-runner who got pegged rounding second, while dealing with the ****storm of whether a runner would be allowed to take his place to complete his run around the bases.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I do. Learned from experience in a bad-blood game.

It's much easier to toss a pitcher for throwing at the next batter instead of tossing a pitcher and the batter-runner who got pegged rounding second, while dealing with the ****storm of whether a runner would be allowed to take his place to complete his run around the bases.
You have actually seen this happen? What league/age/country?
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Rule?