The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   4 Balks in 1 at bat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/59576-4-balks-1-bat.html)

umpjim Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:39pm

4 Balks in 1 at bat
 
Tonite, game 2 WS, intentional walk to I can't remember who and DVR messed up. Catcher is well outside before release of pitch. Anyway, it wasn't called and it shouldn't be called.
Point being; Don't be looking for that nitpick.

BSUmp16 Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:58am

Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

It's the 234 (or whatever) "rules in error" in JEA.

iirc, this particular rule (a) was written when the catcher's box was formed by the foul lines extended, so was much bigger than it is today, (b) is read as "in the catcher's box when F1 commits to pitch"

Rich Fri Oct 29, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 698715)
Tonite, game 2 WS, intentional walk to I can't remember who and DVR messed up. Catcher is well outside before release of pitch. Anyway, it wasn't called and it shouldn't be called.
Point being; Don't be looking for that nitpick.

Who cares about the release of the ball? This has *always* been interpreted as "when the pitcher commits to pitch" which is well before the release of the ball.

JR12 Fri Oct 29, 2010 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

F1 is wearing a 2 tone glove(OBR). Are you going to call time and make him change it? There are several technicallity's most of us ignore. Of course if the other team complains, you have to do something.
"Don't look for trouble"

Rich Fri Oct 29, 2010 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

You mean like forcing a runner to retouch a base after a foul ball? It's in the rules, but it's not something anyone enforces as long as the runner returns to the vicinity of the base.

MrUmpire Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.


Very appropriate moniker.

JR12 Fri Oct 29, 2010 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

rbmartin Fri Oct 29, 2010 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698728)
Just out of curiousity - Can you give me a list of other rules that should be ignored. I need to know so that no one can say I'm "nitpicking" by enforcing the rules.

You have to actually touch 2nd base when turning a double play;) That one is usually ignored.

dash_riprock Fri Oct 29, 2010 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 698856)
You have to actually touch 2nd base when turning a double play;) That one is usually ignored.

Not in my games.

BSUmp16 Fri Oct 29, 2010 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 698772)
Very appropriate moniker.

OK - I appreciate the responses and perhaps my initial post was a little too officious. :o However, the BS in my "moniker" are my first and last name initials. My Irish mother is very fond of that name (and initials). So although I think its just silly when you make comments like this, she may feel different:)

MrUmpire Fri Oct 29, 2010 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSUmp16 (Post 698881)
OK - I appreciate the responses and perhaps my initial post was a little too officious. :o However, the BS in my "moniker" are my first and last name initials. My Irish mother is very fond of that name (and initials). So although I think its just silly when you make comments like this, she may feel different:)

If she read your post, she probably would.

Matt Fri Oct 29, 2010 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 698833)
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

I do. Learned from experience in a bad-blood game.

It's much easier to toss a pitcher for throwing at the next batter instead of tossing a pitcher and the batter-runner who got pegged rounding second, while dealing with the ****storm of whether a runner would be allowed to take his place to complete his run around the bases.

DG Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 698886)
I do. Learned from experience in a bad-blood game.

It's much easier to toss a pitcher for throwing at the next batter instead of tossing a pitcher and the batter-runner who got pegged rounding second, while dealing with the ****storm of whether a runner would be allowed to take his place to complete his run around the bases.

You have actually seen this happen? What league/age/country?

DG Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 698833)
Following a HR, don't give F1 a new ball until the BR touches home plate. Does anybody follow this. I give him a ball, so he can rub it, get on the hill and get ready to pitch to the next batter.

Rule?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1