The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

As an umpire who has just completed his rookie season, I have a question for some of the veteran umpires. Not that I'm looking for this to happen right away, but I was looking for some tips on accumulating votes for the state tournament. I'm not sure how other states select thier sectional/district/regional/state tournament umpires, but here in Ohio, votes are submitted throughout the year by varsity head coaches with their recomendations for tournament umpires. I've worked with one guy who gave each coach a business card before the game so they knew his name. Is this appropriate? Throughout my first season, I felt like I accomplished quite a bit by being seen at the Junior High and Junior Varsity level and then being asked to do a few Varsity games and even a Legion DH. But the situation I've run into is that the coaches don't remember my name. Does anyone have tips for a youngster?
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

You just finished you rookie season, and you're wondering how to "kiss-up" to coaches to get state playoff games. Back off a bit, and pay your dues. Who assigns your games? Don't they submit names to the school ADs? Are your game checks made out, "To whom it may concern"?

If the coaches make recommendations as to who works post-season games, that's a horrible system. The associations I belonged to rate the umpires. In the first few rounds of the playoffs, the association assignor assigns the games from a list given to him/her by the BOD. When it gets to quarter finals, the local state office assigns out-of-area officials from the associations' lists of eligible officials. Coaches and ADs have no say-so in the assigning.

Maybe, in Ohio, you should put your name on the back of your uniform shirt.

Bob
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

You ask for tips:

1) Work the games you are assigned and worry about working them and NOT what people think. Do a good job EVERY time.

2) Pay for and attend a few clinics. Now, they don't have to be by MLB umpires but I think they should be better than "Eldon's Truck Driving, Brain Surgery and Umpirin' School".

3) Get a full varsity schedule and have your association evaluate you.

4) Do a diary of every game and grade yourself. AND BE TOUGH ON YOURSELF. See where you can improve (if that is possible).

5) Learn to be humble. This old game has ways to show young'ens who's really the boss.

And last, learn patience grasshopper! Your time will come when all of the vets are dead.

Edited since "after further reveiw" I should have let the original person's post speak for itself.

[Edited by Tim C on Oct 5th, 2002 at 11:15 AM]
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Buckeye12,

I too am a rookie and just want you to know that I admire your ambition. If you aim for nothing you're sure to achieve it everytime. I'm sure (or at least I hope I'm sure) these guys didn't mean to come across so harsh. Don't get discouraged and don't let anyone water down your fire. Take care and keep call'em like you see'm.

In Christ,

Pastor Charlie
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ahh...what a plesant board to ask for help on. But, no discouragement here. Thank you Pastor Charlie for backin' me on this one. I live by your words exactly..."If you aim for nothin you're sure to achieve it.." So let me get this straight...the vets incourage young umpires to go out to the field, and only umpire for today, just put your time in, and don't look for a future. Doesn't every umpire dream of improving themselves and making it to a higher level. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I doubt it. I feel like I'm in a prime position to be a beginning umpire. I'm a college student with very few family and work obligations. All I want to do is take full advantage of the free time I now have because I do realize it doesn't last forever. I do work my a$$ off everytime I'm on the field. I've even been told by other umpires "don't wear yourself out" just because I would sprint to follow proper mechanics and gain the best possible position. So, the way I look at things now is why not try my absolute hardest to work my way up the "ladder" as fast as I can so when my free time begins to disappear, I know that I've worked very hard to get where I'm at. I believe that going out "just to umpire today's game and put my time in" would be a very innefficient way of using the time I have available to me now. So, if there's any other criticizm out there...bring it. But, like my original subject line said...I would like any ADVICE from a veteran umpire.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Buckeye12

Quit your whinning and lisen for a second.

You got EXACTLY what you deserved. Read your original post.

You say you want to work playoffs and how can you get them to remember your name.

What we are telling you is "learn the craft and you will advance."

You are going to find a lot worse a$$hole$ then me when you start working ball that counts. You better be able to handle ME before you get chewed up by a good high School coach.

You have no idea the sublties that it takes to go from being a first year JV umpire to working varsity baseball. And it is even a longer leap to playoff quality umpiring.

What part of the FIVE pieces advice I gave you didn't you like . . . which ones weren't REAL advice from veteran.

I all ready know more about you as an umpire than you think by reading just these two posts.

You want to advance . . . Skip the first three paragraphs of my original post and READ the five clues I left you.

You can take umbrage at my style BUT the advice I gave is solid.

[Edited by Tim C on Oct 4th, 2002 at 07:53 PM]
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Buckeye,

Wether you want to believe it or not, TC has good points. Well at least 5 of them that we know about. Keep working hard. Officiating can be a nasty business when it comes to working up the ladder. Just as you have to be tough during the games, you have to be tougher to get the good one's.

We have the "good ole boy" network around here that dishes out the post season games, so it is rare that our association gets a game. Yes, I said Association. Grin and bear. Keep working hard on the field and behind the scenes to get a fair system in place.

Good Luck

Oh, I almost forgot. When you visit this forum make sure you use your dictionary and thesarus often, their really tuff.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Buckeye:

I don't know how your state (Ohio?) works, but I can tell you that in sunny Florida it's hard to determine whose fanny to kiss.

First off, test grades come into the picture with mucho points toward your ranking. Next, compulsory as well as voluntary clinics help boost your total. Of course, the total number of varsity games helps, but then comes the kicker - SENIORITY. Guess who goes if your total is tied with Old Fred, who's been there before several times.

Read Tee's suggestions carefully before you discount them. Getting a recommendation from a High School coach sometimes involves being a "homer", which I hope you won't consider.

Become the best Umpire you can be, if those in control of the higher level assignments miss out on your talents, they will be the losers, not you.

Senior
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Buckeye,

Keep being aggressive! Expect the best and strive for the top. Don't settle for "paying your dues" if you think you are ready.

There are many vets that can't handle the 'strap of long time veterans. Keep going on your road of desire.

Don't pay for jack. Your association, hopefully, will give you good training. Watch, look, listen. OJT will help out twice as much as paying a couple hundred $$ to listen to someone who is "certified" (by who) and have a good lunch. Check out tapes. There are some very good instructional and situational tapes at librairies and video stores.

Do what the situation dictates. Many people say "don't do that" or "do this". But unless they are in your situation, they don't know. If it takes kissing, and that is the way it is done...kiss. If it takes training...then train. Whatever it takes, do it for now to get where you want.

Tee-ball, quit giving advise and then coming back saying "we" as if everyone is agreeing with your opinion.

Dave Jenkins
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Buckeye,

Keep being aggressive! Expect the best and strive for the top. Don't settle for "paying your dues" if you think you are ready.

There are many vets that can't handle the 'strap of novices. Keep going on your road of desire.

Don't pay for jack. Your association, hopefully, will give you good training. Watch, look, listen. OJT will help out twice as much as paying a couple hundred $$ to listen to someone who is "certified" (by who) and have a good lunch. Check out tapes. There are some very good instructional and situational tapes at librairies and video stores.

Do what the situation dictates. Many people say "don't do that" or "do this". But unless they are in your situation, they don't know. If it takes kissing, and that is the way it is done...kiss. If it takes training...then train. Whatever it takes, do it for now to get where you want.

Tee-ball, quit giving advise and then coming back saying "we" as if everyone is agreeing with your opinion.

Dave Jenkins
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile C.O.D. FOR PAYING YOUR DUES

Buckeye12, It's good to dream about working the playoffs I felt the same way you did but after five years you realize it's not hard to the easy games, but when two teams take the field that dislike each other, the people skills come into play this takes years to get to that level, to work with two
coaches who live and breath fire with the rules and who will test you on re-entry, d-h, sub's, batting O/O order and every trick you have not even seen yet, be Thankful you are not doing these games yet. screw the pooch once and your marked for life, most varsity coaches can quote the rule verse and section, do you really want to out there with them, after your second working you will start to realize exactly what you don't know, these coach's will exploit your shortcomming's to no end and this could cut kill or cut off the rung's of the ladder above you, let your assignor give you game's that he think's YOU can handle, I go to camp's and the like going now towards six year's of really doing ball I believe it takes 7 to 8 years to be really good H.S varsity umpire, I have over 25 yr.s doing some type of officiating ice hockey, baseball, softball, don't rush your ruin the good work you started to show this year, as you grow so will the quality of the games you work will grow did you get the toughest game on the schedule or just a little game between ywo old coaches who are best buddies, think
work and learn, relax enjoy it will come, invest in a couple of camp's that's great advice. pay your dues,

mac
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Buckeye:

1. Work all the games you can get.

2. Study the rule book(s) constantly.

3. Work all the games you can get.

4. Study mechanics constantly.

5. Work all the games you can get.

6. Attend reputable clinics and camps.

7. Work all the games you can get.

8. Come back and see us in another two years.

GB
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Buckeye12

As an umpire who has just completed his rookie season, I have a question for some of the veteran umpires. Not that I'm looking for this to happen right away, but I was looking for some tips on accumulating votes for the state tournament. I'm not sure how other states select thier sectional/district/regional/state tournament umpires, but here in Ohio, votes are submitted throughout the year by varsity head coaches with their recomendations for tournament umpires. I've worked with one guy who gave each coach a business card before the game so they knew his name. Is this appropriate? Throughout my first season, I felt like I accomplished quite a bit by being seen at the Junior High and Junior Varsity level and then being asked to do a few Varsity games and even a Legion DH. But the situation I've run into is that the coaches don't remember my name. Does anyone have tips for a youngster?

First off as others mentioned you have to pay your dues

This is only your first year and while I admire your ambition you have to wait your turn

In my area (NY), one is on what they call probation their first year unless you are an umpire who moves into the area with credentials

In your first year you get modified games and maybe a JV game or two. You are then evaluated, receive a rating and your next year or 2 one starts getting JV games.

In your third year, as long as your rating is good you start getting varsity Games etc.

As far as coaches remebering your name that comes with time. At the plate conferences we greet the coaches ie; I'm Pete Booth and this my partner Sam Jones etc.

As you do more and more games, the coaches will get to know who you are. I don't recommend hanging around after games simply to suck up to coaches which some umpires do, thinking this is their shot and getting playoff games. More often than not this strategy backfires.

In Summary, do your job first meaning attend the appropriate meetings and clinics. Do as many games as you can and the "other" stuff will take care of itself.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Addendum

Buckeye:

You might want to be careful about coaches remembering your name. In my experience that is not always a good thing.

Most coaches more clearly remember the names of those umpires they don't wish to see again. As an assignor I hear the following two comments most often:

1. I can't believe you assigned Joe Blow to me again. Are you nuts? I'll never forget that call he blew last year.

2. Hey Garth, why don't you assign me that kid I had a couple of weeks ago? You know, what's-his-name, the tall skinny kid who looks like a pro. He did a great job. I hardly knew he was there.

Trust me. I knew who he was talking about. And when the coaches ask for or suggest umpires for play-off games or tournaments, I will know who they mean when they want "the red headed guy who made that great call on the bases."

And they'll know who they mean when they say, "Don't use John Smith, he's never in the right place to make a call."

I don't think my experience is unique. You might check with His Holiness to see if his is similar.

GB

Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all you guys with the constructive criticizm. I now feel like I am on the right track. I study my rule/mechanics book, and "pick the minds" of veteran umpires I know, and try to work as many games as possible. This winter, I plan on dishing out a couple hunderd dollars for a clinic and am planning on "re-taking" our state certification class just to sharpen my rules knowlegde. Thanks again for your help.