The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

7.08 violation?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | HOU@PHI: Manuel is ejected for disputing bunt single - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

I assume you mean 7.08(a)(1) (running out of his baseline to avoid a tag).

Close, but I think the umpire got it right. As the tag attempt starts, the runner's right foot is already near the foul portion of the running lane (the running lane is NOT relevant for this play -- I mention it only for a reference for the foot). It never gets too far onto the grass.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

If you're asking about 7.08(a)(1), the answer is, no.

Just because the fielder had to move more than 3 feet to get to the runner, it doesn't follow that the runner moved more than 3 feet out of his baseline.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

I agree with both of you. Bourn didn't go more than 3 feet outside his line. It was close, but I agree with Gibson. I also laughed at the talking heads wanting Gibson to go to the PU. Should he have, maybe. Gibson was closer to the play though. I think he decided to live or die with the call. That is his prerogative.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
I also laughed at the talking heads wanting Gibson to go to the PU. Should he have, maybe.
No, he should not have. It was his call, he got a great look, and he made the right call. No reason to consult.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:27am
Stop staring at me swan.

There's no way he was outside of 3 feet once there was a play attempt on him. He started outside all he did was dodge the play attempt. Good call. No reason to ask for help there.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

7.08(a)(1) in part says:

A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely

So that means from the time Howard reached for him and he dodged to avoid it there is a straight line established from that point to the base. If he goes 3 feet outside of that line he would be out. Is that correct?
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
7.08(a)(1) in part says:

A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely

So that means from the time Howard reached for him and he dodged to avoid it there is a straight line established from that point to the base. If he goes 3 feet outside of that line he would be out. Is that correct?
yes
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 01:43pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
7.08(a)(1) in part says:

Well said. Memorize that, because that point right there busts the misunderstood "he's out of the baseline myth" rule.

I had a play very similar to this just this past weekend. After I stated something like this (not quite as good) but with the same content, the coach could only say in a voice that only he and I could hear "well, I think you should still get your eyes checked" and we both walked away.

I grinned and continued to umpire the game.