The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a Mens league recently where the players seemed adept at stepping into the FT lane just before the FT hit the rim. I was having a real hard time determining when/if they violated because it was a split second difference.

I'm starting to think going on the release would be a lot easier to observe.

Does any one have any tips/techniques they use to observe this FT lane activity accurately?

Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Call the violation on a couple of the most border-line ones, and they won't do it any more and it won't matter!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Both situattions would be difficult to see when we are talking about split-seconds. The decision you have to make is whether or not they left their spots prior to the ball touching the rim. If you can't be sure because it is so close, hold your whistle and ignore it.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Call the violation on a couple of the most border-line ones, and they won't do it any more and it won't matter!
If it is border line and you aren't sure - don't ever call it. Call what you see, not what you think you might have seen (probably). If it is truly that close, then credit them with a good play and move on.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
When one clearly beats everyone else, then I would make the call. I would call a few people early in the game if you you wish to establish the fact they are going in too fast.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
When one clearly beats everyone else, then I would make the call. I would call a few people early in the game if you you wish to establish the fact they are going in too fast.
Is this true even if you don't know that a player left early? Are you assuming that the player violated just because they beat everyone by a mile, even if you aren't sure they left early? Or are you saying call this when you know you saw it?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

If the gym is quiet enough, use your ears: did they move before you heard the "clink"?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
I worked a Mens league recently where the players seemed adept at stepping into the FT lane just before the FT hit the rim. I was having a real hard time determining when/if they violated because it was a split second difference.

I'm starting to think going on the release would be a lot easier to observe.

Does any one have any tips/techniques they use to observe this FT lane activity accurately?
9-1-9 Should help you.
No legs breaking the vertical plan of the outside edge of the marked lane space should keep everyone legal.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Is this true even if you don't know that a player left early? Are you assuming that the player violated just because they beat everyone by a mile, even if you aren't sure they left early? Or are you saying call this when you know you saw it?
If someone wins by a mile 99% of the time he was in the lane before it hit the rim. I usually see this with that guy assign to box out the shooter.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Hawks Coach, While your point is well taken, please remember that this question sought advice for MENS LEAGUE. Not HS or MS ball. I believe that we should call this a bit differently. The players are much bigger and rougher and rebounding on missed free throws is one of the biggest contact situations. In HS you have game management people, coaches, and sometimes police in the gym to help control the players tempers. In Mens Rec league, you do this yourself or you have a fight!
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics?

Has anyone here adopted the alternative (College?) mechanic of responsibility for players vs. the NFHS mechanic? By that I mean, the lead is responsible for all on his/her side of the lane and the trail for their side as well as the shooter versus the NFHS mechanic of first on your side and lowest/highest 3 on the opposite side. Was at a NFHS clinic where that's what they said this would change in the very near future.

Mregor
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Mechanics?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Has anyone here adopted the alternative (College?) mechanic of responsibility for players vs. the NFHS mechanic? Was at a NFHS clinic where that's what they said this would change in the very near future.
I do this only very rarely, and only if my partner is a college official and he suggests it. I don't like to mix my HS and college mechanics. The only college mechanic that I implement in my HS games is going to the low blocks during TOs. And I only do that b/c the cheerleaders inevitably want to use the center of the floor.

However, coverage on FTs is one that the Fed should change to match the college coverage.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Mechanics?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Has anyone here adopted the alternative (College?) mechanic of responsibility for players vs. the NFHS mechanic? Was at a NFHS clinic where that's what they said this would change in the very near future.
I do this only very rarely, and only if my partner is a college official and he suggests it. I don't like to mix my HS and college mechanics. The only college mechanic that I implement in my HS games is going to the low blocks during TOs. And I only do that b/c the cheerleaders inevitably want to use the center of the floor.

However, coverage on FTs is one that the Fed should change to match the college coverage.

Chuck
I used to go to the low blocks on a full until this was just highlighted in the state newsletter. They only want Federation mechanics and since they are sending out the evaluators unanounced, I better do it or I can kiss the T-Ment Goodbye. It's easier for the resuming play procedure, but is a little awkward IMO to stand on the DL.

Mregor
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just to reiterate, I only go to the low blocks when there are cheerleaders using the center of court. I hate standing at midcourt and just staring at the cheerleaders. Makes me feel like I'm in the middle of the freakin' routine.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Just to reiterate, I only go to the low blocks when there are cheerleaders using the center of court. I hate standing at midcourt and just staring at the cheerleaders. Makes me feel like I'm in the middle of the freakin' routine.

Chuck
No, Chuck. For the last time, the cheerleaders are not putting on a show for you.

I hadn't heard anything about a "watch your own side" mechanic, but I don't know how much I would like this. It's much easier (for me, at least) to see movement from someone opposite than the rebounder on my side.