The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Batter/Runner Int.

Situation:

Bases loaded, no outs. Ground ball to third baseman who steps on third then throws to first. His throw is up the line and the batter/runner is called out for interfering with the throw.

Ruling?
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Situation:

Bases loaded, no outs. Ground ball to third baseman who steps on third then throws to first. His throw is up the line and the batter/runner is called out for interfering with the throw.

Ruling?
BR out for INT. R3 returns to 3B, R2 is out on the force, R1 returns to 1B. Next batter, 2 outs.

You might quibble about TOI, but if the play develops fast enough to involve the BR at 1B, I'm not letting R3 score. If R1 was going on the pitch (maybe on a 3-2 count) he might get to stay at 2B.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:16am

mb:

Is there any situation where F3 can be called for OBS in this scenario? (i.e.: the throw is clearly beyond the reach of F3 and he impedes the BR from reach 1B or advancing to 2B.)
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Situation:

Ruling?
It was probably a bad one. Bad throw pulls the fielder into the runner's path and it's the runner's fault?
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

"You might quibble about TOI . . ."

I don't think so. INT by BR before reaching 1B returns runners TOP, except in that rare case of the intervening play at home.

For example, with 1 out, R3 scores on a suicide squeeze, but BR runs outside the lane and is hit by F2's throw to F3. BR out, R3 returns, even though he crossed the plate well before the INT.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Unless he violates the following:

Quote:
Rule 6.05(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire's judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three foot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;
Off the top of my head, this would be the only scenario which comes to mind where I have the Batter/runner being called out.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It was probably a bad one. Bad throw pulls the fielder into the runner's path and it's the runner's fault?
Not disputing that at all. Personally, I would not make this call but it did happen and there was a dispute on where to put the runners.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Unless he violates the following:

Rule 6.05(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire's judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three foot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Off the top of my head, this would be the only scenario which comes to mind where I have the Batter/runner being called out.
ADD THE COMMENT:

The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach, or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. Running lane interference is almost always from F2, and rarely from F1. Not sure I've ever seen or considered it called from 3rd base. BR must have been WAY inside the baseline for this call to be made.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Wow. Running lane interference is almost always from F2, and rarely from F1. Not sure I've ever seen or considered it called from 3rd base. BR must have been WAY inside the baseline for this call to be made.
Yeah. Usually F2, sometimes F1, once in a blue moon from F5 on a bunt, but I have personally NEVER seen runner interference on a throw to first from F5 from the vicinity of 3rd base (as the OP described).
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think the OP is talking about RLI. I read it as garden-variety thrown ball INT.

I would not call RLI on a play from F5 involving contact between F3 and BR -- the BR is allowed to be in fair territory that close to the base.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
mb:

Is there any situation where F3 can be called for OBS in this scenario? (i.e.: the throw is clearly beyond the reach of F3 and he impedes the BR from reach 1B or advancing to 2B.)
If F3 is playing the throw near the base and contacts the BR, that's not OBS in any code. Collisions that involve legal contact both ways are possible when the ball, fielder, and runner arrive at the same time at a base.

If the throw is nowhere near the base and F3 hinders the BR on his way to fetch the ball, that would likely be OBS.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If F3 is playing the throw near the base and contacts the BR, that's not OBS in any code.
It could be, in FED.

And, to the OP, maybe (and I'm just exploring the possible), BR moved out of his path to get in the way of the throw, or stuck his arm out, or swiped at F3 causing him to miss the ball, ...

It doesn't have to be running-lane interference.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't think the OP is talking about RLI. I read it as garden-variety thrown ball INT.

I would not call RLI on a play from F5 involving contact between F3 and BR -- the BR is allowed to be in fair territory that close to the base.
I'm wondering now how you're envisioning this play if you've got garden-variety thrown ball INT. Pegging the batter runner in the back is not interference, so what are you imagining on this play.

The reason I assumed RLI was this " His throw is up the line and the batter/runner is called out for interfering with the throw." I'm seeing up the line and BR being way into the infield for this to be a valid INT.

I think it likely the bad call was the INT itself! Can't see this really happening.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:

I think it likely the bad call was the INT itself! Can't see this really happening.
mbcrowder,

You have no basis (other than your own, apparently limited, imagination) for making this judgement.

More to the point, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the question posed in the OP.

The question was if there WERE interference (suspend all disbelief as to whether or not this was a "correct" call), what would the proper ruling be?

To argue whether or not this actually WAS interference is a complete waste of time, because there was not sufficient information supplied to determine whether it properly was or wasn't - so all you can do is engage in baseless speculation on that question.

However, there was (nearly) sufficient information to discuss the actual question asked.

In FED, the "basic" rule (to which there ARE a couple of exceptions) is that runners return to the base occupied at the TOI. So, in a FED game, if the R3 had scored at the time the interference occurred, his run WOULD score (unless the interference were the 3rd out of the half inning).

In OBR, if the interference occurs before the BR has reached 1B, any remainng runners return to their TOP base. UNLESS there was an "intervening play" by the defense that occurred between the TOP and TOI. In which case, runners also return to their TOI base.

Now greymule was the first person on this thread to mention the "intervening play" exception under OBR. He suggests that it only applies if the "intervening play" occurred at home/on a runner attempting to score.

While EVERY published case play touching on the question in the official/authoritative interpretation manuals does, in fact, involve a play at HP - without exception, NONE of them explicitly states that the intervening play MUST occur at home for the exception to apply - again without exception.

So, I am unsure whether the play on R2 at 3B would "count" as an intervening play under OBR rules. If it doesn't, I would think you would have to return the "apparently retired" R2 to 2B if you negate the R3's score and return him to 3B.

JM