The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Missed Base - Homerun

This actually happened in a state high school softball tournament game, but I am interested in how it would be ruled in baseball, both OBR and Fed.

The batter hit a homerun out of the park but, in her exuberance, missed both second and third bases. She stopped just before she touched home and ran across the pitcher's area to touch second. She then proceeded to touch third and home. Are there any appeals available for the defense whereby she would be called out?

Change the scenario to say that she missed second but did not miss third. She again stopped just before she touched home and ran across the pitcher's area to touch second. She then proceeded to touch third and home. Does the answer change?

Again, please answer for both ORB and Fed. Thanks!!!
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

In OBR, and FED, when correcting base running errors, bases must be touched in the reverse order. There is a "last time by" concept that says if a base is missed while passing it, that error is corrected if that base is subsequently touched the last time by. In this instance, the "last time by" concept does not apply since there was no effort to touch third at all and is concidered a gross miss. On a dead ball situation, although there are slight differences between FED and OBR, once a runner advances to the next base, that runner cannot legally return to correct a baserunning infraction.

In both instances, a valid appeal would be upheld at second due to the runner not correcting the error before reaching the next base during a dead ball. A valid appeal would also be upheld at third for not correctly running the bases in reverse order. The gross miss nullifies the "last time by" principle.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree on the appeals.

Dead Ball situation is different than Live Ball I think. When the ball is dead, A runner can't return to touch a missed base once she has acquired the next base. A runner is considered to have acquired the base once they pass that base even if it is not touched, so once the runner passed 3B the first time, she acquired 3B and could not return to touch 2B. Same thing on the second scenario also.

That's how I would have reasoned and ruled. Enlighten me please.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
I agree on the appeals.

Dead Ball situation is different than Live Ball I think. When the ball is dead, A runner can't return to touch a missed base once she has acquired the next base. A runner is considered to have acquired the base once they pass that base even if it is not touched, so once the runner passed 3B the first time, she acquired 3B and could not return to touch 2B. Same thing on the second scenario also.

That's how I would have reasoned and ruled. Enlighten me please.
In FED you can't return if you are at/beyond the next base from your last legally touched base at the time the ball went dead.

In OBR you cannot return if you touch the next base beyond where you physically were after the ball went dead.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In FED you can't return if you are at/beyond the next base from your last legally touched base at the time the ball went dead.

In OBR you cannot return if you touch the next base beyond where you physically were after the ball went dead.
Ball was dead when it left the yard.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Ball was dead when it left the yard.
I know that.

BUT txump81 said and highlighjted

A runner can't return to touch a missed base once she has acquired the next base.

And that's not necessarily true - so I posted the rules.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

So in OBR, the BR in the OP would have to touch 3B then 2B then 3B then HP and she would be OK?

In LL, according to 7.10b, the BR in the OP is just SOL. Once she passed 3B, she can't go back and touch 2B even though she hasn't touched 3B. This looks to be the same in FED rules also.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
In this instance, the "last time by" concept does not apply since there was no effort to touch third at all and is considered a gross miss.
Citation please.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
So in OBR, the BR in the OP would have to touch 3B then 2B then 3B then HP and she would be OK?

In LL, according to 7.10b, the BR in the OP is just SOL. Once she passed 3B, she can't go back and touch 2B even though she hasn't touched 3B. This looks to be the same in FED rules also.
Can't go back in either because the runner screwed up in both rule sets..

But there are differences in the rules.

Play - fly ball to deep RF. R1 goes past 2B. Fly ball is caught. F9 throws to 1B to double off R! but the ball goes out of play. At the time it went dead R1 was still past 2B.

In FED he cannot legally return to 1B because he was at/past the next base at the time the ball went dead.

In OBR he can legally return. He would only forfeit the right if he touched 3B after the ball went dead.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 08:45am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Citation please.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe "gross miss" is a J/R term.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Citation please.

Common sense and a sense of fair play. Plus it violates the spirit of the rule. You cannot cut across the field with no attempt to touch and then be legal on a subsequent touch.

I don't know if "gross miss" is a J/R term or not. When the last time by concept was put into effect, the term gross miss was used to describe situations such as this.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Can't go back in either because the runner screwed up in both rule sets..

But there are differences in the rules.

Play - fly ball to deep RF. R1 goes past 2B. Fly ball is caught. F9 throws to 1B to double off R! but the ball goes out of play. At the time it went dead R1 was still past 2B.

In FED he cannot legally return to 1B because he was at/past the next base at the time the ball went dead.

In OBR he can legally return. He would only forfeit the right if he touched 3B after the ball went dead.
Got it. I think I need to go get my Juris Doctorate to interpret all these.

I will hope it never happens and when it does I will rule to the best of my ability based off this info and then sell the h3!! out of it to the irate coach.

Honestly, I don't think a coach would know the difference. At least not the ones I have umpired for. They know the basics and only care about the advanced stuff IF it benefits them.

I'm not saying I have the attitude of I'm right and you're wrong. I always do the best I can at anything and in the heat of the moment sometimes you have a brain fart. It happens to everyone. That is why I am on here, trying to learn all the intricacies (sp?) of the rules.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Common sense and a sense of fair play. Plus it violates the spirit of the rule. You cannot cut across the field with no attempt to touch and then be legal on a subsequent touch.

I don't know if "gross miss" is a J/R term or not. When the last time by concept was put into effect, the term gross miss was used to describe situations such as this.
These expressions in my experience accompany somebody making crap up. I don't recollect "gross miss" from J/R. I'll check when I get home, but if anyone knows where that is I'd like to see it.

And nothing about cutting across the diamond violates the "spirit" of "last time by": indeed, in the OP the runner touched the base on his last time by, so he not only observed the spirit but also the letter of the rule. Cutting across the diamond does violate the "spirit" of "every time by," but that's not a rule.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I know I've seen gross miss and would have bet it was from the J/R, but all I see is "complete bypass" and "more than a body length." The BRD also uses those terms. On a quick look, I don't see the play covered in the PBUC.

My 2006 BRD also cites Play 6-4 when apparently they meant Play 5-4, a mistake that creates serious confusion.

From the 2006 BRD "ruling": "'Last time by' applies to situations where the runner could have touched the base but missed it by less than his body's length."

Last edited by greymule; Thu Jun 17, 2010 at 04:36pm.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These expressions in my experience accompany somebody making crap up. I don't recollect "gross miss" from J/R. I'll check when I get home, but if anyone knows where that is I'd like to see it.

And nothing about cutting across the diamond violates the "spirit" of "last time by": indeed, in the OP the runner touched the base on his last time by, so he not only observed the spirit but also the letter of the rule. Cutting across the diamond does violate the "spirit" of "every time by," but that's not a rule.
Contrary to your belief, it is not terminology in order to make crap up. Since the rule book contains many errors, omissions, and discrepencies, those are the guidelines that are used when determining rule interpretations. You may not like it, but that is the way it is. If you don't believe me, plunk down some cash and attend some higher education concerning baseball.