The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Protest Yanks vs Sox

So here is the situation. Josh Beckett is pitching in the bottom of the 5th (and not well, for the record). He missed his last start due to back spasms and stumbled after a pitcher earlier in the inning (it was raining here in NY). No one is warming up in the bullpen. So pitching coach John Farrell comes out to the mound, says something to Beckett, and then immediately points to the bullpen. He then turns to HP umpire Angel Campos and says something along the lines of "we gotta get a new guy in here, Beckett is hurt." Manny Delcarmen comes in and is allowed extra warmups to get loose. The trainer came out with manager Terry Francona after the change was signaled.

Delcarmen gets out of the 5th inning, and between innings Girardi goes out to protest the call with crew chief Larry Vanover.

So what do we have here gentlemen? Did Girardi wait too long to lodge his complaint? Do we have a protestable offense if he makes his case earlier?

Here is video and a recap:

Yankees protest loss to Red Sox | MLB.com: News
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I don't see how this is protestable. We're not doctors or trainers, we basically have to go with the word of the player/coach. A protest is for misinterpretation/misapplication of the rules. I don't see where the umpires did such.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump View Post
I don't see how this is protestable. We're not doctors or trainers, we basically have to go with the word of the player/coach. A protest is for misinterpretation/misapplication of the rules. I don't see where the umpires did such.
I think the Yanks are talking about the fact that the Sox signaled to the bullpen (have not heard how the bullpen knew which guy to send, as no one was warming) for a new pitcher then informed the PU that their F1 was injured.

To avoid this they should have informed the PU of the injury, and then asked for a replacement F1.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
I think the Yanks are talking about the fact that the Sox signaled to the bullpen (have not heard how the bullpen knew which guy to send, as no one was warming) for a new pitcher then informed the PU that their F1 was injured.

To avoid this they should have informed the PU of the injury, and then asked for a replacement F1.
That is my understanding as well. Since the change was signalled by the team, it should have been treated as any other pitching change (in the eyes of Joe Girardi, anyhow).
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 04:51pm

Girardi waited too long to protest, although his reasoning was correct.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it was protestable (and winnable), but not when he bothered to protest it. It had to be before the next pitch.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Coaching Visit

I believe the rule about advising the Umpire about an injury is so as to be not charged with a coaching visit.
The rule states that a pitcher may be granted more pitches in "an emergency" as deemed by the umpire. Obviously Campos ( a minor league call up) or more likely the crew chief (Larry Vanover) deemed it an emergency.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Even if the protest was made in a timely manner (it appears it wasn't), and even if the subsequent ruling was that the injury notification was not timely, it would seem to be a stretch to rule that this had an effect on the outcome of the game.

I would be very surprised if MLB rules in the Yankees favor.

What's more, Beckett missed a previous start and was put on the disabled list today. With nobody claiming Beckett was not hurt, common sense should be allowed to prevail, even if the procedure wasn't followed to the letter.

Last edited by rpumpire; Wed May 19, 2010 at 07:43pm.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

If protested I predict MLB will deny. Procedural timing issue was not correct, but MLB is not going to suggest, that a reliever coming in due to an injury is not allowed proper warmup. It was obvious to all why change was made.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post

I would be very surprised if MLB rules in the Yankees favor.
If it means they'll get to resume the game against the Red Sox and ESPN will cover it in prime time, MLB will uphold the protest and order it to be resumed because, well...it's the Yanks v. Red Sox, and as we know, MLB thinks everyone wants to watch these two teams on TV.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
If it means they'll get to resume the game against the Red Sox and ESPN will cover it in prime time, MLB will uphold the protest and order it to be resumed because, well...it's the Yanks v. Red Sox, and as we know, MLB thinks everyone wants to watch these two teams on TV.
I dunno -- MLB doesn't buy the games...