The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Anyone see the play at the plate where Tino Martinez was called out trying to score from second on a single to center? It was quite obvious that Martinez was safe yet he didn't say a word, and of course Joe Torre just sat in the dugout. Martinez's foot touched home before the tag. The catcher tagged Martinez on his left elbow. It was so obvious that the umpire missed the call I couldn't believe it. He was too far up the 1st base line, he had to lean his head to the left at the last second to avoid being totaly blocked out by the catcher, and way too close to the play. He was 2 feet behind the catcher and the replays actually showed how being so close to the play prevented him from seeing both Martinez's foot hitting the plate and the catchers tag. He was looking at the tag but couldn't see Martinez's foot on the plate because he was too close to the play.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game and went back and Tivo'ed the replay, frame by frame with my wife a couple of times. I don't think Tino got the plate with his lead foot. It looked to me like after his foot hit the catchers foot, it slide right in front of the plate without touching it. My wife thought that his toe might have caught the front corner of the plate on the first base side.

If two people watch the play frame by frame two or three times and can't agree, I think it is too close to call. (and for the record, I'm a Yankee fan)

All that being said, I agree with your comments about the umpires positioning. He seemed to close to me and should have had a better angle. He was behind the play too much, but atleast he leaned to his left to try and improve the angle. All that being said, I think he got the play right.

IMHO
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Sometimes I really feel that some of the MLB guys forget the basics or get lazy because the have reached the top. I have seen a few times where they are too close and end up missing the call because the play explodes in their face. Overall it is pretty rare tho.
Call me overly simplistic but I have a problem with an official calling safe or out from a knee. I have talked with some pros and they have given good points about the knee being a good set position but I just don't care for it personally.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.