The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Wilson Hard Shell Base Ump Cap (#A3121)‏

In a recent Referee magazine I read about the hard shell base cap for umpires now being offered by Ump-Attire. They claim it keeps your head cooler in the summer and I am very safety minded so I ordered one through Ump-Attire, the only store mentioned in the Referee article that offered it. $32.99 + S&H

NOW I have found this exact same helmet (Wilson WTA3121 ) listed as a "catchers" skull cap or base-coaches hat selling for $19.99 - $24.99 on the internet @ numerous sites. None of them over $24.99.
Wilson WTA3121 Sleek Pro Skull Cap With Bill

I emailed Ump-Attire with this information this morning. No response.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
In a recent Referee magazine I read about the hard shell base cap for umpires now being offered by Ump-Attire. They claim it keeps your head cooler in the summer and I am very safety minded so I ordered one through Ump-Attire, the only store mentioned in the Referee article that offered it. $32.99 + S&H

NOW I have found this exact same helmet (Wilson WTA3121 ) listed as a "catchers" skull cap or base-coaches hat selling for $19.99 - $24.99 on the internet @ numerous sites. None of them over $24.99.
Wilson WTA3121 Sleek Pro Skull Cap With Bill

I emailed Ump-Attire with this information this morning. No response.
You were expecting ... what?

The site says, right in the description of the item, that it is a "coach's helmet".

You were the one silly enough to buy this hideous piece of junk.

You are offended that someone sells it cheaper & you expect the vendor who promoted this flim-flam to price match?

Pullezee!
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 07:42pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Wait for a reply from their customer service. You might be surprised...but maybe not. I've had nothing but great experiences from ump-attire.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Didn't say I was offended; just trying to inform my fellow umps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
You were expecting ... what?

The site says, right in the description of the item, that it is a "coach's helmet".

You were the one silly enough to buy this hideous piece of junk.

You are offended that someone sells it cheaper & you expect the vendor who promoted this flim-flam to price match?

Pullezee!
Dude.....whatever

I doubt I am the only one to buy this "hideous piece of junk". I guess in my days on the diamond I've seen too many ambulances and emergency room visits for my liking. I guess that is why professional base coaches are now required to wear them. You know somebody could get killed, oops, that is right, somebody did lose their life!

I've had several partners express interest, especially if they are cooler during the summer. I just wanted to share the information of the cheaper price for anybody who is interested. I hope for you in the future, you never wished you were wearing it.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ump Attire prays on Little League styled umpires.

Don't be surprised when you get screwed.

T
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 08:45pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

T
Not everybody sir...but maybe that is their target market...their customer service is superb
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Tim,

Quote:

T
"preys"

JM
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 09:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Give them a call. I've had nothing but a positive experience when buying from them.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You should get a couple phiten necklaces to help your performance while umpiring.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dude.....whatever

I doubt I am the only one to buy this "hideous piece of junk". I guess in my days on the diamond I've seen too many ambulances and emergency room visits for my liking. I guess that is why professional base coaches are now required to wear them. You know somebody could get killed, oops, that is right, somebody did lose their life!

I've had several partners express interest, especially if they are cooler during the summer. I just wanted to share the information of the cheaper price for anybody who is interested. I hope for you in the future, you never wished you were wearing it.
Puuuuuuleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze! i've been umpiring for almost 30 years and I can count the ambulance calls on one hand (that includes the one for my on field heart attack). You are just a gear jockey, aren't you? I'll bet you have every piece of crap that is out there. If my partner ever put one of these "toys" on, I would send him packing!
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

T
How is this so? What specifically have they done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Puuuuuuleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze! i've been umpiring for almost 30 years and I can count the ambulance calls on one hand (that includes the one for my on field heart attack). You are just a gear jockey, aren't you? I'll bet you have every piece of crap that is out there. If my partner ever put one of these "toys" on, I would send him packing!
Not to mention the guy who was killed in the Texas League was hit in the neck, not the head, so the helmet wouldn't have done him any good.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

All Star makes one to use with your mask.

http://www.all-starsports.com/products.php?prod=655
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Hey tough guy.......I'll give you more to laugh at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

Hey buddy, here is some stuff that'll make ya' die laughing.....

I also advocate the safety base and outlaw steel spikes in high school games

I don't see the need for players to get hurt playing games when it can be prevented. Our adult softball leagues now use safety bases and made steel spikes illegal.......we do have to go to work Monday morning. Just my views.....I also wear my seat belt when I drive. Something only pussies did when I was a kid in the 60's.

Steel spikes?? Not needed. Blood on the diamond is not necessary when kids are playing the game. "Everybody raise their hands if they want to go to the emergency room to get stitches in the leg today!!" Yes, It happens, but not when it could've been prevented.

If you have a real job and pay real medical bills, you know what I am talking about. Last year, getting spiked, cost players (parents) on my team (I also coach) over $1,000.......WTF, why must this be?

If my partner ever put one of these "toys" on, I would send him packing!
I recall hearing the same thoughts expressed when the "hockey" style mask was first being used.

Gear jockey??
I finally broke down and bought my first "West Vest". Enough of those bruises, I'm get less tough as I get older.

But honestly, I tend to overheat on summer days, if this helmet helps me stay cooler, BINGO, I'm a happy camper!

Lots of Laughs.....I should be a ****ing comic!!!!
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 11:18pm

Quote:

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Tim,

"preys"

JM
You would think a confirmed agnostic would know the difference!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But honestly, I tend to overheat on summer days, if this helmet helps me stay cooler, BINGO, I'm a happy camper!
How does it keep you cooler? Does it allow more room for an ice bag?