The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Am I missing something here?

Last night in our game runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out. Batter hits a pop up between home and 1st. No communication between defense, home plate umpire calls infield fly, ball hits 8 inches fair then rolls into foul territory before being touched by catcher. Home plate ump calls batter out! When asked why he stated fair ball. When asked how, it landed in fair territory. Very frustrating!
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, and then you prostested his misapplication of the rules, right?

So what happened with the protest?
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Batter is out if FAIR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuk View Post
Last night in our game runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out. Batter hits a pop up between home and 1st. No communication between defense, home plate umpire calls infield fly, ball hits 8 inches fair then rolls into foul territory before being touched by catcher. Home plate ump calls batter out! When asked why he stated fair ball. When asked how, it landed in fair territory. Very frustrating!
This umpire is lost. This is a foul ball since it was never touched in fair territory. It would only be a infield fly rule if fair. It is just a foul ball strike.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

That close to the line it should have been called "...if fair"

It wasn't fair -
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I protested, probably a little more than I should have and a little longer than I should have. He just stood there, no comments, nothing. I pleaded with him to ask his partner for help with the rule 3 times before he finally went out. After they talked, he said the play and call stand. His partner did not help him in any way! I forgot to include, after all that, they awarded the runners second and third. Well of course the other coach lost it at that point! I know I crossed the line as far as what I said to the umpire, and should have been dumped, as well as the other coach after he said his piece as well. Just not a good night.

Last edited by mkuk; Thu May 06, 2010 at 08:33am.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just Curious

Quote:
Last night in our game.......
What level ball is this?
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

High School Soph.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
High School Soph.
Where the least experienced officials usually are assigned.

Keep your rule book handy.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
I protested, probably a little more than I should have and a little longer than I should have.
Did you inform the umpires that you intended to officially protest the game? - or did you just argue/debate/question the call?

Quote:
He just stood there, no comments, nothing. I pleaded with him to ask his partner for help with the rule 3 times before he finally went out. After they talked, he said the play and call stand. His partner did not help him in any way!
You don't know this as a fact. It's possible that the calling umpire refused to change his call after conferring with the other ump.

Quote:
I forgot to include, after all that, they awarded the runners second and third.
What was their rationale for awarding bases?

Quote:
Well of course the other coach lost it at that point! I know I crossed the line as far as what I said to the umpire, and should have been dumped, as well as the other coach after he said his piece as well. Just not a good night.
Assuming you are the manager? If true, the assistant has nothing to say. Period. As soon as the assistant got involved in the discussion you both should have been restricted to the bench. Of course, it's not likely that the umps know this rule either.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Our state does not allow protests, so that was not an issue. I have been told by other umpires that they are out there to get the calls right. Even if it means having to "eat crow". I can understand a judgment call being missed, but a blatant misinterpretation of a rule, not acceptable. The base umpire was the veteran of the two and left his partner out to dry. It is done and over with, I understand the lower level games get the less experienced, however there is still a need to be professional to know and apply the rules properly.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I protested, probably a little more than I should have and a little longer than I should have.
As Walt points out, a protest is not a matter of degree. A protest is an official lodging of a complaint that an official has misapplied the rules. The official and protesting coach should make a note of the game situation when the protest occurs, in case the protest is upheld and the game is to resume at that point on a later date.

That said, many states do not allow protests, including mine. Whatever the official says on the field, goes. That does not leave coaches without options: on the field, they can politely request that the officials confer and consult the rule book (unlikely). Afterward, they can explain to the assignor what happened and hope for a "teaching moment" between the assignor and official. In the worst cases, AD's can take a complaint to the state association.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The base umpire was the veteran of the two and left his partner out to dry.
veteran ≠ knowledgeable

veteran ≠ good
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mkuk;675893]

Quote:
The base umpire was the veteran of the two and left his partner out to dry.
From your OP

Quote:
Home plate ump calls batter out!
How did the BU leave his partner out to dry?

How do you know that the veteran did not "chew" his partner out AFTER the game away from everybody?

The PU made the call NOT the BU. When the PU did confer with his partner you do not know what was said.

It's like this.

My partner the PU calls IF and the ball lands foul. My partner also calls the batter out.

Coach comes out and questions.

My partner says "Pete would do you have"

ME: I have a foul ball

Partner: Ok Pete but I am sticking with my call

ME: End of conversation because I am NOT going to get into a pi****g match with my partner on the field for all to see.

After the game is where we would have a SERIOUS discussion.

That's the problem when a state does not have protest procedures in place.

Pete Booth
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Why did it bother you?

Quote:
He told you the truth. I suppose it was the end of your story that is frustrating.

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 07, 2010 at 08:52pm.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

For whom the bell tolls

Quote:
I protested, probably a little more than I should have and a little longer than I should have. He just stood there, no comments, nothing. I pleaded with him to ask his partner for help with the rule 3 times before he finally went out. After they talked, he said the play and call stand. His partner did not help him in any way! I forgot to include, after all that, they awarded the runners second and third. Well of course the other coach lost it at that point! I know I crossed the line as far as what I said to the umpire, and should have been dumped, as well as the other coach after he said his piece as well. Just not a good night.
A classic power struggle! The great thing about all this is that while one coach is often on the receiving end of the wrong call, here both coaches were amused by the display of talent on the field. Ball/strike, fair/foul and safe/out are thoroughly tested inside the classroom before an umpire ever steps on the field.

"A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that...

Rule 2.00 (Fair Ball) Comment: If a fly ball lands in the infield between home and first base, or home and third base, and then bounces to foul territory without touching a player or umpire and before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball; or if ..."

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 07, 2010 at 09:49pm.