The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Question

This occured in my daughter's game last evening, and I'm curious as to the correct call...

Runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. The batter hits the ball into the outfield for an apparent triple scoring both runners. Upon further discussion, it is agreed on by the coaches from both teams that the batter missed first and second base when rounding the bags. The batter was called out. The question...do the runs count?

This league is a coach-pitch league and uses volunteer umpires. There is no appeal process, etc. just a common agreement amongst the coaches, however, this was one where the coaches were at a loss.

The call stood as the runs did not count and the batter was out. For future reference, what was the right call and further more, if keeping a scorebook, how is it scored?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gobux
Upon further discussion, it is agreed on by the coaches from both teams that the batter missed first and second base when rounding the bags. The batter was called out. The question...do the runs count?
Appeal on missing 1st - OUT, no runs score. The reason is that no runs score with the third out of the inning is the batter-runner before reaching 1st or on any force out. An appeal of a missed base to which the runner was forced is treated as a force out.

Appeal on missing 2nd - OUT, runs score if they crossed the plate before the appeal (which they obviusly did). This is a timing play - runs before the appeal count; runs after the appeal don't.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
For your reference its simply scored as a Put out for the firstbaseman with a note regarding the missed base. A slick abbrevation might work if you can remember what it means. Something like AMB,PO3 might work (appeal missed base, putout firstbaseman)