The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

This is an interesting one

NFHS rules (though I don't know if the rule set makes a difference). R1, no outs, when the BR hits a line drive to RF. RF comes up throwing to 3B and R1 is retired in a quick rundown (5-6 if you need to know). The BR has taken the rundown as an opportunity to try and advance to 2B.

The second baseman is covering the bag expecting this when a ball from an adjacent field lands in the infield and, in one bounce, goes right to the second baseman who tags out the BR who is sliding into 2B.

Please help me understand how you would begin to untangle this mess and what your call, with references, would be. I'll admit ignorance of where to even start looking in the rule book for how to treat this situation (other than knowing that the BR is not out for being tagged by a ball from a different game!).

Your reward will be to hear the post-script (enticing, no?).
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Tagging the advancing runner with a ball from another game is like tagging him with an empty glove. TWP.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
NFHS rules (though I don't know if the rule set makes a difference). R1, no outs, when the BR hits a line drive to RF. RF comes up throwing to 3B and R1 is retired in a quick rundown (5-6 if you need to know). The BR has taken the rundown as an opportunity to try and advance to 2B.

The second baseman is covering the bag expecting this when a ball from an adjacent field lands in the infield and, in one bounce, goes right to the second baseman who tags out the BR who is sliding into 2B.

Please help me understand how you would begin to untangle this mess and what your call, with references, would be. I'll admit ignorance of where to even start looking in the rule book for how to treat this situation (other than knowing that the BR is not out for being tagged by a ball from a different game!).

Your reward will be to hear the post-script (enticing, no?).
To start with, when the "other ball" entered you field, one of you should have called TIME (and don't tell me both of you didn't see this ball come in). No matter what, there is nothing to untangle because the ball that F4 is holding is not the game ball. The BR is safe at 2nd and that's that.

Personally, I'd be too busy LMAO to make the call!
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I'd use the "loose equipment which interferes with play" rule, the "god rule" and the CS&FP handbook to make it right. Probably leave BR at second (if F4 was catching the loose ball, he couldn't have been about to catch a throw from F6 to play on BR)
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ozzy - sorry I didn't make it clear but I'm a coach not an umpire. Believe me, we saw the ball come onto the field and would have yelled "Time" if we thought it would have helped! That was ball #2 of about 6 that ended up on our field that night.

Also, agree that the tag meant nothing. Just thought it was a strange/interesting turn of events (A+ for the 2B having enough perception to see the ball and catch it, F- for situational awareness!).

As the post-script, the umpires on the scene agreed with Bob. Their decision was that the BR would have reached 2B regardless of the loose ball appearing on the field. The next batter got plunked anyway so it most certainly didn't impact the game and we didn't make a stink about it either.

The only thing we thought was that since the ball appeared on the field before he had reached 2B was that he should have gone back to the last base reached. By the responses it appears that common sense may prevail in cases like this.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd use the "loose equipment which interferes with play" rule, the "god rule" and the CS&FP handbook to make it right. Probably leave BR at second (if F4 was catching the loose ball, he couldn't have been about to catch a throw from F6 to play on BR)
I'm not a baseball umpire. But isn't the "loose equipment" rule supposed to cover the equipment of the teams playing (as opposed to equipment of others in the area)?

When I first read the OP, I would have gone with "spectator interference." That way I'm forced to kill the play, and it allows me to nullify the interference in whatever way I see fit. In the end though, we have the same thing: runner on second.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

similar play that I had

I hope the OP has been resolved and I'm not hijacking this thread.

I had a similar play. U14 select ball. No one on (partner in A). B hits grounder to F4. I'm starting to follow B up the line when a ball from an adjacent field comes into the infield. There are now two ground balls (other ball bounces towards F6), but everyone knows which one is ours. F4 fields the ball cleanly and I am shouting to everyone "PLAY ON". But instead of F4 getting the easy out, he starts watching the other ball and doesn't make a throw. I asked partner if he called time. No he didn't. I let the play stand. B on 1B.

Should I have killed the play? If so, by what rule/authority?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
When I first read the OP, I would have gone with "spectator interference." That way I'm forced to kill the play, and it allows me to nullify the interference in whatever way I see fit. In the end though, we have the same thing: runner on second.
That could work, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
I hope the OP has been resolved and I'm not hijacking this thread.

I had a similar play. U14 select ball. No one on (partner in A). B hits grounder to F4. I'm starting to follow B up the line when a ball from an adjacent field comes into the infield. There are now two ground balls (other ball bounces towards F6), but everyone knows which one is ours. F4 fields the ball cleanly and I am shouting to everyone "PLAY ON". But instead of F4 getting the easy out, he starts watching the other ball and doesn't make a throw. I asked partner if he called time. No he didn't. I let the play stand. B on 1B.

Should I have killed the play? If so, by what rule/authority?
It's not covered by any specific rule. The rules are written for MLB -- the rest of us just borrow them. When was the last time a ball from one park entered play at another in MLB?

So, it's all 9.01(c) (and the equivalent in other codes). Heck, I could even envision a "do-over" under the right circumstances.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

We have adjacent fields at our park. A ball from the next field is a regular happening. It rarely happens during live play but in 35 years I have NEVER seen anyone confuse the real game ball versus the extra ball - even in minors games.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
We have adjacent fields at our park. A ball from the next field is a regular happening. It rarely happens during live play but in 35 years I have NEVER seen anyone confuse the real game ball versus the extra ball - even in minors games.
+1

Play on. Don't listen to any whinging by the defense: tell 'em to make their play.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When was the last time a ball from one park entered play at another in MLB?
I had wondered the same thing and, while not directly comparable, came up with a variety of things like a ball/bottle/souvenir bat/etc. thrown by a fan onto the field in the middle of a play. Granted MLB players shouldn't be distracted and make the play, I'm just wondering what would/could be done. From what it sounds like it's a "play on" kind of thing, but wanted to throw out (excuse the pun) a couple of suggestions in answer to your question.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

I understand meteors are making there way into the ball parks now. Wonder if it was friday and a green can and white were thrown on the field, just as a meteor came flying through the park and hit the scoreboard and changed the score for the winning team from 15 to 0. What color jock strap would the streaker be wearing?

Can I get a rule reference on that also?

How Long is a Chinamens name.