View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
NFHS rules (though I don't know if the rule set makes a difference). R1, no outs, when the BR hits a line drive to RF. RF comes up throwing to 3B and R1 is retired in a quick rundown (5-6 if you need to know). The BR has taken the rundown as an opportunity to try and advance to 2B.

The second baseman is covering the bag expecting this when a ball from an adjacent field lands in the infield and, in one bounce, goes right to the second baseman who tags out the BR who is sliding into 2B.

Please help me understand how you would begin to untangle this mess and what your call, with references, would be. I'll admit ignorance of where to even start looking in the rule book for how to treat this situation (other than knowing that the BR is not out for being tagged by a ball from a different game!).

Your reward will be to hear the post-script (enticing, no?).
To start with, when the "other ball" entered you field, one of you should have called TIME (and don't tell me both of you didn't see this ball come in). No matter what, there is nothing to untangle because the ball that F4 is holding is not the game ball. The BR is safe at 2nd and that's that.

Personally, I'd be too busy LMAO to make the call!