The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

1st question of the season

Glad to be back for another season and am looking forward to speaking with you all again.

Had this one happen this weekend:

B1 hits a dribbler down the 1st base line that stays in fair territory. Pitcher moves to field ball and does so while standing in fair territory (I know it doesn't matter where he fields it in terms of fair/foul, it's where the ball is, but wanted you to know the position for the question). The BR slows up to avoid a collision that doesn't occur, then continues to run to 1st. Pitcher fields ball then throws to 1st for an apparent out.

HP umpire signals out (not sure why as it was the base umpire's call I think), but then the base umpire calls the HP umpire over, they confer, and rule that the BR is safe due to being obstructed by the pitcher.

According to OBR (we play USSSA) OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. The pitcher was fielding the ball and had not missed it so Comment to this definition doesn't apply, I think.

Further, USSSA states in Rule 8.07.J.12 Comment: When a catcher and batter-runner going to first (1st) base have contact when the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called. “Obstruction” by a fielder attempting to field a ball should be called only in very flagrant and violent cases because the rules give him the right of way, but of course such “right of way” is not a license to, for example, intentionally trip a runner even though fielding the ball. If the catcher is fielding the ball and the first baseman or pitcher obstructs a runner, going to first (1st) base "obstruction” shall be called and the base runner awarded first (1st) base. Substitute "pitcher" for "catcher" in the above comment and you have our situation. No contact was made between pitcher and BR, however, so I'm having a hard time understanding an obstruction call.

Any help you can provide in clearing this up would be appreciated.

Last edited by Rufus; Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 02:25pm.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

You're going to protect one fielder from obstruction on this play. It sounds like it should have been the pitcher.

They got the call wrong, and it should have been protested.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
You're going to protect one fielder from obstruction on this play. It sounds like it should have been the pitcher.

They got the call wrong, and it should have been protested.
+1

My state doesn't allow protests.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
The most common way, and really only way barring anything bizzare, you get an obstruction on F1 is when we have a dribbler up the line and F3 moves into field. F1 peels off to allow F3 to field, and causes a change in stride in the B/R.

In this situation, as others have said, F1 should be protected as long as he doesn't bobble beyond a step and a reach.

Also, it should be noted that the 45 foot runner's lane has nothing to do with this call.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

According to an OBR interpretation, if the pitcher is hovering over a ball to see if it goes fair or foul and the BR makes contact, it's neither interference nor obstruction.

This would to make sense, because the pitcher is not actually fielding the ball (interference), and he's not totally out of the picture and irrelevant to the play (obstruction). Therefore, there's only one logical option left: no penalty either way.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
According to an OBR interpretation, if the pitcher is hovering over a ball to see if it goes fair or foul and the BR makes contact, it's neither interference nor obstruction.

This would to make sense, because the pitcher is not actually fielding the ball (interference), and he's not totally out of the picture and irrelevant to the play (obstruction). Therefore, there's only one logical option left: no penalty either way.
I would like to see that interp. Please post.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
I would like to see that interp. Please post.
MLBUM 6.4 Example

(12) Runner on second base, no one out. Batter bunts the ball down the third base line. Pitcher and third baseman hover over the ball and let it roll down the line towards third, hoping it will go foul. The ball continues to roll down the line in fair territory with the pitcher and third baseman following it. The ball ends up rolling to third base, strikes the base, and then strikes the runner from second base who is now standing on third. Ruling: Even though the ball has technically not passed a fielder, the ball is alive and in play because the fielders had an opportunity to field the batted ball but chose not to. The runner is not out in this situation.

Alive and in play - therefore no interference, no obstruction.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
MLBUM 6.4 Example

(12) Runner on second base, no one out. Batter bunts the ball down the third base line. Pitcher and third baseman hover over the ball and let it roll down the line towards third, hoping it will go foul. The ball continues to roll down the line in fair territory with the pitcher and third baseman following it. The ball ends up rolling to third base, strikes the base, and then strikes the runner from second base who is now standing on third. Ruling: Even though the ball has technically not passed a fielder, the ball is alive and in play because the fielders had an opportunity to field the batted ball but chose not to. The runner is not out in this situation.

Alive and in play - therefore no interference, no obstruction.
I understand that interp, but it is different from the OP that I questioned.

Quote:

In the interp you cited, R2 is going into 3rd while the ball is going up the line. In the other OP, both the BR and the ball are going up the 1st base line.

If F1 decides not to field the ball and obstructs BR going into first, I have OBS and will award BR 1st if the ball stays fair. If I judge that the BR interferes with F1 while he is making a play on the ball, I have INT.

My point is that you can have INT or OBS in that case, especially if there is contact between F1 and the BR.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

It is the same principle. There is no penalty unless one party does something intentional.