The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Noob Question: Where Do You Ref After Basketball Season Is Over?

Where do you guys referee after the schools have finished their basketball season. Here in Canada, I believe it's around February (maybe soon, can't remember) that the schools stop playing basketball and the season is finished.

You guys still officiate, right? If so, where? Do you guys officiate things like travel leagues, other leagues, etc?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I'll have church league ball until well into March. I may work some wreck league stuff, just to keep the rust off for summer camps.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:51am
Do not give a damn!!

I will not officiate until the summer. Usually that means summer high school leagues or camps which can involve high schools or AAU teams. I am a 3 sport official, so I do not use much of the spring or fall to work basketball.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood
Where do you guys referee after the schools have finished their basketball season. Here in Canada, I believe it's around February (maybe soon, can't remember) that the schools stop playing basketball and the season is finished.

You guys still officiate, right? If so, where? Do you guys officiate things like travel leagues, other leagues, etc?

The HS season here in Alberta ends in March. Where I am our men's wreck ball goes into April. Youth club ball starts in May. Not to mention the summer is when Basketball Canada holds it's national U15 & U17 tourney. The message is I could officiate year round if I choose to.

Personally, I try not to take any games after the HS season ends. I need time to re-charge. I'll generally work about 20 - 30 games over the course of the spring/summer.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I have 4-5-6 and MS BB tourneys through March into first week of April. Then a month off before doing some AAU scrimages and then AAU, and HS summer tournys over the summer.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 10:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
One of our local rec leagues has a "spring league". Quality of play is not the greatest, but it keeps me in tune before I get into the competitive summer leagues. I can go about 8 months of the yr.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I like to work some off-season leagues but I've become very picky about what I'll do.

It has to be 3-person and my partners have to care. The quality of ball and my partners have to be quality enough that I don't develop bad habits. I will work with newbies if they truly want to improve.

I also get some off-season work by going to camps.

And being an evaluator at camp has helped me a lot. It is amazing what you can learn by teaching.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

When the JRHS season ends here in mid to late Feb and my rec league ends mid March....I take games at a local hoops facility (The Indiana Fieldhouse) that has multiple courts and runs their own leagues Spring/Summer/Fall/ Winter and hosts several Travel/AAU/Summer tourneys...

I can work year round there and have been doing games weekly since about July...I'm going to take about a month or two off after March to chill out possibly but...Right now with my wife out of work due to downsizing, the extra money is nice so I'm grabbing as many games as my legs will carry me for...